By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Eurogamer: Reasons Why you might not want to pre-order The Order 1886

I don't understand why people are so upset about EG. Basically, they are saying that, two month from release, there are still big problems with the game that are likely to still be there at launch. They are just saying to wait for reviews before buying to be sure most problems are fixed...

I think that is what we should expect from gaming journalists. If the game is fixed in two month, it will get good reviews and that is it.

Sure we can complain about the fact they did not do that in the past which is not very fair for The Order... But in the past, they were not broken games released on a regular basis by big publishers...

Let's just hope they do this for every game for which they have doubts starting now...

Around the Network
Fusioncode said:
mymuro said:
It's hilarious to read sony fans' comments in this thread. Gotta restock popcorn today.

Of course this wasn't moderated. Say something like this about Xbox or Nintendo fans and you'll be instantly banned. Why don't you actually contribute something to the thread rather than your constant petty jabs at Sony fans.

OT: There's no reason to ever preorder anything. The bonuses aren't that great and you can just wait a day for the reviews if you don't have enough confidence in the product. 

The user was indeed moderated for this post in conjunction with others.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Guys please keep your posts on topic, dont post flame bait comments and dont allow yourself to get worked up over flame bait comments.

You will be moderated if you break the rules.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Fusioncode said:

OT: There's no reason to ever preorder anything. The bonuses aren't that great and you can just wait a day for the reviews if you don't have enough confidence in the product. 

This, there's no reason to ever pre-order a video game. If you just wait a couple of days after release you won't end up with crap like Destiny, AC:Unity, Driveclub and MCC. Games that either aren't anywhere near as good as the pre-launch previews suggest or have severe launch issues.

Leadified said:
SubiyaCryolite said:

Id like this game to do well because its trying to do things differently and I love its atmosphere but I cant just brush aside all the warning signs.

Indeed I like the idea of the setting and atmosphere but with some of these issues so close to launch and the Order still not really grabbing my attention at PSX, I am really not holding my breath. But hey if it turns out to be great then it's a win-win.

Let's take a look at it in details to see if the points made hold up scrutiny, or at least are generally agreed upon by people who played it:

-QTE's: There are some, but then again, depending what they call "QTEs" (people don't really agree on a definition) ... this can be problematic, but hardly game breaking, especialy that some seems to mistake the interactive sections of cut scenes for QTEs, other reviewers were encouraged after the latest preview.

-Insta fail Stealth Sections: A lot of games force you to use certain type of gameplay in some sections (I'm playing Far Cry 4 right now, many missions are insta fail when you

- Hand Holding Gameplay: that was never metioned in other previews that I have seen...

-Bugs: This is fair to say this game in not finished, sometimes what appears to be "big bugs" can be squashed easily... but not necessarily.

-Mediocre Combat: Seeing other reviews this does not seems to be the case, also, I don't get how the shotgun shown there could be "mediocer", the whole thing look rather impressive and let you feel the weight and power of the weapons used, enemies react well, etc. cover was described as intuitive by others who played it... maybe he was drunk.

Basically, after the PSX event the game previews went from generally negative or at least cautious to mostly positive and others are still negative... my impression is that some people went in with their pre-concieved ideas or worse, given how Eurogamer seems to like to do hatchet jobs on anything related to the PS4, no matter what their rational is... it makes them less than reliable as a source for opinion on games... hell they did not even notice they could not get through the Halo:MCC campaign or AC:Unity in their REVIEWS! both games strongly associated and bundled with the XB1...

As for a general idea about pre-orders, just avoid them, they generally aren't worth it, I ended up with some pre-order bonuses pretty often for games that I bought retail weeks following release, and waiting for impressions/reviews always makes sense.

Around the Network
alabtrosMyster said:

Let's take a look at it in details to see if the points made hold up scrutiny, or at least are generally agreed upon by people who played it:

-QTE's: There are some, but then again, depending what they call "QTEs" (people don't really agree on a definition) ... this can be problematic, but hardly game breaking, especialy that some seems to mistake the interactive sections of cut scenes for QTEs, other reviewers were encouraged after the latest preview.

-Insta fail Stealth Sections: A lot of games force you to use certain type of gameplay in some sections (I'm playing Far Cry 4 right now, many missions are insta fail when you

- Hand Holding Gameplay: that was never metioned in other previews that I have seen...

