By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Gas is 1.89 in my area, what are the ripple effects of this era of cheap gas in America?

Burning Typhoon said:
Fracking is going to destroy the land. But hey, at least gas is cheap, right. People are stupid as they always have been. So enjoy your cheap gas, and enjoy the consequence later.

The price of gas has absolutely nothing to do with Fracking.

It's mainly Saudi Arabia selling oil for super cheap.  Hell these cheap gas prices will probably put american companies doing the Fracking out of business cause fracking is not cheap and at oil prices at what htey are now, they won't make any money.

Around the Network
Pipedream24 said:
Tootylicious said:
Clyde32 said:
They want to smoke out Russia.

Pretty much this.

No. It has nothing to do Russia...It's just side effect that the Russian economy is imploding since they along with Venezuela are broke and depend on their oil exports to stay afloat. The cheap gas is being caused by OPEC. With the U.S. and Canada producing large amounts of shale oil, there has been an increase in the global oil supply that has been exaggerated by a decrease in demand. 

The shale companies need oil to stay above $65 a barrel in order to make a respectable return on investment.  OPEC knows this and has refused to reduce their output in order to drive the price down and slow down the shale oil companies. There plan has already began to work. Oil is currently in the area of $58 barrel and investment in new shale oil production has slowed. It will take at least 6 months before the market will reflect this but oil prices will begin to rise in late 2015/early 2016. 

Yea pretty much.  It's OPEC doing what we have laws against doing in America.  Lower the price of their product so low that all the competitors go out of business, then being the only one left they have a Monopoly and can charge whatever the hell they want.

More expensive than ever...

Pipedream24 said:
Tootylicious said:
Clyde32 said:
They want to smoke out Russia.

Pretty much this.

No. It has nothing to do Russia...It's just side effect that the Russian economy is imploding since they along with Venezuela are broke and depend on their oil exports to stay afloat. The cheap gas is being caused by OPEC. With the U.S. and Canada producing large amounts of shale oil, there has been an increase in the global oil supply that has been exaggerated by a decrease in demand. 

The shale companies need oil to stay above $65 a barrel in order to make a respectable return on investment.  OPEC knows this and has refused to reduce their output in order to drive the price down and slow down the shale oil companies. There plan has already began to work. Oil is currently in the area of $58 barrel and investment in new shale oil production has slowed. It will take at least 6 months before the market will reflect this but oil prices will begin to rise in late 2015/early 2016. 

^this, Russia is just an unfortunate victim in OPEC's oil war. Anyone that thinks this war is good is a fool as in the long term it will lead to higher prices as competitors go bust. The same idiotic situation is happening with mining at the moment, especially iron ore where there is a massive over production as they all try to steal market share and drive the small players out of the market.

$5 a gallon is cheap

What you paying now is pocket change.

Around the Network

It is 1.75 where I live

WagnerPaiva said:
Russia gets angry. Nuke fly.
There, these are your ramifications.
Enjoy your cheap gasoline.

lol i hope you know better then to actually beleive that.

Also they are already angry always are, living in 3rd world conditions and all.  Military wise they are a touthless clawles old grumpy half dead bear still thinking its 50 years ago whem he was in his prime. 

Im loving my cheap gas, 40 to fill up rather then 110.  AWESOME.  

$2.28 where I live. Not ideal, but wayyyyy better than border line $4 like i used to be.

BlkPaladin said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Cheap gas in the US means that the US government or OPEC is trying to hurt old producing countries like Russia, and Venezuela. Hell, it can hurt the US too in the long run.

It's not really OPEC but Saudi Arabria that decided to do this. They wanted to hurt two of their competitors, Canada and Mexico who are interesting enough part of OPEC, who had started to take some business away from them; and from the looks at some of the responses it is working. And goes to show that the market is basically in the hands of one country. They are sitting on the biggest oil reserve is the reason why they are in "control".

Though I have heard some idiot praise Obama for this, though it does have some ecconomic pluses it needs to stay at this price for a while until the "ripple" effects can be felt. It took about a year when they oil started to go up before logistics started to really adjust their prices and suppliers for my company follow after that.

Obama is getting sarcastically praised for this because he was bashed for oil prices increasing by critics when he has NOTHING to do with oil prices increasing or decreasing. Some people pointed at high gas prices and claimed obama has EVERYTHING to do with that. So now that gas prices are at an all time low, people are praising Obama because if he has everything to do with gas prices being high than he has everything to do with gas prices being low. lmao

It's honestly just sarcastic praise to laugh at the extreme far right obama critics.

Still over $2 where I live.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!