By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What the PS Vita could have been

I'm amazed that Sony didn't get together with SE, Capcom and all the major Japanese publishers for Vita the way they are doing for PS4. An RE, MH, FF, etc in the first year would have done wonders for the consoles trajectory and mind share.

Hell they could have been ports in most of those cases. Any mt framework games(DMC4, Lost Planet, RE5, RE:M, RE:R, Dragon's Dogma was dying to go portable and co-op to blow up much like MH, ) would have worked well on the platform. Any unity engine game should have been a go from SE such as TWEWY:SR+, Deux Ex:TF, Hitman Go.

When support should have been laughably easy Sony did nothing. Vita could never have been anything for that reason alone.

Around the Network
nitekrawler1285 said:
I'm amazed that Sony didn't get together with SE, Capcom and all the major Japanese publishers for Vita the way they are doing for PS4. An RE, MH, FF, etc in the first year would have done wonders for the consoles trajectory and mind share.

Hell they could have been ports in most of those cases. Any mt framework games(DMC4, Lost Planet, RE5, RE:M, RE:R, Dragon's Dogma was dying to go portable and co-op to blow up much like MH, ) would have worked well on the platform. Any unity engine game should have been a go from SE such as TWEWY:SR+, Deux Ex:TF, Hitman Go.

When support should have been laughably easy Sony did nothing. Vita could never have been anything for that reason alone.

From what I've read the assumed 3rd parties would be more supportive as opposed actually ensuring it/making up for it.

McDonaldsGuy said:

PS Vita was pretty much dead on arrival.

There was space on the Market for a hardcore dedicated gaming machine, sony was just never able to appeal to said market.

People really don't acknowledge how poor the systems software situation was at retail. Theres a reason why;

AC Liberation (trash),  COD (Trash) FFXHD (a remaster) and Uncharted (a launch title) are the systems highest selling games. 

The Vita should have allowed access to someting like Micro SD for a start. That would have taken the sour taste out of peoples mouths before they even bought the thing. Also, it should of had PS2 support. That back catalogue alone would have shifted double what it has done IMO. It wouldn't have been hard in this day and age to cram a PS2 in a handheld and run said games of Vita style carts or digital downloads. Imagine buying a handheld and having day one access to things like Kingdom Hearts, MGS, God Of War, Jak And Daxter (this list is more or less endless).

They should bin the Vita off and release one more handheld. Just called it Playstation Portable and have it able to run PS1, PS2, PSP and Vita all under one system.

PREDICTIONS FOR END OF 2015: (Made Jan 1st 2015)

PS4 - 34M - XB1 - 21m - WII U -12M

I wish they allowed SD memory cards on Vita. bad idea to not implement it.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network

It should have had an Android OS with true cell phone capability.

If it did that, it would have been massive.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

If I could turn back time, I would've:

Priced the system at $299 and included 32GB of flash storage.

Secured games like:
Final Fantasy Type 0,
Grand Turismo,
Jack and Daxter 4
Morrowind Remastered

way before the system was even out. Funded a COD port instead of a rushed mess of a game. Given more resources to the PSVita versus the PS3 which was already a success in 2011. That means taking money from titles like Starhawk, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank All 4 One, Q force and God of War Ascension and putting those resources into big Vita projects with 3rd parties like Final Fantasy 5 remake, GTA and some new stuff like a pokemon inspired RPG.

I remember making a thread about it a while ago and people were like ''sony would never do that''. Yeah because they were short sighted. Sacrificing some software revenue on potential PS3 games was a necessity to make the Vita more profitable, it would pay itself back in the long run and they'd already spend billions of RnD, they might as well spend a bit more to make the most of that endevour which they've already embarked on. Instead they continued to give Vita their B/C teams (aside from Media Molecule) and let it go months without any notable software releases. Essentially the Wii U but without Mario to back it up.

There were some market stuff out of sonys hands, but they could have doubled its success compared to what we see today.