-Bugs: This is fair to say this game in not finished, sometimes what appears to be "big bugs" can be squashed easily... but not necessarily.

-Mediocre Combat: Seeing other reviews this does not seems to be the case, also, I don't get how the shotgun shown there could be "mediocer", the whole thing look rather impressive and let you feel the weight and power of the weapons used, enemies react well, etc. cover was described as intuitive by others who played it... maybe he was drunk.

Basically, after the PSX event the game previews went from generally negative or at least cautious to mostly positive and others are still negative... my impression is that some people went in with their pre-concieved ideas or worse, given how Eurogamer seems to like to do hatchet jobs on anything related to the PS4, no matter what their rational is... it makes them less than reliable as a source for opinion on games... hell they did not even notice they could not get through the Halo:MCC campaign or AC:Unity in their REVIEWS! both games strongly associated and bundled with the XB1...

As for a general idea about pre-orders, just avoid them, they generally aren't worth it, I ended up with some pre-order bonuses pretty often for games that I bought retail weeks following release, and waiting for impressions/reviews always makes sense.

This is exactly what I think. Their reviews for PS4 exclusives aren't worth crap. Neither are their opinion pieces on any PS4 exclusive.

Also, notice how negatively worded the headline of this article is. I don't see such immense criticism of a game before release, especially as the gameplay shown in the video actually looks good.

Symbios63 said:
I don't understand why people are so upset about EG. Basically, they are saying that, two month from release, there are still big problems with the game that are likely to still be there at launch. They are just saying to wait for reviews before buying to be sure most problems are fixed...

I think that is what we should expect from gaming journalists. If the game is fixed in two month, it will get good reviews and that is it.

Sure we can complain about the fact they did not do that in the past which is not very fair for The Order... But in the past, they were not broken games released on a regular basis by big publishers...

Let's just hope they do this for every game for which they have doubts starting now...

The thing is since 7th gen beggining we have broken games release. On UC and MCC those guys ironed out the problems but on DC and Order they are witch hunting... If they keep at it from now on we will stop bitching.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Halo: MCC was the first game I ever preordered. That was only because it is my favourite game series ever (worth paying £45/$60 for) , and because I knew exactly what to expect (i.e, reviews were going to be worthless anyway).
The way I see it:
- if you preorder you pay full price.
- if you preorder, you dont get the benefit of reviews.
- if you dont preorder, the price of the game will drop in the coming months, so you can save a decent ammount of money for your patience.

DonFerrari said:
Symbios63 said:

The thing is since 7th gen beggining we have broken games release. On UC and MCC those guys ironed out the problems but on DC and Order they are witch hunting... If they keep at it from now on we will stop bitching.

Ok I got your point. I can't really tell because I wasn't following Video game-related news as closely during 7th gen. Nevertheless, I think it's better to complain when game journalists "forget" to mention problems (or minimize) in games (previews or even worse : reviews) leading to gamers buying disappointing games day one full price.

Symbios63 said:
DonFerrari said:
Symbios63 said:

Ok I got your point. I can't really tell because I wasn't following Video game-related news as closely during 7th gen. Nevertheless, I think it's better to complain when game journalists "forget" to mention problems (or minimize) in games (previews or even worse : reviews) leading to gamers buying disappointing games day one full price.

Well if we were to make threads about each review that don't mention bugs (and show extension and seriouness of them) we would need at least 30 threads per game released on average seeing how most previews and reviews rug them all under the carpet by not mentioning or making it less important than it really is.

This guy from the don't preorder the order gave halo 4.5/5 even with MP not working on release, then name its problem on this article to justify not buying the order. Then when questioned why he didn't say the same On MCC and even gave a great score he said that even with bugs and online broken he liked the game and halo fans can enjoy SP while MP is worked out. And followed saying he and the rest of staff agreed the game deserved 4.5/5 with bugs and no MP, which  leads us to believe that working MP could give it 6/5 or 7/5.

For me this shows his bias and appologetically ways. I wouldn't doubt he put articles defending drm, Kinect always on and other mistakes while downplaying the power difference, even if previous gen 15p and/or 2fps diff could mean ps3 version was ubber trash compared with x360 one.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."