By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - gamedevelopment: What Destiny's Failures Can Teach Us About Game Design

Ka-pi96 said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
Scoobes said:

That's because it is an MMO. A heavily stripped down MMO, but an MMO none the less.

I'm guessing point 4 is directly addressing the lack of common MMO features.

Okay tell me what about it makes it a MMO.

How about the fact that you share the game world with loads of other players and some events really require you to work with them. Sounds just like an MMO to me...

Sounds like a multiplayer mode.  Who cares if u share the world with them if u cant interact with them, ie trade or communicate. 

Around the Network

People keep on blaming this game for everything but in reality many people still buying this game and playing as we can see it in best sellers list. This game focused on what most of the gamers these days want which is multiplayer and online elements to play with friends. You all have to get used to these kind of stuff in future as many gamers still supporting this so developers will keep focusing on this as long as they have sales instead of looking story, single player which does not sell like multiplayer games anymore.

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

spemanig said:

Over promising isn't game design. It's marketing. And it doesn't run smoothly. It runs at 30fps.

I think he's talking about shooting. I tried the demo and it's completely butter. I've never felt like I was in control of my gun more in a FPS before. It's really nice.

Ka-pi96 said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
Ka-pi96 said:

How about the fact that you share the game world with loads of other players and some events really require you to work with them. Sounds just like an MMO to me...

Sounds like a multiplayer mode.  Who cares if u share the world with them if u cant interact with them, ie trade or communicate. 

Trading and communicating don't make MMOs. Being Massively Multiplayer and Online make MMOs. Destiny is online and does have a massive amount of people playing simultaneous, therefore MMO.

I wonder why Bethesda bothered making Elder Scrolls Online, just let players see other players in the next Elder Scrolls and they can just call it a MMO.

Been reading this thread through. I played WoW from Jan 2005 to about a year ago. I got Destiny when it came out and thought it was just OK but decided to give it another go. I am now hooked (as far as I can tell) with Destiny. I'll be honest - I am still only an L24 in Destiny but just want to keep playing it. Time is an issue because I have a family with 3 kids :).

I think Destiny is a game that has to have an online connection. Why? first, the game would not be itself if there were no guardians everywhere you went. I have been currently concentrating on Vanguard. Vanguard events all require co-op to do, whether you get Vanguard marks for Public events (an idea kind of from Warhammer online), or from Strikes. Like WoW, there are limits to how many Marks you can get a week (100). It is the PvE of Destiny.

PvP (or Crucible), also obviously requires an online connection (unless people here are advocating Bungie should employ bots).

The Tower is just the hub and seriously, if this game is not an MMO to some here because you cannot "interact" more with other guardians, then I seriously think there is something wrong with that way of thinking.

People seem to either hate or either love this game. I seem to recall WoW had this perception issue as well. Lol when a new MMO came out and WoW went quite for a month until the free month expired on the new MMO and then prodicals came back to WoW.

I'm not saying Destiny is the same but I am saying, I gave Destiny another go and currently can't let go of it. I don't want it to be exactly like WoW. But at the same time, I can acknowledge Destiny has many genuine MMO elements to it. It is a game that requires an always online connection to work. I just think trying to say this is for nefarious reasons is stretching it.

Around the Network
KingdomHeartsFan said:
Ka-pi96 said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
Scoobes said:

That's because it is an MMO. A heavily stripped down MMO, but an MMO none the less.

I'm guessing point 4 is directly addressing the lack of common MMO features.

Okay tell me what about it makes it a MMO.

You can interact with them, but the game greatly limits it and makes it a pain in the backside for you to do so in a truly meaningful way. You have to find the player in the game world, add them as a friend via your console and invite them to your fire-team before you can start truly playing/striking/raiding together.

Without that communication though, you can enter into the shared MMO area and help players through certain areas, or participate in the shared random events that take place. None of this would be possible if it was purely offline. The whole loot cave phenomena is actually a good example of what makes this an MMO; even through non-verbal communiation you had large, completely random groups of players joining together for a common goal.

And you can't tell me the 6-player raids are not staple of an MMO. It's an MMO-lite to be fair, but Destiny is still an MMO.

Essentially its another 'all style no substance' kind of game.

Its not that devs can learn from Destinys mistakes, its that Destiny itself didnt learn from previous games.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda