By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Next Nintendo HW to increase or decrease on current gen sales?

increase or decrease for next generation ninty HW?

increase 203 66.78%

decrease 64 21.05%

results 37 12.17%

Total:304

The Fusion idea would mean selling a lot of combined hardware, increasing the home console numbers (maybe even bundling the two machines with one or two free games?). The handheld part would be difficult, but as long as they make Pokemon, they can at least match the 3DS sales.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
Nuvendil said:
zorg1000 said:
Nuvendil said:

There has never in the history of consoles been a console that sold that was weaker than the strongest previous gen console.  The Wii was more powerful than the Xbox.  And I firmly believe the Wii U successor must be more powerful than the PS4 by some margin.  And your proposal ensures that neither the home console nor the handheld unit will be more powerful than either of their most poweful previous gen competition (PS4 and Vita).  Such a console would be a disaster.  People may buy a modest upgrade, but no one buys a downgrade.  Heck, at $199 I don't even know if the thing would be as powerful as the Wii U and 3DS; you're asking for a package deal so each would have to be around $99 and that's bonkers for new hardware.

And with hardware prices falling passing the PS4 in 2017 or 2018 wouldn't even be difficult for Nintendo anyway so why not?  With the law of deminishing returns in full effect, now would be the worst time to bow out of the hardware race.  If they can be 75-100% more powerful than PS4 next gen - which would be easy, BTW - , Sony and MS would have to go a looong ways to get a worthwhile graphical edge over Nintendo.  

Just because it has never happened means it never can? And I said in another post that I think the handheld version will be more powerful than Vita. And no I'm not asking for a package deal. I think they will have a seperate handheld and seperate console but with the same architecture, operating system, online infrastructure that can share a library and offer cross-buy/cross-save.

Handheld version-between Vita & Wii U in terms of power, similar to 3DS being between PSP & Wii. Able to handle Wii U level visuals on a smaller  screen and lower resolution. Sold for $199.

Console version- slight increase over Wii U in power, similar to the increase from GC to Wii. Extra power allows it to run games at higher resolution with maybe some extra graphical effects. Sold for $199.

This let's Nintendo increase their software output by not having to make games for 2 completely different pieces of hardware, instead of having to make 2 seperate versions of nearly every franchise, Nintendo can now start to pump out new ip at a faster rate. This also ensures that the console will have 3rd party support since it will have all the same games the handheld has.

The Wii was at least twice as powerful as the GameCube and more powerful than the PS2 and the Xbox.  That "modest power upgrade" was a 100% increase and, again, more powerful than all 6th gen offerings.  And it would not help NIntendo's output that much at all because they still have to cater to two demographics which clearly don't overlap as much as people think.  Having the same games on both would not help all that much as many handheld franchises clearly don't interest those who don't buy the handhelds but do buy the consoles.  Same for the other way around.  I do agree with unifying the underlying structures of the consoles, but that can be done without compromising the progress of their home console offerings.  If the programming techniques are similar to each other then that will already allow for a very fluid workforce that can drift between platforms freely, allowing for a hihgly efficient development process in general.  A better investment would be expanding their output capabilities with more teams while maintaining the efficiency of individual teams.

Who cares that Wii was more powerful than PS2/Xbox? That aspect had absolutely no bearing on the success of Wii.

Their really isn't this huge difference between handheld and console gamers, at least when it comes to Nintendo. Look at all the big selling titles on 3DS, the majority of them are popular games that originated on consoles with the exception of Pokemon. Certain games have more success on one or the other, something like Animal Crossing is popular on both but clearly more so on handhelds just as a game like 3D Zelda is probably more suited towards consoles.

Gameboy pre-Pokemon had mostly sequels/spinoffs to popular NES games, Tetris was the only game that sold vastly better on the handheld. Big  games on GBC/GBA, outside of Pokemon were mostly sequels/spinoffs/ports to popular NES/SNES games.

PSP was mostly sequels/spinoffs/ports of popular home console games. Monster Hunter was the only one that sold a lot better on handhelds.

DS was the only handheld that has had a large selection of handheld specific titles and many of those games have seen huge declines recently. Brain Age is practically dead, Nintendogs had a nearly 20 million decline from the DS version.

