By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How can Nintendo expect to sell WiiU's when they are so damn overpriced??

Ruler said:
dam4rus said:
Ruler said:
It is overpriced, nintendo needs to lower the price. If they fear losing money then they should drop the gamepad

Yeah, and make some game unplayable without buying one (ZombiU, Rayman Legends, Super Mario 3D World, Captain Toad, you know... the best games on the system). Nice plan genius. The GamePad is fine, it's a solid controller and even though i have a 32 inch Full HDTV i prefer playing Mario Kart on the GamePad. It's the third best selection to play Smash with (GC controller > Wii U Pro Controller > Gamepad). Also, it's easier to navigate the menus/browser/eShop/MiiVerse with the GamePad. So, just, no.  I don't think the Wii U will ever sell magnificently, but hey, it's already profitable, while MS never ever got profitable with the Xbox brand. Go figure.

They can update these games and the os.

Yes and waste man power on updating old games just to run on a newer system and make the OS run on 2 branch... As a software developer i tell you, it wouldn't work and would be a big waste of manpower and money. Also, you can't force third party developer to update their games to make it work without the GamePad... The GamePad will stay until the next hardware is released, deal with it. They should focus on making the GamePad a better value instead.

Around the Network
veritaz said:
KLXVER said:
Well the online is free, its BC with the Wii and you don't have to buy your downloaded games again. The price is fair imo.

It's also not as good and doesn't come with PS+/Games with Gold or 3gb of cloud saves. You do have a point with the BC but that isn't really a reason to not lower the price so I don't think the price is fair. It's been out 2 years and needs a decent pricecut. 

Funny you say that. Wasn't PSN and Xbox Live down this holiday weekend? Hilarious. Yeah Nintendos network is soooo bad.

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/237/~/psn-status%3A-online

Intermittent now. Oh boy intermittent online is so great! Haha pay to have intermittent connection? No thanks. I'll stick with my pretty stable steam connection.

Funny, how nobody mentioned how much you save on the games themselves... In my country, most Wii U game cost 40 euro, while GTA5 remaster costs 70 effing euro on PS4... Most PS4/Xone game costs 60-70 euro, which I can buy for 10 euro on a Steam sale... Also, if you had a Wii (which is most, than likely), you don't have to buy new controllers just to play local multiplayer, which costs you 50 euro on other consoles/controller (because DS4 has a share button and Xone controller has force feedback triggers...). I'm sorry, but the Wii U is still the best price/value current gen console.

Anfebious said:
They expect you to get a second job.

You can't tell people to get a second job.

What you should do is encourage people to get a better job . Always stay positive :)

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Hi there. I'm a new member. Nice to meet you. To be honest, i don't really think that it's overpriced. Here in Greece, you can find Basic Pack with Nintendo Land, Just dance and remote control for only 240 (this is the pack that i bought :D). And you can also find premium with MK at about 320. Well, i don't know about you guys but i think that here we have a good price level.

Around the Network
errorpwns said:

Funny you say that. Wasn't PSN and Xbox Live down this holiday weekend? Hilarious. Yeah Nintendos network is soooo bad.

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/237/~/psn-status%3A-online

Intermittent now. Oh boy intermittent online is so great! Haha pay to have intermittent connection? No thanks. I'll stick with my pretty stable steam connection.

How is a group DDOSING Sony and Microsoft proof their internet infrastrucutre isn't better? The group doesn't care about the Nintendo network enough to do anything to it and if they did it would certainly be down longer. Plus you are leaving out the 72 free games a year and 3gb cloud saves for every game.

The free multiplayer argument is flawed, it didn't work for the expensive PS3 and shouldn't be allowed for the Wii U either. It's crazy it's still this expensive 2 years in and doesn't even have good storage.

dam4rus said:

Yes and waste man power on updating old games just to run on a newer system and make the OS run on 2 branch... As a software developer i tell you, it wouldn't work and would be a big waste of manpower and money. Also, you can't force third party developer to update their games to make it work without the GamePad... The GamePad will stay until the next hardware is released, deal with it. They should focus on making the GamePad a better value instead.

They released a Wii with no online capability.  So all eshop/VC games were inaccessible, and any games with online had those features unavailable.  I don't think it is beyond them to break functionality in games with new hardware.  Presumably they would start selling the gamepad standalone, which is more of a workaround than the Wii Mini has (as far as I know).

The OS is already mostly useable without the touchscreen.  Going between system settings, Wii U Menu, daily log, etc is still really slow, so the OS could probably use a major overhaul either way.

With all that said, I doubt they remove the gamepad at this point.  Especially with Amiibo, they wouldn't want to add an extra barrier to entry for that.

The holiday deals definitely make the other consoles more appealing than the Wii U. Of course, the normal prices ($399 for a PS4/XBO and $299 for a Wii U, at least in the US) doesn't really help, either. That's only $100 more for systems that are a big leap ahead of the Wii U in terms of power (especially the PS4), and you get all the big 3rd party games, unlike the Wii U. Which you can't really blame the 3rd party devs/pubs, as for the most part, their games just don't sell well on the Wii U.

Of course, it's pretty apparent that Nintendo is focusing on profit over marketshare. I fully expect them to drop the price to $249 late next year. Unfortunately for them, Sony and MS will also be dropping their prices. This will once again make the price difference $100. Or worse, $50 if they decide to drop to $299. If Nintendo wants to recover from their situation, even if only to start selling decently, they would need to drop it to $199. I don't think Nintendo can afford this, though.

vivster said:
Anfebious said:
They expect you to get a second job.

You can't tell people to get a second job.

What you should do is encourage people to get a better job . Always stay positive :)

That is what they are doing enouraging people. The industry is in collusion to make you want all their products, hence the only way to do it is to better life style.

ktay95 said:
spurgeonryan said:
My best buy had 65 and now have 15. They are sellng.

I disagree

Platform N. America Europe Japan Global
215,466 357,396 14,609 713,315
297,676 147,213 850 515,598

94,156 54,801 25,443 187,952

This is 13th December.