By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Judge allows lawsuit over Killzone Shadow Fall's 1080p graphics to proceed

archer9234 said:

This is so sad. It's like people don't know technical information on how HD works. There is a thing called interpolation. And not to mention "Anamorphic" aspect ratio, to save on size. Might as well sue all the TV shows that filmed in 2006. When HD became common. They did the same thing. The res was really 1440X1080i. All this will do is get another dumb person to win. And will have even more text on back of the case. Just like miss burned herself with hot coffee.

That will probably read like: "HD output - 960x1080p Anamorphic HD" Are we gonna really need everything on the back. From bitrates, res numbers, i/p etc now? All the terms where originally picked so people don't have to get spammed with all this nonsense. And confuse more people in this mess.

Why should people know about how HD works? Should people know how every part of their car works? Most people on this site knows about these things because they are interested by these things. Now for your TV example, never it was said that these programs were 1080p or full HD, leading people to think that they were Full HD. If your definition of a dumb person is their ability to know the distinction between 1080p, 1080i, full HD, etc. then you are the dumb person... I know doctors that have no clue about all these distinctions you are talking about and they are not dumb at all, they just don't care, but it doesn't mean that it allows others to lie to them about those things or knowingly use that lack of knowledge to sell them subpar products. 

Around the Network
Wighead said:
archer9234 said:

This is so sad. It's like people don't know technical information on how HD works. There is a thing called interpolation. And not to mention "Anamorphic" aspect ratio, to save on size. Might as well sue all the TV shows that filmed in 2006. When HD became common. They did the same thing. The res was really 1440X1080i. All this will do is get another dumb person to win. And will have even more text on back of the case. Just like miss burned herself with hot coffee.

That will probably read like: "HD output - 960x1080p Anamorphic HD" Are we gonna really need everything on the back. From bitrates, res numbers, i/p etc now? All the terms where originally picked so people don't have to get spammed with all this nonsense. And confuse more people in this mess.

Why should people know about how HD works? Should people know how every part of their car works? Most people on this site knows about these things because they are interested by these things. Now for your TV example, never it was said that these programs were 1080p or full HD, leading people to think that they were Full HD. If your definition of a dumb person is their ability to know the distinction between 1080p, 1080i, full HD, etc. then you are the dumb person... I know doctors that have no clue about all these distinctions you are talking about and they are not dumb at all, they just don't care, but it doesn't mean that it allows others to lie to them about those things or knowingly use that lack of knowledge to sell them subpar products. 

I was calling the person suing over this as dumb. The point was all this is a waste of time. It is HD and that all that should matter. The suit shouldn't exist. If you're going to sue over this. Than said person has to do the research. I even say in the second paragraph. The majority doesn't even care about this nonsense. And don't need all these things on the back to confuse them more. I probably should of said he instead of people. It's like falling for Sonys "Mastered in 4k" blurays. Thinking you're getting 4k video. You're not. But people would construde it was false advertisment. But it only says MASTERED. Not IN 4k.

sc94597 said:
uran10 said:
False advertising is still false advertising. Its not constantly 1080p so he has the right to sue. I see no problem (except sony having financial issues)

Except it is 1080p, and that should've been Sony's argument. 

1. 1080p (also known as Full HD or FHD and BT.709) is a set of HDTV high-definition video modes characterized by 1080 horizontal lines of vertical resolution and progressive scan, as opposed to interlaced, as is the case with the 1080i display standard.

That is what sony will say in court but you forget to say that full HD or 1080p also refer to this definition: "Any display device that advertises 1080p typically refers to the ability to accept 1080p signals in native resolution format, which means there are a true 1920 pixels in width and 1080 pixels in height, and the display is not over-scanning, under-scanning, or reinterpreting the signal to a lower resolution." that is why saying 1080p is misleading as most people will refer to the common mostly known native definition of the 1080p mention on a product. If its not native they should say so, not that hard to do by the way...

archer9234 said:
Wighead said:
archer9234 said:

I was calling the person suing over this as dumb. The point was all this is a waste of time. It is HD and that all that should matter. The suit shouldn't exist. If you're going to sue over this. Than said person has to do the research. I even say in the second paragraph. The majority doesn't even care about this nonsense. And don't need all these things on the back to confuse them more. I probably should of said he instead of people. It's like falling for Sonys "Mastered in 4k" blurays. Thinking you're getting 4k video. You're not. But people would construde it was false advertisment. But it only says MASTERED. Not IN 4k.

Well I think that false advertisement begin when you use a commonly known definition of something and bend it to your need to sell something. If the common definition of a mastered 4k video is respected then you are not misleading people, but saying that a video is 4k when in fact it is a mastered 4k is misleading. That is the difference. The common definition of 1080p or full HD is native 1920x1080p, not 920x1080p or subpar resolution. They are using a commonly known definition and bending it to their needs, making their own definition of 1080p, that is purposely misleading people to think that their game is running at a native 1080p resolution. Is that guy trying to make money out of this, maybe, do I think that Sony was also trying to make their product more attractive with that 1080p mention on the box, it sure looks like this too... Sometime we need "dumb" people to progress, would we have GPS if there were no dumb people that get lost going to the grocery store? ;)