By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Do you think the FDA has too much power?

I lol'd. Out loud.

Around the Network

yes

The days of misleading miracle pills are not over. It's just that now, the misleading miracle pills are approved by the FDA.

spurgeonryan said:

I think the days of radium and other potentially missleading medical miracle pills are gone.

We are struggling to deal with cancer, autism, aids, ebola, and anything else you can think of.

In fact, I believe the rest of the word has less strict guidelines on most medical related issues and it shows. America is behnd...

What are your thoughts on FDA?

LOLOLOL

You can not possibly be serious. America is drowning in placebos and it's impossible to miss the barrage of class action lawsuits being advertised by ambulance chasers against metabolic pills that cause liver / kidney failure, acne pills that cause suicidal tendencies and anxiety medication that causes male breast growth. It doesn't end there either. By making the FDA an enormous, inefficient bureaucracy they struggle to perform the tasks assigned to them while completely ignoring many hazardous matertials banned in more developed nations. I will admit that the FDA is at times needlessly obstructionist and always grossly inefficient but America needs far stricter regulations.

The FDA is a complete joke, they don't care about anyone's health.

Around the Network

As we move forward with technology, medication is going to become more personalised and customised to the patients own needs and issues. This does not sit well with the FDA's mode of operation of multiple phases of testing, group testing, etc.

It's hard to group test a pill designed for spurgeonryan's needs when there's only one spurgeonryan.

Many FDA regulations can be easily circumvented, and any pills approved anywhere in the world can be easily (well, with growing ease) obtained in the USA anyway, the FDA's monopoly on power in this field is fading over time. On top of this, some states have began nullifying areas of FDA regulation, for example, Arizona voters have recently approved a law that let's terminal patients sign waivers and legally use non-certified medications.

No. I think I need more power.

As a non American person, i like fda more then most european equivalent istitutions.

You have no idea how painful the approval of new drugs is here. A lot of papers, and a bunch of stupid old people with power are always in the way with cobservative thinking and incompetence.

FDARaptor said:
No. I think I need more power.

Took me a second but then I was like:

If you knew the kinda **** that goes down in the psychopharmaceuticals industry, you would ask if the FDA and other regulatory agencies might need more power. And I'm not talking placebos. The process by which psychological illnesses are added or removed from "the book" is essentially controlled by the drug companies and guess what coincidentally coincides with additions or broadening of definitions? That's right: can they sell a drug for it. And the prescribing process is out of control as a result. There are kids - especially orphans - in the States on anywhere from four to over a dozen psychotropic drugs at once. These are powerful drugs that can have serious effects on brain chemistry and functions. There are kids who come out of these situations braindamaged for goodness sake! That whole industry is completely screwed up with greed, corruption, and corporate politics and is a sterling example of how companies will jepordize your health or life for their bottom line. So no, the FDA isn't too powerful; such walls are needed.