By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 360 Arcade/Core Hate

Domo-Kun said:
So, I can save 10 bucks, get the 5 games, and I can pop down 280 right now instead of 350.

Sounds like a deal. :)

but u get a used HD wich is yuckie :P

Around the Network

Alright I will admit I bought a Xbox 360 Arcade.

I know everyone remembers me trading in an Xbox 360 for a PS3 and vice-versa for about 3 times I did it. And at the end of it all I bought the PS3 80GB. I then went to Best Buy days later after purchasing the PS3 80GB and found out that most of the Arcades have the new 65nm CPU installed in them. So behold I bought a Xbox 360 Arcade and it came with a 256MB Memory Card (so no need to save big games or anything, just game saves) that day and walked out paying $280. Went home and found out it was indeed the new heatsink and 65nm CPU :)

As a result I bought a headset and a 20GB HDD from my friend days later. I got the 20GB HDD for $40 from a friend and I bought a headset and Halo 3 the following day.

I must say I'm satisfied with my Xbox 360 Arcade because:

A) It has the 65nm CPU and as a result quiet DVD-Drive (Ben-Q) and discs come out totally cold, not hot like most Xbox 360 discs did with Elites and original launch units.

B) I can buy extra things when I felt like buying them (HDD, Headset)

Again satisfied with my Arcade purchase :D

ChronotriggerJM said:
@Elmino, of course people can read the boxes, but as we've seen with the PS3 40g lacking of backwards compatibility, thats not always the case ;) It's the same deal here. And all I said was that it's confusing >_>; which it is... I'm not going to bring a pencil and notepad to the store to write down what each console does or doesn't do, and talking to a sales rep can be a mixed bag of usefulness as most of us here know :/

I guess all in all, if I question the arcade, and someone says it's a gimpy version of the premium, I know which one I'm NOT going to buy.

Your last sentence is the key!  If the sales person tells you it is a gimpier version which by all practical purposes it is though it explains the cheaper price tag then you can decide to buy it or not.  I am sorry but I just don't see what is so confusing.  I mean quite literally the difference in the sku's is the hard drive as in one has it, another has one with 20 gigs and finally the third one has a 120 gig.  The rest like the 5 free games from the arcade or the black finish of the elite is just preference.  In the end which ever system you get for the most part you will be able to play about 95% of the games with the prospect of just picking up that hard drive if you wanted to get that other 5% or all the other bells and whistles.  I mean in time the pro might seem like a gimp version once we start filling it up and those people will *gasp*  buy the 120 gig hard drive if they so desire.  Hey I am not saying is the best deal or value but those are the options available and quite frankly don't think is that hard to follow. 

elnino334 said:
ChronotriggerJM said:
@Elmino, of course people can read the boxes, but as we've seen with the PS3 40g lacking of backwards compatibility, thats not always the case ;) It's the same deal here. And all I said was that it's confusing >_>; which it is... I'm not going to bring a pencil and notepad to the store to write down what each console does or doesn't do, and talking to a sales rep can be a mixed bag of usefulness as most of us here know :/

I guess all in all, if I question the arcade, and someone says it's a gimpy version of the premium, I know which one I'm NOT going to buy.

Your last sentence is the key! If the sales person tells you it is a gimpier version which by all practical purposes it is though it explains the cheaper price tag then you can decide to buy it or not. I am sorry but I just don't see what is so confusing. I mean quite literally the difference in the sku's is the hard drive as in one has it, another has one with 20 gigs and finally the third one has a 120 gig. The rest like the 5 free games from the arcade or the black finish of the elite is just preference. In the end which ever system you get for the most part you will be able to play about 95% of the games with the prospect of just picking up that hard drive if you wanted to get that other 5% or all the other bells and whistles. I mean in time the pro might seem like a gimp version once we start filling it up and those people will *gasp* buy the 120 gig hard drive if they so desire. Hey I am not saying is the best deal or value but those are the options available and quite frankly don't think is that hard to follow.

Fair enough I suppose ^^ I'm just not down for having to buy add-ons to do certain things. So the only difference between all these models is Hard drive? Or is there more? Also do you need a hard-drive to play online?

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

I think it will become more of a problem as the generation goes on, particularly when DVD's start to show their space limitations.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

The Arcade is $70 cheaper (in the USA) and has no HDD but comes with a 256MB memory card and free downloads of "Pac-Man Championship Edition, Boom Boom Rocket, Luxor 2, Feeding Frenzy and UNO" (thanks Best Buy). I think it's a different color.

