By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FACTS vs. FICTION – Volume 1

MikeRox said:
Justagamer said:

No one on earth thought the ps1 was more powerful than the n64. Stop joking.

The games often looked better. That gives the impression of being more powerful.

It's actually just that the PS1 had much more versatile architechture meaning it was able to make certain genres look better. Not all games were huge open 3D worlds, which is what the N64 was designed around. Put a PS1 game in a corridor or whatever, and it was able to pull of perceivably equivalent visuals. I can't think of a racing game on the N64 that looked better than say Ridge Racer Type 4 on the PS1. Plenty of 60fps beat em ups on the PS1 too which looked silky smooth whilst most N64 beat em ups ran at half that.

PS1 had a more versatile media, that is the only thing that was better. The ps1 had the ugliest, pixelated mess for textures, polygon tearing up the ass, polygon warping and bending, it was so horribly underpowered, it wasn't even in the same class as the n64. It had the superior library, but please stop with the nonsense that it was more powerful. If the ps1 was more powerful than the n64, then the x1 is more powerful than the ps4... atleast they are actually close in terms of performance, where as the ps1 was not even close to the n64 in terms of power. Not even close. The n64's best could never have been done on the ps1. Simple as that. 

Around the Network
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Anyone have a tl:dr version by any chance? No? Tagged for reading then

basically read it from the bottom post upwards, if you can stomach that then you will enjoy the rest.

Reads something like this.

- Processing power will make the ps4 not sell somehow!

- Every console and PC that sells will somehow make a Wii-U sell!

- The Wii-U controller is good and should be sold with the Wii-U (no clue why this needs to be stated)

Errrr... there was another point but I forgot it because the processing power of the ps4 stopped a sale.... sorry that is the main point to be had here.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

johnlucas said:

If every PlayStation 4 owner bought a Wii U & every XBox One owner bought a Wii U as their Second System, then that’s TWO Wii U’s for every ONE PS4 & XOne.
And you have to figure that some people will pick Wii U as their Main System so that would make THREE Wii U’s.
Also take into account the PC gamers—even those of the so-called PC Master Race. If they buy a Wii U, that’s FOUR Wii U’s.

You are not exactly a mathlete are you, I think I now understand how you managed to make such outlandish sales predictions for the Wii.

Justagamer said:
MikeRox said:
Justagamer said:

The games often looked better. That gives the impression of being more powerful.

It's actually just that the PS1 had much more versatile architechture meaning it was able to make certain genres look better. Not all games were huge open 3D worlds, which is what the N64 was designed around. Put a PS1 game in a corridor or whatever, and it was able to pull of perceivably equivalent visuals. I can't think of a racing game on the N64 that looked better than say Ridge Racer Type 4 on the PS1. Plenty of 60fps beat em ups on the PS1 too which looked silky smooth whilst most N64 beat em ups ran at half that.

PS1 had a more versatile media, that is the only thing that was better. The ps1 had the ugliest, pixelated mess for textures, polygon tearing up the ass, polygon warping and bending, it was so horribly underpowered, it wasn't even in the same class as the n64. It had the superior library, but please stop with the nonsense that it was more powerful. If the ps1 was more powerful than the n64, then the x1 is more powerful than the ps4... atleast they are actually close in terms of performance, where as the ps1 was not even close to the n64 in terms of power. Not even close. The n64's best could never have been done on the ps1. Simple as that. 

Read my actual post. I haven't once said the PS1 was more powerful than the N64. And no, it had a more versatile architecture (it ran far more genres more competently). N64 was geared up to huge (at the time) open worlds, and even games in closed environments (racing games, beat em ups, etc.)  were treated as if they were these. That was why so many games that ran at slick 60fps on PS1 had choppy frame rates on the N64 which as I said gave the PERCEPTION (look the word up if you don't know what it means) that the PS1 was the more capable system.

Pre rendered backgrounds also helped A LOT. They took up a lot of space and N64 cartridges just weren't suitable for it, but at the time, looked much better than polygonal games.

Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Dino Crisis etc all helped give the perception that the PS1 was a more powerful system.

The N64's best I agree, would not work on PS1 (Crash Bandicoot was a corridor platformer for example) however, there were so many other genres and games that the PS1 did far better, that it was still perceived by many as the better and more capable machine.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

ganoncrotch said:

basically read it from the bottom post upwards, if you can stomach that then you will enjoy the rest.

- The Wii-U controller is good and should be sold with the Wii-U (no clue why this needs to be stated)

Errrr... there was another point but I forgot it because the processing power of the ps4 stopped a sale.... sorry that is the main point to be had here.

Da faq? loll. Thank you for saving me from reading this nonsense

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

"I am the VGC idiot."

Loll, I can see that now!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

ganoncrotch said:

Da faq? loll. Thank you for saving me from reading this nonsense

can consider it my new years present to you!

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Tagged for the giggles.

MikeRox said:
Justagamer said:
MikeRox said:
Justagamer said:

Read my actual post. I haven't once said the PS1 was more powerful than the N64. And no, it had a more versatile architecture (it ran far more genres more competently). N64 was geared up to huge (at the time) open worlds, and even games in closed environments (racing games, beat em ups, etc.)  were treated as if they were these. That was why so many games that ran at slick 60fps on PS1 had choppy frame rates on the N64 which as I said gave the PERCEPTION (look the word up if you don't know what it means) that the PS1 was the more capable system.

Pre rendered backgrounds also helped A LOT. They took up a lot of space and N64 cartridges just weren't suitable for it, but at the time, looked much better than polygonal games.

Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Dino Crisis etc all helped give the perception that the PS1 was a more powerful system.

The N64's best I agree, would not work on PS1 (Crash Bandicoot was a corridor platformer for example) however, there were so many other genres and games that the PS1 did far better, that it was still perceived by many as the better and more capable machine.

No, the ps1 hardware didn't run genres better, that doesn't even make sense, lol. And back to that argument, it didn't run resident evil and such better due to its hardware, but due to cds. Again, lol. And if the perception, in your eyes, made the ps1 look better, well, maybe a good pair of glasses would have helped clear that fuzzy view up. 60 fps doesn't help hide those ugly ass graphics, neither does poor eye sight.

You're wrong about everything. The WiiU has been out for 2 years and isn't selling anywhere near PS4 levels and will, in fact, end up dead last.

Japan is more and more irrelevant as they move towards mobile and westernification of their games.

And finally, PS4.