By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What you think of gamers who afford every system, every gen?

Augen said:
I think if I have a backlog keep working down on then theirs must be insane.

Don't see your backlog as a burden which you have to work through, it's a pool of unfinished games that you can choose from whenever you like.

Around the Network

I used to get every single system, but then life started getting in the way and there just isn't enough time to play everything when working full time and having other commitments.

That said, I have ended up with a Wii U, PS4, PC, Vita and 3DS so far this gen, so I probably will end up with every system this gen as soon as the XB1 received a decent price cut in the UK (I'm waiting 'til it's under £200).

So actually, yeah... I guess I still do get every single system, just no longer on day of release/near to release like I used to.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Calculate about $500 for each system with a little peripherals like controllers and stuff = $1500. Buy 10 games for each system for $60 á piece = $1800. Use them for five years.
That will give you a monthly cost of $1500 + $1800 / 5 years / 12 month = $50
"As of July 2009, the federal government mandates a nationwide minimum wage level of $7.25 per hour"
Less than one days work per month to pay for your gaming hobby.

Make that one game a month for five years: 60 games for $60 = $3600.
$3600 (one game / month) + $1500 (three consoles) / 5 years / 12 months = $85 / month.
That is one and half days of minimum wage work.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_wage_in_the_United_States
Could this really be correct?

Have I made so fundamental wrong in my calculation? It seems to be a too small sum!

StokedUp said:
First of all I'd like to say fair play to the people who can afford to do this, but in all honestedy I'm more confused at how they make the time for every console (and PC game if they do that as well)

Me myself i cant afford to own every console so I've just gone for the one Ive always beived will give me the most enjoyment and for the past 4 gens its been all the plays station consoles, before that it was Sega megadrive then Sega Saturn I also owned a Sega Dreamcast.
But I'd never have the time anyway as I have other hobbies rock climbing, keeping fit and getting away from the city to go walking.

Multiple consoles don't mean multiplied gaming experiences.

For me it's rather the case that I need so many options to even have a steady stream of games. If I had only a PC or a PS4 or a Wii U this year would've been really dull(as would be the next year). I don't play very many games. Not because I don't have time but because there just aren't enough that would interest me enough.

Last year I played 3 games on PS4, 4 games on PC, 4 games on Wii U and one on PS3. Between them there were big stretches of nothing. That's barely 12 games stretched across 4 platforms. I can't even imagine how game starved I would be if I had only one option.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

baloofarsan said:

Calculate about $500 for each system with a little peripherals like controllers and stuff = $1500. Buy 10 games for each system for $60 á piece = $1800. Use them for five years.
That will give you a monthly cost of $1500 + $1800 / 5 years / 12 month = $50
"As of July 2009, the federal government mandates a nationwide minimum wage level of $7.25 per hour"
Less than one days work per month to pay for your gaming hobby.

Make that one game a month for five years: 60 games for $60 = $3600.
$3600 (one game / month) + $1500 (three consoles) / 5 years / 12 months = $85 / month.
That is one and half days of minimum wage work.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_wage_in_the_United_States
Could this really be correct?

Have I made so fundamental wrong in my calculation? It seems to be a too small sum!

Don't forget tax etc.

Although I get paid £9.26 or so an hour in the UK. I only see about £5.00 of that as the rest goes in Tax and National Insurance. So while a £40 game (inc VAT) would be about 4 hours work before tax, it'd actually be more like 8 hours work after deductions.

You've also got the factor of, people will often buy more games for a single system, than save that money towards a much more expensive additional system, or spend that money on other things (night's out, DVD/Blu-rays, music or whatever).

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network

Over the course of 5 years, its actually affordable. Its just a case of what people prefer to spend their money on.

I know plenty of people who spend $100+ a weekend of alcohol, takeaway/eating out, clubs etc.

I have them all. It allows me to basically never miss out on a game if it takes my interest. It also means that I can be more choosey instead of being forced to buy games I might not have a lot of interest in when their are quieter months.

I think quite highly of myself.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

My last paycheck was $2600.

Use that info as you see fit.

MikeRox said:
baloofarsan said:

Don't forget tax etc.

Although I get paid £9.26 or so an hour in the UK. I only see about £5.00 of that as the rest goes in Tax and National Insurance. So while a £40 game (inc VAT) would be about 4 hours work before tax, it'd actually be more like 8 hours work after deductions.

You've also got the factor of, people will often buy more games for a single system, than save that money towards a much more expensive additional system, or spend that money on other things (night's out, DVD/Blu-rays, music or whatever).

It was a VERY ROUGH estimation for a "worst case" scenario: ALL consoles, ALL games (one/month). Still it is within reach for almost everyone with a full time work in the USA and most parts of Europe, especially if you consider yourself a video game hobbyist.