By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What the PS Vita could have been

So the vita is pretty much dead , I am die hard sony fan and even I admit , it's a complete dissapointment

Those that praise it as an amazing jrpg machine , it has good but no special or genre defining jrpg like its ps counterparts like ps3 , ps2 , ps1 or psp

The ps vita could have been much more succesful if the psp go never happened , it made retailers very wary of sony handhelds 2. made call and android compatibility instead of unity so it won't have been destroyed by mobile gaming ( android is an open platform and sony could have made an optimized flavour for vita ) my 2 cents

Around the Network

PS Vita was pretty much dead on arrival.

Wut... Last time I checked... It wasn't due to retailers that the vita failed, it was due to Sony's laughable support and their outrageous memory card prices. The retailers carried the vita just like they carried every other platform, its not their job to make people buy Sony's product, thats Sony's job

And yes, phones are a competition, but that didn't stop the 3ds from selling over 45 million and that is still continuing to sell a lot and I can see it selling 55-60 million at least before it dies off

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

PSP Go is the best console ever created. I will not listen to any more of this! xD

Psvita could have been succesfull if it had at least the same support as PSP but it had a lot worst support from 3rd party.
People who said it's because of Sony first party lack of support i tell them that no matter how is the first paty support without third party support you can't succeed

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Around the Network
Emperorbach said:

So the vita is pretty much dead , I am die hard sony fan and even I admit , it's a complete dissapointment

Those that praise it as an amazing jrpg machine , it has good but no special or genre defining jrpg like its ps counterparts like ps3 , ps2 , ps1 or psp

The ps vita could have been much more succesful if the psp go never happened , it made retailers very wary of sony handhelds 2. made call and android compatibility instead of unity so it won't have been destroyed by mobile gaming ( android is an open platform and sony could have made an optimized flavour for vita ) my 2 cents

...What "genre defining" JRPGs were on the PS3?

spemanig said:
Emperorbach said:

...What "genre defining" JRPGs were on the PS3?

Ni No Kuni, Dark/Demon's Souls and Valkyria Chronicles?

Dr.Vita said:

Ni No Kuni, Dark/Demon's Souls and Valkyria Chronicles?

Ni No Kuni didn't define the genre, the Souls games are dungeon crawlers, and VC is an SRPG, not a JRPG. 

EDIT: That's not a slight on their quality. I think the Souls games "defintined" the dungeon crawling genre, VC "defined" the SRPG genre, and Ni No Kuni was simply a really good game. But it wasn't P4 good or SMT3 good.

Its dead if your looking for AAA games only.

Not retailers fault, they just aren't as bother as they are with other consoles and it's understandable. Sony's support has been piss horrible from the start and it hasn't gotten any better.