By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Sony and MS have the courage to compete with Nintendo in 2016?

How will this play out?

Sony will compete but MS will status quo 98 24.02%

MS will compete but Sony will status quo 21 5.15%

Both twins will compete 152 37.25%

Nintendo won't be hindered. 137 33.58%

Total:408

I really think that releasing a new console in 2016 is a bad idea.

The Wii U will only have been on the market for a few years which is way too short for a home console, whether it's selling well or not, as long as it's not only producing a loss in profits.

Around the Network
padib said:
Cheebee said:
routsounmanman said:
It baffles me to see people actually having to point out that Sony, MS and Ninty all start working on their next console as soon as the previous one is released! What would their hardware teams supposed to do until the next hardware launch? Take leave? Enjoy tea parties? Or do people think that designing a console takes mere months?

Why yes! I mean, we can all build a gaming PC in a matter of days or weeks, can't we? Surely those big companies can have a fabulous new console ready in no time at all! It's silly they need entire R&D departments for that, anyway.

Addin to the fact that the 3DS team would have started in early 2011 by the same logic.

Yeah, even though they did put out the XL, 2DS, and both 'New' handhelds out in the meantime, 5+ years seems plenty to develop a true successor system.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Versus_Evil said:

Why would they? NN next console we can assume won't have third party support that ship sailed along time ago that will take a long time to repair. Also by then the XO/4 will be in their stride . The real question is.

Do NN have the "courage" to release another console that early? For me personnaly its a little to early.

I agree, It would be way to early and customers would feel that nintendo is not backing their products and may not in the future.

Wouldn't releasing another console this early in this console gen be alienating all of it's wii u player base? Why buy any of their consoles if they make another in a few years.... The wii u needs quality games not a replacement console this early. If it's true that they are planning on releasing it any time before 2019, they are idiots. This new console is more like 8.5 gen and not the 9th gen. 

Sony or MS don't have to worry about nintendo when it's making decisions like that.

badgenome said:
This is assuming a lot, chiefly that North Korea will even let Sony survive to see 2016.

Any the post of the year goes to...!

Around the Network
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Wait, why do you think that Nintendo will release their console in 2016?

Because the Wii U is selling worse than the Dreamcast and that would be the smartest business move to make considering.

That won't be nearly enough. If all Nintendo can do is create a unified platform, they're in trouble. That is only fixing one problem. It's a step in the right direction, but they need to do a lot more if they want that console to be the threat you're describing.

by the day, nintendo will realse theire next home console (q1 2016 earliest. probably q4 2016)

ms and sony both will be at at 199/249 pricetag
so how exactly will nintendo compete with them both at that point?
that console will only be bought by nintendo ip fans. not really the same audience, some will compete for...

and at that time even the casual and Kids audience will be at ms or sony.
nintendo would have to win all that customers back.

so u asked the wrong question.
how will ninento try to compete

1st year of every console but the dreamcast is pretty dry. 2016 is also when Eastern support will pick up for the PS4.

2016 will be the year of the PS4. The Xbox is the wild card.

2016 is too early for a wiiu successor. Mid/late 2017 depending on what MS and Sony are doing is a bit more reasonable.

And the New 3DS will be more than capable of holding its own in the handheld market for at least another 3 years.

I just dont see it happening as soon as you think.

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)