By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox One vs PS4 Year One Review (Eurogamer)

SubiyaCryolite said:
I'll be honest, I don't see Eurogamers angle here. What do they consider to be next gen gameplay? Games that simply cant run or scale to older hardware? Games with radically new concepts? Will they consider Uncharted 4 to be next gen? What makes 3D World more next gen than Galaxy? What makes Smash for Wii U more next gen than Brawl? According to them what should Capcom do to make SFV more "next gen" than SFIV? This is very subjective and confusing.

It's really getting old this "next gen gameplay" thing people keep screaming about and using as a negative for every single game. Suddenly people can'y enjoy games that played just like they do last year. Shadow of Modor was one people kept saying finally had next gen gameplay so I got the game and it was so boring. Yes the nemesis system was cool but beyond that the story was horrible like really really bad. I felt no urge to do any of the main missions cause I just didn't care.

Around the Network
Ruler said:
VanceIX said:
Ruler said:

900p vs 1080p is quite a difference if you see it that way

http://i.imgur.com/rM2J3KC.jpg

As someone who owns a PS4 and an Xbox One, the difference is unnoticable in real life.

So what its still better, its not like xbox one games are 10$ cheaper than ps4 games.

"Better" means very little when it isn't noticeable. More important than some unnoticeable pixels or the random game here and there with better frame rates, is controller preference and online preference. And those are completely subjective.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

VanceIX said:
Ruler said:
VanceIX said:
Ruler said:

900p vs 1080p is quite a difference if you see it that way

http://i.imgur.com/rM2J3KC.jpg

As someone who owns a PS4 and an Xbox One, the difference is unnoticable in real life.

So what its still better, its not like xbox one games are 10$ cheaper than ps4 games.

"Better" means very little when it isn't noticeable. More important than some unnoticeable pixels or the random game here and there with better frame rates, is controller preference and online preference. And those are completely subjective.

it is noticeble

Ruler said:
VanceIX said:

it is noticeble

I think he would know what is noticeable to him better than you or anyone else.

Ruler said:
VanceIX said:

it is noticeble

Yeah, um, OK. Listen, I don't think you understand. I own and play each console almost daily. I'm as unbiased as it gets, and the multiplatform games look near identical. Sure, on paper there is a slight difference, but in real life, almost no one will be able to pick out the difference between upscaled 900p and native 1080p, unless they are right next to the TV and seriously looking for it.

No, in this case, console preference should not come down to multplatform graphics, since both look too similar to make a case for buying one just for those graphics. 

The main differences, like I said before, include controller preference, online preference, UI, multimedia features, and exclusives preference. If you want, I'll even give you a comparison, since it's looking like you haven't played both enough to see the similarities and differences.

Controller

PS4
+ Rechargeable controller
+ Great for racing games and sports titles due to pedals L2 and R2 buttons
+Much more comfortable than PS3 controller
- Battery life is abysmal
- Share button is annoying
- Touch pad is unutilised in most games and is harder to press than the 'select' buttons in older consoles.

Xbone
+Very good battery life
+ Impulse triggers are actually pretty nice
+ Excellent for shooter titles due to trigger LT and RT buttons
+ Much improved D-Pad from 360
- Smaller sticks make for a slightly worse grip
- Recharge option is extra money
- D-Pad and LB/RB buttons are annoyingly clicky
- Xbox button is harder to reach and needs to be held to turn on console

My preference: I think the Xbox One controller is a bit more comfortable in the hand, but the PS4 controller is much better than the PS3 controller. I also prefer the buttons on the PS4 controller, simply because the clickiness of the Xbox One bumpers and D-Pad get on my nerves. The deal breaker for me with this, though, is that the PS4 controller runs out of charge very fast. I can barely get 4-6 hours of play before needing to charge. I'll gladly swap out batteries if it means not needing to charge every few hours, so this round goes to the Xbox One.

