By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 360 Arcade/Core Hate

The Xbox 360 Arcade/Core has been hated for a long time now but I feel the hate is overrated.  Main issue people seem to have with is the lack of a hard drive and how expensive it is compared to the pro though the Arcade version did make it a better value with the 5 free games and memory card though the pro would still be the way to go. 

In terms of the hard drive people usually refer to the devs having an issue with it as we seen recently the Bourne Identity dev complaining among others like Assassins Creed having issues fitting etc.  Quite honestly if they want to use the hard drive then they can because MS doesn’t make it a mandate that you have to make your game compatible with the Arcade/Core though obviously it you would decrease exposure of your game to that small population or the way I look at it if it is a kick ass game then those people will upgrade and buy the hard drive.  As far as I know and please correct me if you have a link or source no game has been cancelled for the Xbox 360 because of limited space issue.  Now I know there are games that haven’t even been made or showed that devs have said potentially might not fit but until that is truly proven to be the case then it is a mute point.  Finally the beauty to all this is that those same devs could easily just require the hard drive for their “uber” game since according to the Data the Arcade/core  it is a small portion of the 360 installed so sales shouldn’t be highly impacted.  Basically if it even becomes an issue about space the hard drive is available kind of like Burnout Paradise requiring it play online.

Now that we got that issue out of the way since again it seems to be the most prevalent one when talking about the Xbox 360 Arcade/Core lets talk about the good thing this system does for Microsoft.  The main thing the Xbox 360 Arcade/Core does for Microsoft is provide flexibility.  It allows them to have a cheaper model which soon will actually be cheaper then a Wii.  It allows people who may just want to play games a chance to afford one and now with the new memory card included save their games.  This is perfect for many previous generation owners who only bough their systems for games like guitar hero, ddr or now rock band.  That lower price gives you entrée into a huge library of games that do not require a hard drive to play just like the previous generation.  Not all games have to be huge to be fun so you can make great games that will run great without needing a hard drive etc.  By the way you can go on xbox live and play with the memory card that comes in with the Arcade so if you wanted you could play online of course unless is Burnout Paradise heh.  Bottom line the Xbox 360 Arcade/core works great as a plain video game system.  All you have to do if you ever wanted to get into downloadable content is upgrade but there are many people who still haven’t found the internet so the Xbox 360 Arcade/Core is the perfect solution. 

Obviously there will always be second guessing just like I still feel we should have had a hard drive with every 360 but is really not as bad as it is sometimes made out to be. 

Around the Network

Ugh. I hate PR Spin.

I tell you - I think the core offers a cheaper way into HD gaming. It offers HDMI outputs and you can hit eBay and buy a hard drive for like $50. However, why I think it's a good deal is - it doesn't shove tons of unnecessary features down your throat. You don't have to pay for an HD player, wifi, card reader slots and the like.

While some enjoying paying a premium to play video games, I am not among them.

^ People are so clueless.

DMeisterJ said:
Ugh. I hate PR Spin.

LOL How about you try to spin the other way around? Oh yeah you rather troll since it is easier to ignore then discuss :)

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:

Care to elaborate or just going to troll everyone that responds to my opinion?

elnino334 said:
DMeisterJ said:
Ugh. I hate PR Spin.

LOL How about you try to spin the other way around? Oh yeah you rather troll since it is easier to ignore then discuss :)

Well, I'd have to say that at least ninety percent of 360 owners disagree with the OP, as we all know, the arcade sells like crap.  No one buys them.  They were the only one left during the "shortages", and even during the shortages, people were opting not to buy them, rather than buy the Pro/Elite.  I don't see how there's any good way that you could spin that.  But I was trolling, I deserved that.

elnino334 said:
DMeisterJ said:

Care to elaborate or just going to troll everyone that responds to my opinion?

I called him clueless, because of the way he takes subliminal jabs at the PS3 (Wi-fi, card readers), when the you can get te 40 GB PS3, and pay less of a premium than getting the Elite XBOX 360.  And you get a Blu-Ray player, but I'm not getting into another argument about Blu-Ray again.

The Arcade is just a way to force players to delay some of their costs.
People buy Arcade thinking it's cheaper and then realize later they have to buy a HD if they want to enjoy any of the games DLC ( GTA4 anyone ?).

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

DMeisterJ said:
elnino334 said:
DMeisterJ said:
Ugh. I hate PR Spin.

Well, I'd have to say that at least ninety percent of 360 owners disagree with the OP, as we all know, the arcade sells like crap.  No one buys them.  They were the only one left during the "shortages", and even during the shortages, people were opting not to buy them, rather than buy the Pro/Elite.  I don't see how there's any good way that you could spin that.  But I was trolling, I deserved that.

Where did you get the 90%?  I asked my friends and they don't seem to mind the Arcade/Core.  Hell two of them bought it though since have upgraded to a hard drive.  Are you just basically saying 90% of Premium/Elite owners hate the Arcade/Core?  Not saying your wrong since I personally don't have a huge sample but based on my experience is not 90% with most people not even caring.  Of course making up such a high number would make your argument seem much better especially for fanboys.  By the way I prefer my thread to just die before it gets bumped with troll post so unless you would like to share more please keep it at a minimun :)