That's the whole difference.  The memory card lets you play online from what I understand.  

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

akuma587 said:
I think it will become more of a problem as the generation goes on, particularly when DVD's start to show their space limitations.
But that has nothing to do with Core/Premium/Arcade/etc. In fact, why did you mention this in this thread?

[edit:  Oh, I think I see.  You anticipate that games will begin to move stuff onto the HDD to compensate for running out of space on the disc.  Am I right?  That's not a very obvious connection IMO and you should have said so if that's the case.  If that's not what you mean, back to my original question.]

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

The issue with Arcade / Core is:

a) the supposed low entry they give seems false as MS uses Live, DLC so much as being main drivers for the console (and therefore themselves essentially making the Core/Arcade seem like a cheap / subpar choice)

b) the cost of ugrading with HDD seems too high if you decide you want DLC, etc. so they seem like the wrong entry choice unless you know you're not going to want to upgrade.

c) they represent a pretty obvious steath approach where once you commit to 360 you will very likely ugrade and sink more money into the console - that's not a good consumer response to generate

Ultimately I think whatever the price these units will not compete well with the Wii - and ultimately that's the problem with them. They're not really wanted by those who will buy a Wii (cheaper or not) as the games the Wii buyers want are on the Wii. Conversely if you look at core 360 owner they are going to want DLC for map packs, games, etc and will view the Core/Arcade as 'the option for idiots'.

If I was MS I'd quietly drop them from the range if they don't sell when price is same as Wii - and I doubt they will but you never know.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

elnino334 said:
Dno said:
elnino334 said:
Dno said:
madskillz said:
Dno said:
DMeisterJ is right...
you did take a few stabs at the ps3 madskillz

Also it is a known fact that buying the core is stupid. Once you buy it you get a harddrive. theres at most 10% of people still out there with out a Hardrive for 360. gaming needs a HD now we all know it.

Also microsoft is telling devs not to make games big (Street fighter HD anyone) or require a Harddrive because not everyone has one. thus making the games load longer... not he best option for someone like me with an elite..... Thats why i have my affordable playstation and with a 250 gig HD. its STILL very close to the elite price and it comes with the new standard for DVDs (which it will be soon) Blu-ray.

There's no need to ever buy a hard drive unless you want to play Xbox games or get downloadable content. And for a used one checking in at $199, you can still play Halo 3, Gears, Bioshock and Mass Effect.

The hard drive is nice to have, but it won't stop you from playing 360 games one bit. It's a choice - and I happen to like choices. 

point is you cannot play everything with the core..... not HD movies, no DLC, Not burnout online and crackdown, and lots of other things. At least with the ps3 20,40,60 and 80, you can do all the things other ps3 owners can do. (ps2 games of course i no but i didnt add that on the xbox core list either)

To use play dmeister make up numbers game you can play roughtly 95% of 360 games with the Arcade/core.  Only game that requires it is the FF MMO and the rest is optional for extra things but playable so that is the 5%.

right and it just so happens i own those 5% of games ff11 (i play mab to often) burnout (but on ps3) and crackdown. if i bought the core id be pissed. so to answer this thread the core does suck for MOST people and thats why everyone hates on it. its a trick, u get the system for cheap but u need 5 things to play things that microsoft promised...its bullshit and thats why i (and others as u can see) hate on it.

LOL if you bought the core you should know where you getting into.  Is called reading!  Seriously I am going to buy an hd-dvd player and hope that it plays blu-ray movies LOL. Again this may be an issue for grandma or even mom but for a gamer give me a break.  Guess I should add that to the third thing wrong with the Arcade/Core, people who don't know how to read may buy it and get screwed.  I geuess it sucks for that 1% of people of those 5% buying an arcade/core.

i do read and thats why i have an elite^^. and d never buy a core cause when i wonna upgrade it cost more

I think the reason for poor Arcade sale is also due to a lot of misinformation by store clerks.  I have been at Best Buy so many times and overheard the salepersons telling customers that 360 Arcade can not play a lot of 360 games.  I often heard something like oh if you want to play Halo3 you are going to need Premium / Pro.

Personally I think Arcade is a nice 2nd console for person that said already have PS3 or Wii and only interest in a few of the 360 Exclusive games.  It also for gamers that are not looking to heavily spend time on Live and such.  While we might think that it is dumb for people that buy Arcade sku but that's $80.00 they don't need to spend for Premium/core for features they won't used.  There are still people that buy system just so they can play Madden or Halo3.

Not everyone lifestyle is like your or mine.