PSN
+ Amazing value if you are invested in Sony's ecosystem (free PS Vita/PSP, PS3, and PS4 games every month)
+ Much more stable than last generation
+ Cheaper yearly membership
+ Great selection of indie titles
+ Online-only games don't require PS+ (for the most part)
+ Friends can play your games by streaming
- Less stable than XBL
- Sony has had an issue with hacks over these past years with their services
- Slightly slower download speeds
- Mediocre at best prices, sales are meh

XBL
+ Good value if invested in Xbox ecosystem (free 360 and Xbox One games every month)
+ Most stable online gaming service available
+ Better dedicated servers + cloud technology
+ Skype and other great MS services for those who use them
+ Avatar support
- Prohibitive indie policies
- More content locked behind paywall
- Store is harder to navigate
- Mediocre at best prices, sales are downright bad

My Preference: I own a Vita, PS4, and PS3, so I get a lot of mileage out of PS+. There are also some really awesome indie titles on the PS Store, which I really like. While I own a 360 and a One, I hardly use the 360 any more, so the free 360 games mean little for me. I also don't use most of MS or Sony's services, so those are a wash for me. I have to give this round to the PS4, but overall people should choose whichever network has the most of their friends as members.

UI

PS4
+ Very smooth
+ Pleasing to look at
+ Relatively easy to navigate, and recently used items are listed first
+ Themes have soundtracks
- No custom themes (have to use the limited selection available on the store)
- Finding older games can be an issue, especially when you have a ton installed
- Not very organized

Xbone
+ Better organized
+ Customizable themes (from other users and store)
+ Easier to find downloaded games and apps
- UI is not very smooth, occasional stuttering
- Ads/promotions on home screen can be distracting

My Preference: The promotions on the Xbox One dashboard are a dealbreaker for me, they are distracting and stupid. The lag on the UI is also kinda distracting and takes away from the experience. While I'm still hoping Sony will implement better ways to categorize games and apps to find them faster, I really like the the simple UI, even if it isn't very customizable. This one goes to the PS4.

Multimedia

PS4
+ Upgradeable internal HDD
+ Bluray support
+ Sony video and music services available for those who use them
+ Netflix, Hulu, Twitch, etc.
- No external HDD support for installed games
- No DLNA support
- Horrible file support (still no video player)

Xbox One
+ DLNA support
+ HDMI Input
+ Bluray support
+ External HDD support
+ MS video and music services available for those who use them
+ Video player that even supports files like MKV
- Internal HDD is not user upgradeable

My Preference: Xbox One, and it isn't even close. The PS4 has almost no multimedia capabilities whatsoever apart from paid services and bluray disc and MP3 playing.

Exclusives

PS4
+ Uncharted
+ Last of Us
+ Bloodborne
+ Gran Turismo
+ God of War
+ No Man's Sky
+ Bloodborne
+ A ton of indie titles

Xbox One
+ Halo
+ Gears of War
+ Forza
+ Fable
+ Quantum Break
+ Crackdown
+ Scalebound

My Preference: I don't have one. I love the exclusives on both sides, hence why I own both consoles. I don't think there is one console that I could say definitively has the best exclusives (well, other than the Wii U, but that's a different story all together).

Around the Network
VanceIX said:
Ruler said:
VanceIX said:

it is noticeble

Yeah, um, OK. Listen, I don't think you understand. I own and play each console almost daily. I'm as unbiased as it gets, and the multiplatform games look near identical. Sure, on paper there is a slight difference, but in real life, almost no one will be able to pick out the difference between upscaled 900p and native 1080p, unless they are right next to the TV and seriously looking for it.

No, in this case, console preference should not come down to multplatform graphics, since both look too similar to make a case for buying one just for those graphics. 

The main differences, like I said before, include controller preference, online preference, UI, multimedia features, and exclusives preference. If you want, I'll even give you a comparison, since it's looking like you haven't played both enough to see the similarities and differences.

Controller

PS4
+ Rechargeable controller
+ Great for racing games and sports titles due to pedals L2 and R2 buttons
+Much more comfortable than PS3 controller
- Battery life is abysmal
- Share button is annoying
- Touch pad is unutilised in most games and is harder to press than the 'select' buttons in older consoles.

Xbone
+Very good battery life
+ Impulse triggers are actually pretty nice
+ Excellent for shooter titles due to trigger LT and RT buttons
+ Much improved D-Pad from 360
- Smaller sticks make for a slightly worse grip
- Recharge option is extra money
- D-Pad and LB/RB buttons are annoyingly clicky
- Xbox button is harder to reach and needs to be held to turn on console

My preference: I think the Xbox One controller is a bit more comfortable in the hand, but the PS4 controller is much better than the PS3 controller. I also prefer the buttons on the PS4 controller, simply because the clickiness of the Xbox One bumpers and D-Pad get on my nerves. The deal breaker for me with this, though, is that the PS4 controller runs out of charge very fast. I can barely get 4-6 hours of play before needing to charge. I'll gladly swap out batteries if it means not needing to charge every few hours, so this round goes to the Xbox One.

