By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How can Nintendo expect to sell WiiU's when they are so damn overpriced??

I am in 100% agreement with you on this.

I want to buy a WiiU but it's too expensive for a second console right now.

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

Around the Network
mine said:
OVERPRICED??

CHANGE YOUR PERCEPTION

UNDERVALUED!!

Value is determined by what the market is willing to pay. The WiiU provides great value to a specific group of people, but its low sales (relative to the competition) make it clear that in its current form, the WiiU is a poor value proposition to the average gamer.

watch they are gonna have a a price cut an a a cool zelda bundle

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

veritaz said:
KLXVER said:
Well the online is free, its BC with the Wii and you don't have to buy your downloaded games again. The price is fair imo.

It's also not as good and doesn't come with PS+/Games with Gold or 3gb of cloud saves. You do have a point with the BC but that isn't really a reason to not lower the price so I don't think the price is fair. It's been out 2 years and needs a decent pricecut. 

Yeah instead you can buy great games for about $7.99 (dark spiders 2), resident evil ($15) monster hunter 3 ($15) for the price of the $50 subscrtion and you actually get to choose what you want. I did enjoy ps+ but most of the games were just left sitting as I, as many people are, pick a game depending on my mood and what I want. 

Zekkyou said:
Materia-Blade said:

it's interesting to note that wii u owners must save 150+ dollars a year when you consider free online + low power consumption.

They should cut the price soon though. I'm thinking april next year alongside splatoon. $249 for game bundles ans $199 for a gameless bundle would be great. they could keep those prices untill late 2016.

Sure, if the PS4/X1 owner you're comparing too plays a game every hour of every day of the year ^^

2/3 hours a day already makes that big difference.

Around the Network
cfin2987@gmail.com said:
veritaz said:
KLXVER said:
Well the online is free, its BC with the Wii and you don't have to buy your downloaded games again. The price is fair imo.

It's also not as good and doesn't come with PS+/Games with Gold or 3gb of cloud saves. You do have a point with the BC but that isn't really a reason to not lower the price so I don't think the price is fair. It's been out 2 years and needs a decent pricecut. 

Yeah instead you can buy great games for about $7.99 (dark spiders 2), resident evil ($15) monster hunter 3 ($15) for the price of the $50 subscrtion and you actually get to choose what you want. I did enjoy ps+ but most of the games were just left sitting as I, as many people are, pick a game depending on my mood and what I want. 

PS+ gets around 72 games a year, even if you only like a dozen that more than pays for itself especially if you get deals for a year of plus for $40.  Resident evil has been on it too so you would have saved $15 right there.

It's a dumb point though and doesn't really matter because I was just getting astounded by the multiple people saying the free online is a reason they shouldn't price cut it. PS3 has free online and people wanted a price cut when it was expensive multiple times. If you're going to make free online as a bonus at least mention the mountain of games that come with it and 3gb of cloud saves.

Yeah, if you add decent size storage to the Wii U it cost more than the xb1 or almost as much as the PS4.... Despite its merits, I can't bring myself to getting one (add the normal cintroller to the price also...) it makes no monetary sense.

Materia-Blade said:

it's interesting to note that wii u owners must save 150+ dollars a year when you consider free online + low power consumption.

They should cut the price soon though. I'm thinking april next year alongside splatoon. $249 for game bundles ans $199 for a gameless bundle would be great. they could keep those prices untill late 2016.

That is what I have been saying for a long time, people perceive that the console is expensive, but is in part because there is no option to get the console cheaper without any game. If they start offering a Deluxe cheaper console with NO games, people will fell that the price difference is bigger that it actually is, and perception of the consumer is a big deal.

I don't see any problem with WiiU's price, it's already cheaper than the other two consoles and offers a nice library of exclusive games.

Materia-Blade said:

2/3 hours a day already makes that big difference.

Doesn't change the fact your original comment is nonsense. The estimated lifetime (5~ years) energy cost of an X1 is about $150. That's certainly a lot more than the WiiU, but your comment implied you would be paying almost $100 more (minus XBL) per year. That $150 drops to around $80 - 90 if you don't mind cold booting it, rather than putting it into standby.

On a side note, it's not really fair to group the PS4/X1's online costs in a linear comparison with the WiiU. Many people are more than happy to pay it for all the additional features both provide. Heck, i started paying for PS+ before the PS4 was even released, since i think the "free" games provided offer far more value than the cost of the service itself. That continues to be the reason i pay for it (otherwise i wouldn't bother, i don't play online on consoles much). That won't be the case for everything, but it's something that should be taken note of.