By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has Sony's arrogance cost them november npd?

Did sony do enough to win november NPD?

Nah 291 38.96%

Yes 130 17.40%

They can't lower their p... 242 32.40%

xbox one is the future of the USA. 82 10.98%

Total:745
SweetTalia said:
soulfly666 said:
SweetTalia said:

Maybe.. but who knows what will happen in 2015.  If MS keeps undercutting sony in price, not sure sony will be dominating next year.

I will bet you 3 months sig control that Sony will win 9 out of 12 months US NPD at minimum in 2015.

no bets from me. I do not do bets. Future is never certain.

That's what I thought.

Around the Network
SweetTalia said:
riderz13371 said:
I really don't think Sony cares if they lose one months NPD lol. They'll go back to dominating for the rest of the year.

Maybe.. but who knows what will happen in 2015.  If MS keeps undercutting sony in price, not sure sony will be dominating next year.

I know what will be happening. Just look at the first half. Not a single big AAA exclusive for MS in sight (At least not that I am aware of) meanwhile Sony will have Until Dawn, Bloodborne and the Order 1886. It's not just about price you know, these are GAMING consoles. They need games.

What was it when MS tried to sell lower specced hardware for 499? then 399?

MS lowered their price just at the right moment, and they have a great relationship with a lot of publications, hell nobody even noticed that their review copies of Halo:MCC were broken!

Anyway, my guess is it's not that simple to lower the price, you must communicate with your channel partners, give them time to sell their existing  stocks (PS4s are selling well, worldwide they sell more than the XB1)... and it's not as if there was any pressure for the price to be lowered until November this year.

Now, obviously they need to react, if you pick your bundle correctly the XB1 is sold for over 120$ less than the PS4 (330 with 2 oe 3 games - 50 in store gift card amounts to savings worth thinking about).

Add to this the release of a few games (Destiny and Diablo III) that gave some people the impression of parity...

People on a thight budget made their choice according to price, that's it, it makes sense, there is no fanboyism in seeing this (I prefer the PS4, but I am not about telling people what to do with their money)...

I don't think FH2 and the broken Halo:MCC did it, the XB1 has no game library advantage.

I actually see it as the opposite. Thank god Sony isn't arrogant enough to actually go and cut the price of the PS4.

It literally would have been the most retarded thing they could have done. Especially for a company who has not turned a profit in how long?

Seriously if i was an investor in Sony shares, and looking at the bigger picture and the overall success of the PS4...to hear that Sony is cutting the price because MS is cutting the price of XB1 (which is a console in a completely different situation), I would lose all hope in the leadership of Sony.

This doesnt mean that Sony shouldnt try and compete...they absolutely need to compete and being market leader is directly results in more profit in the long term imo. But it also doesnt mean they need to be stupid about it. We've all see what effect console price cuts have on sony's bottom line and its not insignificant.

MS and XB are a completely different company and are in a completely different situation.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Nah, they simply don't give a shit about one place sales but of them combined i think. And combined PS4 has still won for quite much.

Around the Network
SweetTalia said:

Now hear me out.

Sony knew this holiday MS was going to be very aggressive  in the USA. MS gave great bundle to consumers @ at sweet price of 349 and even 329 during black friday.

Yes, Sony did have the black friday bundles..but it seems they went into november thinking the PS4 HYPE will get them the victory regardless of the prices this holiday season.. Sony refuse to drop the price to be competitive.

I'm pretty sure selling PS4 for launch price and hitting over 800k units is competitive.

Sony are being very smart about the situation. They could easily have sold the PS4 for $329 and outsold the XB1 with room to spare. But what does that mean from a business point of view? 

64 million less in profit for the month. And lets say they did it and they sold 1.5M. That's another 700k sold at a loss. So you would be looking at a 100M loss in profits. And if they went the full hog and gave away the games on top of it at $329 plus store promo cards they'd lose even more. 

And according to NPD leaks, a lot of the PS4's sold were the standalone PS4 with no game bundled. Many more would have been the Destiny bundle price at $450. That is pure profit right there. All those people will buy another 1-3 games on average at retail price. Sony are playing it smart. 

Now if Apple or Samsung owned Playstation they would probably go full out like MS and destroy them in sales because they wouldn't mind the loses. Sony are winning WW easily so they won't devalue their product over 1 territory. And it's really just 1 because in the UK it's effectively a draw. 

M$ wins in npd nov XB1 unit sales but Sony still win in PS4 profits sales... 

itsFizz said:

Maybe I´m alone on this one but I think even a pricedrop wouldn´t have changed this months´ NPD result by much. Imo Microsoft needed to win this NPD really badly so even if Sony dropped the PS4´s price to 349$ MS would´ve undercut them by another 50$.

Cleary, they would not have had any assurance they just don't feed a price war they can't win. It could even what MS hoped, at least what they were ready for. Anyway, Sony still has a worldwide advantage, an advance even in america, and can enjoy profit, I don't see any good reason for them to rush. It's not even a bad thing MS spend their money on price drops rather than on exclusive games and new studios.

Acevil said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Being beat by 7-10k isn't ain't worth braging about. MS shouldn't want to brag.

I think that has been debunked?

Isn't sales like 1.2m to 800k.

still not impressed with a 400k lead. ok it's closer to a dominate performance, but Sony came swing back on BF so where is the 1's staying power? we'll see next yr, and throughout dec i supose.

sup Ace lol.

They did the right thing, it just didn't play out the way they hoped. Remember when MS refused to reduce price in 2010 in the US and just focused on great bundles. They had an amazing holiday and I think Sony wants to do the same. They don't want to reduce their profit margin and MS are the ones playing catch up, so it was the right thing to make that play.