PSN
+ Amazing value if you are invested in Sony's ecosystem (free PS Vita/PSP, PS3, and PS4 games every month)
+ Much more stable than last generation
+ Cheaper yearly membership
+ Great selection of indie titles
+ Online-only games don't require PS+ (for the most part)
+ Friends can play your games by streaming
- Less stable than XBL
- Sony has had an issue with hacks over these past years with their services
- Slightly slower download speeds
- Mediocre at best prices, sales are meh

XBL
+ Good value if invested in Xbox ecosystem (free 360 and Xbox One games every month)
+ Most stable online gaming service available
+ Better dedicated servers + cloud technology
+ Skype and other great MS services for those who use them
+ Avatar support
- Prohibitive indie policies
- More content locked behind paywall
- Store is harder to navigate
- Mediocre at best prices, sales are downright bad

My Preference: I own a Vita, PS4, and PS3, so I get a lot of mileage out of PS+. There are also some really awesome indie titles on the PS Store, which I really like. While I own a 360 and a One, I hardly use the 360 any more, so the free 360 games mean little for me. I also don't use most of MS or Sony's services, so those are a wash for me. I have to give this round to the PS4, but overall people should choose whichever network has the most of their friends as members.

UI

PS4
+ Very smooth
+ Pleasing to look at
+ Relatively easy to navigate, and recently used items are listed first
+ Themes have soundtracks
- No custom themes (have to use the limited selection available on the store)
- Finding older games can be an issue, especially when you have a ton installed
- Not very organized

Xbone
+ Better organized
+ Customizable themes (from other users and store)
+ Easier to find downloaded games and apps
- UI is not very smooth, occasional stuttering
- Ads/promotions on home screen can be distracting

My Preference: The promotions on the Xbox One dashboard are a dealbreaker for me, they are distracting and stupid. The lag on the UI is also kinda distracting and takes away from the experience. While I'm still hoping Sony will implement better ways to categorize games and apps to find them faster, I really like the the simple UI, even if it isn't very customizable. This one goes to the PS4.

Multimedia

PS4
+ Upgradeable internal HDD
+ Bluray support
+ Sony video and music services available for those who use them
- No external HDD support for installed games
- No DLNA support
- Horrible file support (still no video player)

Xbox One
+ DLNA support
+ HDMI Input
+ Bluray support
+ External HDD support
+ MS video and music services available for those who use them
+ Video player that even supports files like MKV
- Internal HDD is not user upgradeable

My Preference: Xbox One, and it isn't even close. The PS4 has almost no multimedia capabilities whatsoever apart from paid services and bluray disc and MP3 playing.

Exclusives

PS4
+ Uncharted
+ Last of Us
+ Bloodborne
+ Gran Turismo
+ God of War
+ No Man's Sky
+ Bloodborne
+ A ton of indie titles

Xbox One
+ Halo
+ Gears of War
+ Forza
+ Fable
+ Quantum Break
+ Crackdown
+ Scalebound

My Preference: I don't have one. I love the exclusives on both sides, hence why I own both consoles. I don't think there is one console that I could say definitively has the best exclusives (well, other than the Wii U, but that's a different story all together).

youre opnion is that of a multi console owner so of course you find things  to nippick on the ps4, you arent limited to having a choice to make so i give you my opinion as well. Even if i dont own any of these consoles  yet(tough i played ps4 by my brother).

Yes 900p vs 1080p is noticeble to me, i am a pc gamer and i played with these resolutions on my tv various of times and the difference is noticeble even far away.

The battery thing i dont really understand and never understood, if you hate to recharge what makes xbox so much better if you have to go to various of times and buy your batteries or recharging it on a battery station? Doesnt take this time as well and is also just as or even more annoying? Not too mention that it takes more power (higher eletricity bill) and is bad for the enverioment. The battery life on playstation controllers can hold for days if you just turn off vibrations which is a ueseless feature, imo.

Third i would never buy a console for its multimedia features thats the least important thing to care and most of these features of the xbox dont even work in europe like the hdmi input/output or the services like netflix etc arent even avaible here. Not that i would care in the first place.

