By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - remastergate = buttery xbox fans

Last gen was the start of remasters and collections. It was a practice that was mainly on the ps3 and pretty much went through the ps3 lifetime. The entirety of remastering started basically when sony took backwards compatibility away. This forced you to have to rebuy ps3 versions of the ps2 games you would have played if bc existed.

As usual this was immediately met with disdain from xbox fans and a some nintendo fans. Sure, xbox and nintendo had great games, and the fans of both looked at ps3 fans and said "you dont even have a proper catalog. Half your games and announcements are ps2 games".

Its a valid argument, but of course ps3 owners still wanted to play thise old games and didnt want to have to own yet another console to play them. For ps3 owners, it was a solution. 

As time went on we saw more and more, again mainly from sony first party studios. Ypu should find this accurate.

However, it was this same mentality that helped sony in the long run. Toward the end of the generation, there is a problem with waning interest and slowing sales. Usually unless youre atlus, this creates a problem wherein first party studios stop making games because they wont make money from the lowered sales. Consumers think otherwise though.

So, sony dropped game after game in the late years, jnowing that they could simply up-port (remaster) any game they release. After all, theyd been doing it all gen long. This is the reason why we got huge games like gt5 and TloU in the late years...because based on experience, it would be financially mitigating. Ms on the other hand turned all their resources onto making games specifically for new hardware...which is why there was such a drought in the later years.

And now that both systems have no backwards compatibility, they are now both doing remasters and so are third party multiplatformer devs. And yet, sony is still the ones being persecuted for their remaster library, and xbox fans are still griping about it. This is why this issue has become so intrinsic to this gen, because now both sides are attacking other companies over remasters.

Dont forget everyone, that remasters are why ps3 had, arguably, the game of the generation over 2 years ago. Xbox COULD have had titanfall among others last gen but instead chose to do simultaneous releases after xb1 came out. 

This authors view does not reflect vgchartz or vgchartz3.0, gamewise or its forum or members. All names have been redacted to protect any hurt feelings. Author does not have stocks or investment positions in named companies or in remaster technology.

Around the Network

Tl; dr
Xfans are still buttery over last gen and jsing the same arguments and are just even more buttery now that ps4 is dominating because of better strategic management.

I have no problems with remastered games, unless they're remastered ONE year after the original game. That just doesn't make sense to me. I think Nintendo has done a great job sop far with their remastered games.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

HD collections > Remasters. Paying 60 dollars for an upres of 3 games that came out a while ago is far better value than paying 60 dollars for an upres of one game that came recently.

Some people also feel ripped off that a better version of a game they payed full price for was likely already planned/underway when the game released initially. But sure lets just call all the people who have an issue with this practice xbox fanboys cause thats gonna help things....

the reason i hate remasters are b/c i feel like i got robbed and played the inferior version while the devs knew all along that a remastered version was coming

some of these games take 50-150hr to complete and 100% take in point gta5 if you bought it last gen and completed both online and SP would you want to have to redo it again on next gen consoles? you certainly want all the improvements but dont want all your progress to start over just a yr later?

even a simple linear game like tlou goes past 100hrs if your trying to platinum it

Play Me

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
I have no problems with remastered games, unless they're remastered ONE year after the original game. That just doesn't make sense to me. I think Nintendo has done a great job sop far with their remastered games.

Not like that is going to persist throughout the gen, devs are only doing it now to bridge the time until their next full game comes out and to make some extra cash.

It's not a bad point about ps3 having a lot of remasters, but there are a ton on the x360 as well, the dmc hd collection, mgs 2+3 hd, silent hill hd collection, resident evil 4 hd on the store, hitman hd collection. I know they're all 3rd party stuff but some games like Resi evil hadn't been on a Microsoft console before so it was pretty class to get to play it for the hardcore Ms fans.

I've no real issue with hd ports or remasters... it's just more choice for the gamer as to what they wanna play... how anyone has issue with that being available on their console of choice or anyone elses is beyond me.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

DanneSandin said:

It's not like this year's games will be remade.  You saw a lot of 1 year remasters because we had a generational leap in this past year.  Coincidence?  I think not.  If we get a few 1 year after remasters every 7 years (or whenever we make a generational jump) I don't think that's a problem.  Would you rather them delay the game just to up port it to the next gen?  I would rather have it on both.  Release it when you finish it then remaster it for next gen.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

ganoncrotch said:
It's not a bad point about ps3 having a lot of remasters, but there are a ton on the x360 as well, the dmc hd collection, mgs 2+3 hd, silent hill hd collection, resident evil 4 hd on the store, hitman hd collection. I know they're all 3rd party stuff but some games like Resi evil hadn't been on a Microsoft console before so it was pretty class to get to play it for the hardcore Ms fans.

I've no real issue with hd ports or remasters... it's just more choice for the gamer as to what they wanna play... how anyone has issue with that being available on their console of choice or anyone elses is beyond me.

thing is it doesn't hurt anything.  Sony had no major studios delaying games because of HD collections.  Hell Sanzaru got to make Sly HD and it was a nice foot in the door for them to make my favorite Sly yet with Thieves in Time.  Hopefully more devs get a nice remaster to work on to make their inroads with a first party dev before making their own game.  It's also a great way to garner interest in a long dormant series (why they should have a super Kingdom hearts Hd collection for PS4 before KH3 comes out)

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

"Last gen was the start of remasters and collections."

Come again?

Flawed OP is flawed right from the get-go.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.