By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Some of these PS4 sales predictions are astonishingly low

What you think?

Crazy brah 18 54.55%

Not too crazy brah 15 45.45%

Total:33

I see some people predicting that it will sell less than the ps3 or the 360. to be honest it blows my mind that people think it won't outsell the ps1. it's selling so well and there are so many factors that point towards the ps4 selling way above 100 million that it's pretty much hitting you right in the face. it's selling much faster than the ps2, there's no 360 or wii to take major sales away from it, sony will support it for a decade, great games are coming, it still hasn't had a price drop at $400 and is selling extremely well. the worst part about these low predictions is the fact that we're on a sales site.

EDIT: your predictions have also been shattered multiple times with the ps4

Around the Network

Still sticking with my sub 100m prediction. Gonna be a short gen.

At least I hope so.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I also think the ps4 will sell more then 100m copies for all the same reasons... unless we see the ps5 sooner then we think

PS4 Game Collection

vivster said:

At least I hope so.

i would love another long gen, ps4 just started and i already have to think about buying another one in 3 years? fuck that

All signs point to a shorter Generation though, I'd say around 85m if it's a 5 year Gen like i'm expecting, if it ends up being as long as last gen then, id say about 110-115million

Around the Network
thedawghousev2 said:
vivster said:

At least I hope so.

i would love another long gen, ps4 just started and i already have to think about buying another one in 3 years? fuck that

The consoles are already underpowered and yet they are dreaming of VR which needs even more power. The next gen can't come soon enough.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Meh, who cares. It's just another persons opinion.

If feel that console sales will be very front-loaded this gen. If we look at the winners of the previous 2 generations, they won because they had mainstream appeal.

The PS2 was a DVD player, and the Wii had family-friendly motion controls.

The PS4 (or the Xbox One for that matter) doesn't really have that mainstream appeal. These latest consoles are really only designed to appeal to gamers, which is probably a good thing in my opinion. But it also means they won't maintain as much momentum throughout the generation.

"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

-Samuel Clemens

vivster said:

At least I hope so.

Short gen, no. Regular length gen, sure.

Mitch2129 said:
All signs point to a shorter Generation though, I'd say around 85m if it's a 5 year Gen like i'm expecting, if it ends up being as long as last gen then, id say about 110-115million

Even if it's a 5 year generation it doesn't mean sales won't keep going as they did for PS1 & PS2.  Almost half of PS2's lifetime shipments were after PS3 released.

PS4 is ~10 Million units ahead of PS2 at the same point in time.  It's not too crazy to expect it to hit 100 Million within 5 years, and then keep going.

PlayStation 2 sales figures (production shipments) (based on official financial reports[1][2])
DateTotal sales (cumulative)
Fiscal year ending March 31, 2000 1.41 1.41
Fiscal year ending March 31, 2001 9.20 10.61
Fiscal year ending March 31, 2002 18.07 28.68
Fiscal year ending March 31, 2003 22.52 51.20
Fiscal year ending March 31, 2004 20.10 71.30
Fiscal year ending March 31, 2005 16.17 87.47
Fiscal year ending March 31, 2006 16.22 103.69
Fiscal year ending March 31, 2007 14.20 117.89
Fiscal year ending March 31, 2008 13.70 131.6
Fiscal year ending March 31, 2009 7.90 139.5
Fiscal year ending March 31, 2010 7.30 146.8