Ruler said:

youre opnion is that of a multi console owner so of course you find things  to nippick on the ps4, you arent limited to having a choice to make so i give you my opinion as well. Even if i dont own any of these consoles  yet(tough i played ps4 by my brother).

Yes 900p vs 1080p is noticeble to me, i am a pc gamer and i played with these resolutions on my tv various of times and the difference is noticeble even far away.

And? I'm a PC gamer too (primarily a PC gamer, in fact), and your comparison makes no sense. There is a HUGE difference between 900p on a PC (which doesn't get upscaled, just gets made bigger on a TV/monitor) and 900p on a console (which is properly upscaled, thus removing most of the difference).

The battery thing i dont really understand and never understood, if you hate to recharge what makes xbox so much better if you have to go to various of times and buy your batteries or recharging it on a battery station? Doesnt take this time as well and is also just as or even more annoying? Not too mention that it takes more power (higher eletricity bill) and is bad for the enverioment. The battery life on playstation controllers can hold for days if you just turn off vibrations which is a ueseless feature, imo.

It takes little to no time to get on Amazon and buy a pack of 48 AA batteries (good for a very, very long time) for $15. And then switching out the batteries takes much less time than waiting for them to recharge. Playing my console itself is "bad for the environment", I doubt a few batteries here and there make that much more of a difference. Finally, vibration is a pretty important feature for most people, and helps immerse them in the game. Why disable it?

Third i would never buy a console for its multimedia features thats the least important thing to care and most of these features of the xbox dont even work in europe like the hdmi input/output or the services like netflix etc arent even avaible here. Not that i would care in the first place. 

So you're telling me that you can't play downloaded video files in Europe, or buy external HDDs in Europe, or connect and browse your PC media using your console in Europe, or use the HDMI input to connect something other than television in Europe? There is plenty to do other than just Netflix that the Xbox One supports.

And just because you don't care doesn't mean tons of people don't. Last generation, the PS3 took off simply due to its multimedia features, and consoles are no longer just used for gaming. Millions of people now use them to stream movies, play music, chat with others, etc., and it is thus unfair to take out an entire category.

My points in bold.

VanceIX said:
Ruler said:

And? I'm a PC gamer too (primarily a PC gamer, in fact), and your comparison makes no sense. There is a HUGE difference between 900p on a PC (which doesn't get upscaled, just gets made bigger on a TV/monitor) and 900p on a console (which is properly upscaled, thus removing most of the difference).

It takes little to no time to get on Amazon and buy a pack of 48 AA batteries (good for a very, very long time) for $15. And then switching out the batteries takes much less time than waiting for them to recharge. Playing my console itself is "bad for the environment", I doubt a few batteries here and there make that much more of a difference. Finally, vibration is a pretty important feature for most people, and helps immerse them in the game. Why disable it?

So you're telling me that you can't play downloaded video files in Europe, or buy external HDDs in Europe, or connect and browse your PC media using your console in Europe, or use the HDMI input to connect something other than television in Europe? There is plenty to do other than just Netflix that the Xbox One supports.

And just because you don't care doesn't mean tons of people don't. Last generation, the PS3 took off simply due to its multimedia features, and consoles are no longer just used for gaming. Millions of people now use them to stream movies, play music, chat with others, etc., and it is thus unfair to take out an entire category.

My points in bold.

-wrong upscalling doesnt make a difference if the resolution is allready progressive. 

-yes it is alot bad for the enverment these batteries need a 100 years to decomposate.

http://recycling.about.com/od/Resources/fl/How-Long-Does-It-Take-Garbage-to-Decompose.htm

Why i turn off vibration? because do you see having mouse and keyboard or arcadesticks having vibration? Its uncompetive feature and makes you play worse, i only use it for survival horrors games mostly because these games usually dont have a lifebar.

-i said its my opnion, and yeah if you spend 400 dollars and except it to be a media center i dont think you are a gamer. The ps3 i liked primarily for being able to you play online for free, no region lock, i can download foreign games with a different account and i can replace my harddrive with regular 2.5 standard. I havent played 1 single blue ray in my life on my ps3. But i apreciate it having blue ray because its much much harder to scratch this format unlike dvds, so there is less to worry about for the ps3 by buying used games from average joe.

Ruler said:

-wrong upscalling doesnt make a difference if the resolution is allready progressive. 

Link? Sounds like BS to me. Upscaling makes a major difference, especially when a game is optomized for the console, which isn't possible on PC.