Pokemon and Monster Hunter are the only really big titles are still relevant with a much bigger handled presence. Even so, Monster Hunter is still fairly popular on consoles and Pokémon never saw a mainline console title but they have had a bunch of successful spinoffs, so no reason to believe a mainline title wouldn't be successful as well.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I think it can, they learned from their mistakes this gen and hopefully don't mess up next time

zorg1000 said:
Nuvendil said:
zorg1000 said:
Nuvendil said:

There has never in the history of consoles been a console that sold that was weaker than the strongest previous gen console.  The Wii was more powerful than the Xbox.  And I firmly believe the Wii U successor must be more powerful than the PS4 by some margin.  And your proposal ensures that neither the home console nor the handheld unit will be more powerful than either of their most poweful previous gen competition (PS4 and Vita).  Such a console would be a disaster.  People may buy a modest upgrade, but no one buys a downgrade.  Heck, at $199 I don't even know if the thing would be as powerful as the Wii U and 3DS; you're asking for a package deal so each would have to be around $99 and that's bonkers for new hardware.

And with hardware prices falling passing the PS4 in 2017 or 2018 wouldn't even be difficult for Nintendo anyway so why not?  With the law of deminishing returns in full effect, now would be the worst time to bow out of the hardware race.  If they can be 75-100% more powerful than PS4 next gen - which would be easy, BTW - , Sony and MS would have to go a looong ways to get a worthwhile graphical edge over Nintendo.  

Just because it has never happened means it never can? And I said in another post that I think the handheld version will be more powerful than Vita. And no I'm not asking for a package deal. I think they will have a seperate handheld and seperate console but with the same architecture, operating system, online infrastructure that can share a library and offer cross-buy/cross-save.

Handheld version-between Vita & Wii U in terms of power, similar to 3DS being between PSP & Wii. Able to handle Wii U level visuals on a smaller  screen and lower resolution. Sold for $199.

Console version- slight increase over Wii U in power, similar to the increase from GC to Wii. Extra power allows it to run games at higher resolution with maybe some extra graphical effects. Sold for $199.

This let's Nintendo increase their software output by not having to make games for 2 completely different pieces of hardware, instead of having to make 2 seperate versions of nearly every franchise, Nintendo can now start to pump out new ip at a faster rate. This also ensures that the console will have 3rd party support since it will have all the same games the handheld has.

The Wii was at least twice as powerful as the GameCube and more powerful than the PS2 and the Xbox.  That "modest power upgrade" was a 100% increase and, again, more powerful than all 6th gen offerings.  And it would not help NIntendo's output that much at all because they still have to cater to two demographics which clearly don't overlap as much as people think.  Having the same games on both would not help all that much as many handheld franchises clearly don't interest those who don't buy the handhelds but do buy the consoles.  Same for the other way around.  I do agree with unifying the underlying structures of the consoles, but that can be done without compromising the progress of their home console offerings.  If the programming techniques are similar to each other then that will already allow for a very fluid workforce that can drift between platforms freely, allowing for a hihgly efficient development process in general.  A better investment would be expanding their output capabilities with more teams while maintaining the efficiency of individual teams.

Who cares that Wii was more powerful than PS2/Xbox? That aspect had absolutely no bearing on the success of Wii.

Their really isn't this huge difference between handheld and console gamers, at least when it comes to Nintendo. Look at all the big selling titles on 3DS, the majority of them are popular games that originated on consoles with the exception of Pokemon. Certain games have more success on one or the other, something like Animal Crossing is popular on both but clearly more so on handhelds just as a game like 3D Zelda is probably more suited towards consoles.

Gameboy pre-Pokemon had mostly sequels/spinoffs to popular NES games, Tetris was the only game that sold vastly better on the handheld. Big  games on GBC/GBA, outside of Pokemon were mostly sequels/spinoffs/ports to popular NES/SNES games.

PSP was mostly sequels/spinoffs/ports of popular home console games. Monster Hunter was the only one that sold a lot better on handhelds.

DS was the only handheld that has had a large selection of handheld specific titles and many of those games have seen huge declines recently. Brain Age is practically dead, Nintendogs had a nearly 20 million decline from the DS version.

Pokemon and Monster Hunter are the only really big titles are still relevant with a much bigger handled presence. Even so, Monster Hunter is still fairly popular on consoles and Pokémon never saw a mainline console title but they have had a bunch of successful spinoffs, so no reason to believe a mainline title wouldn't be successful as well.

It very much does matter that the Wii was more powerful than the Xbox and PS2.  But now imagine if the Wii had been half the power of the Xbox?  Good lord it would have caused rioting.  A "modest" upgrade the Wii U - say  75% increase - would result in the Wii U's successor being very noticeably weaker than the PS4 and Xbox One with virtually no noticeable visual upgrade of any kind over the WiI U and the thing would be a joke of a joke compared to the next Xbox and Playstation offerings.  And I was simply making the point that there has never been a console weaker than the previous gens offerings.  Ever.  And if there was such a platform, the ammount of backlash, insults, and bad press would destroy it.  This is the age of connectivity; the news sites and even developers and publishers out there would absolutely rip them to shreds to the point where most people wouldn't even touch the thing.  Public perception is huge and this would ruin Nintendo's image for good.  Remember all crapstorm of 2013?  All the insults and borderline slander?  Multiply that times 10, I absolutely guarantee you. 

I don't know.
I am hoping better, but Nintendo really needs to have an interesting launch game to show why the next hardware is awesome.

1. NES had Super Mario Bros.
2. SNES had Super Mario World
3. GB had Tetris
4. GB Pocket had Pokemon
5. N64 had Mario 64.
6. DS had Brain Age
7. Wii had Wii Sports

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Nuvendil said:

It very much does matter that the Wii was more powerful than the Xbox and PS2.  But now imagine if the Wii had been half the power of the Xbox?  Good lord it would have caused rioting.  A "modest" upgrade the Wii U - say  75% increase - would result in the Wii U's successor being very noticeably weaker than the PS4 and Xbox One with virtually no noticeable visual upgrade of any kind over the WiI U and the thing would be a joke of a joke compared to the next Xbox and Playstation offerings.  And I was simply making the point that there has never been a console weaker than the previous gens offerings.  Ever.  And if there was such a platform, the ammount of backlash, insults, and bad press would destroy it.  This is the age of connectivity; the news sites and even developers and publishers out there would absolutely rip them to shreds to the point where most people wouldn't even touch the thing.  Public perception is huge and this would ruin Nintendo's image for good.  Remember all crapstorm of 2013?  All the insults and borderline slander?  Multiply that times 10, I absolutely guarantee you. 

If Wii was half the power of the Xbox, it still would have gotten all of the Nintendo games and kid/family/casual friendly 3rd party software. Literally nothing would have changed, it was already mocked for being weak, making it weaker would have just seen the same thing.

When will people realize that the PS/XB audience is not the same as Nintendo's. Nintendo devices have always sold based on their exclusives, even back in the NES/SNES days when Nintendo did have strong 3rd party support, it was exclusives that sold the consoles. Take away Nintendo's 1st/2nd party titles and make Final Fantasy/Mega Man/Castlevania/Dragon Quest/etc multiplats and NES/SNES dominance comes to a screeching halt.

Nintendo consoles also don't sell based on power. Did NES dominate because it was a graphical beast? No, it dominated because it had 100's of  games not playable on other devices. Did SNES beat Genesis because of power? No, it beat it because it had the more popular exclusives. N64 was more powerful than PS1 yet it sold 70 million less. Gamecube was more powerful than PS2 yet sold 135 million less. Wii was way less powerful than PS3/360 yet outsold both.

Nintendo consoles sell based on the software, not the power. Wii U isn't selling poorly because of its power, it's selling poorly because it has an awful software output, costs too much for what it offers, and has horrible advertising/marketing.

A low-cost console with high exclusive software output is what Nintendo needs, being as powerful as the competition doesn't really help them, it just gives them a slightly higher chance of recieving multiplats which have never been a huge contributor for Nintendo's hardware sales.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

What a strange topic. How should I know? I have no idea what those systems will be like.

I could make a guess based on this generation sales, but when has that worked? Based on that, nobody would have expected the Gamecube's successor to sell 100M+ or the XBox successor and PS3 successor to sell the same amount.

Nuvendil said:
I honesty think the dedicated handheld market is back to pre-DS ~75-85mil in size now that the neighboring mobile demographic jumped ship. Given this gen it's divided and next gen it will be just Nintendo, the HDS or whatever it is will be up, probably a good bit.

I think the next Nintendo home console will be up but it's the wild card.

I don't want to look pessimist, but I'm not sure 3DS is going to reach these numbers.   I believe the next Nintendo console will do better in the market than the WiiU is doing while their next handheld will do a little worse.

zumnupy10 said:
Nuvendil said:
I honesty think the dedicated handheld market is back to pre-DS ~75-85mil in size now that the neighboring mobile demographic jumped ship. Given this gen it's divided and next gen it will be just Nintendo, the HDS or whatever it is will be up, probably a good bit.

I think the next Nintendo home console will be up but it's the wild card.

I don't want to look pessimist, but I'm not sure 3DS is going to reach these numbers.   I believe the next Nintendo console will do better in the market than the WiiU is doing while their next handheld will do a little worse.

3DS+Vita is on track to sell that much, u can't exclude one device just because it's not selling well

I think dedicated handhelds will continue to decline into the 50-55 million range next gen (maybe even less)

Nintendo's next console will sell about the same as Wii U, but I think it will be more profitable, being based off the handheld chipset, so it will be cheap and profitable from day 1.