-yes it is alot bad for the enverment these batteries need a 100 years to decomposate.

http://recycling.about.com/od/Resources/fl/How-Long-Does-It-Take-Garbage-to-Decompose.htm

And the components in your console will take tons of time to decompose to. And what about the coal smog or nuclear waste generated by the power company when you charge a controller? A few batteries every year doesn't make much of a difference when you consider all the burnt coal and nuclear waste generated just for keeping your television, console, and household in general running.

Why i turn off vibration? because do you see having mouse and keyboard or arcadesticks having vibration? Its uncompetive feature and makes you play worse, i only use it for survival horrors games mostly because these games usually dont have a lifebar.

Lol, most people couldn't care less about being competitive when playing Halo or Little Big Planet with their buddies. A bit of vibration alerts you to things going on in the game and makes it more immersive. Not sure if you remember, but Sony tried taking out vibration from the industry with the Sixaxis controller, and gamers were furious. When you're just playing to have fun, the extra functionality of the rumble is much appreciated.

-i said its my opnion, and yeah if you spend 400 dollars and except it to be a media center i dont think you are a gamer. The ps3 i liked primarily for being able to you play online for free, no region lock, i can download foreign games with a different account and i can replace my harddrive with regular 2.5 standard. I havent played 1 single blue ray in my life on my ps3. But i apreciate it having blue ray because its much much harder to scratch this format unlike dvds, so there is less to worry about for the ps3 by buying used games from average joe.

When did I say you have to expect it to be a media center? Your statement is very shortsighted, especially considering that a console is not a small investment. In this era, most people use their consoles for more than just gaming. People don't want to go out and buy a $100 dedicated machine for playing their media, when their console can do it just fine. Having some extra functionality is always a good thing that adds value to your console, especially when said funtionality doesn't increase the price of the console. Playing some extra video files or having support for external media is a nice freebie for people who don't want to spend money buying dedicated media devices.

Comments in bold.

VanceIX said:
Ruler said:

Link? Sounds like BS to me. Upscaling makes a major difference, especially when a game is optomized for the console, which isn't possible on PC.

And the components in your console will take tons of time to decompose to. And what about the coal smog or nuclear waste generated by the power company when you charge a controller? A few batteries every year doesn't make much of a difference when you consider all the burnt coal and nuclear waste generated just for keeping your television, console, and household in general running.

Lol, most people couldn't care less about being competitive when playing Halo or Little Big Planet with their buddies. A bit of vibration alerts you to things going on in the game and makes it more immersive. Not sure if you remember, but Sony tried taking out vibration from the industry with the Sixaxis controller, and gamers were furious. When you're just playing to have fun, the extra functionality of the rumble is much appreciated.

When did I say you have to expect it to be a media center? Your statement is very shortsighted, especially considering that a console is not a small investment. In this era, most people use their consoles for more than just gaming. People don't want to go out and buy a $100 dedicated machine for playing their media, when their console can do it just fine. Having some extra functionality is always a good thing that adds value to your console, especially when said funtionality doesn't increase the price of the console. Playing some extra video files or having support for external media is a nice freebie for people who don't want to spend money buying dedicated media devices.

Comments in bold.

- you wanna proof ? pope up mgs4 or any 1080p game with your ps3. You can set your playstation video setting to either 1080p or 720p and therefor your game starts at either 1080p or 720p. If youre right then 1080p upscaled should look much better than 720p upscaled. But it doesnt both look just the same. Mgs4 runs at 1000x700 or somthing natively which is below both 720p or 1080p .

The ps3 is capable running every game in 1080p upscalled but almost every newer game nowdays is only in 720p upscaled including metal gear solid rising. Why is it you think, if its true what youre saying?

- depends in what energy source youre using if its renewble enery and none shale gas which is used then there is no impact. Also nuclear waste is just a little and makes so much more energy, it all depends what is more effecient. And i am pretty sure eletricity from your wall is more effecient and updated than batteries which are oudated technology. Game controllers are no remotes that you press view times, they werent designed to being charged with batteries in the first place, but the power from your wall. Also soon you can recicly nuclear waste anyways.

- @the rest, i allready said its my opinion. In my opinion if ps4 wouldnt even have any media features i would still buy it over the xbox for simple being more powerful and having higher resolutions. A console is for gaming the more game features the better. Sony is winning this battle with things like share play, free online for freetoplay games or being able to play the game while installing. Along having the stronger console.