By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are you ready for a change in cell phones?

I'll stick with my flip phone.

Around the Network

I'm still on a Note 2 and have no desire to change. The need to change phone every 12 months has long long gone. New phones these days offer nothing new apart from stuff that is pretty pointless. I mean, going from 1080p to 1440p on a 5 inch screen? Absolutely and totally pointless. Nothing but a battery drain and a performance killer for what? Something that you cannot possibly see.

They need to focus on the more important parts now like battery life. There is literally nothing the latest Note 4 can do that mine cant. The 3D performance to be fair is actually almost the same. The Note 4 has a way more powerful GPU but thats offset by the fact its having to run a 1440p screen where as my Note 2 is a 720p screen. The result is that games actually run the same with no real difference in quality. Websites and everything else look more or less identical across the two phones.

The phone posted a few pages back with the E-ink back, now thats innovation and taking phones somewhere they need to go.

PREDICTIONS FOR END OF 2015: (Made Jan 1st 2015)

PS4 - 34M - XB1 - 21m - WII U -12M

kristianity77 said:
I'm still on a Note 2 and have no desire to change. The need to change phone every 12 months has long long gone. New phones these days offer nothing new apart from stuff that is pretty pointless. I mean, going from 1080p to 1440p on a 5 inch screen? Absolutely and totally pointless. Nothing but a battery drain and a performance killer for what? Something that you cannot possibly see.

They need to focus on the more important parts now like battery life. There is literally nothing the latest Note 4 can do that mine cant. The 3D performance to be fair is actually almost the same. The Note 4 has a way more powerful GPU but thats offset by the fact its having to run a 1440p screen where as my Note 2 is a 720p screen. The result is that games actually run the same with no real difference in quality. Websites and everything else look more or less identical across the two phones.

The phone posted a few pages back with the E-ink back, now thats innovation and taking phones somewhere they need to go.

I went from a super amoled 480x800 (217ppi pixel density) screen in my galaxy sii to a 1080p super amoled screen (431 ppi pixel density) in my S5. There's pretty much no noticable difference.

Shadow1980 said:

I'd love to see smartphones go away and this come back:

Of course, I have a personal vendetta against smartphones because I'm sick of how they make people act. I'm tired of someone stopping what they're doing in mid-conversation to check their Facebook or Twitter or text someone else. Smartphones are turning people into rude, increasingly asocial (with those they're in physical proximity with), narcissistic zombies glued to a portable screen, oblivious to the world around them. I understand how important the ability to communicate away from home is, and cell phones are great in case of emergencies and offer more freedom than pay phones did. But turning them into portable PCs with internet functionality was IMO a bad idea. Most of that extraneous non-phone shit can wait until you get home.

I need to check sports scores on the move! But yeah, I've now started punching people or just stopping talking until they put their phones down. Maybe it's why nobody wants to talk to me...

Munkeh111 said:
Conina said:
Munkeh111 said:
Buy a Sony Z2

I can get through 3 days occasionally, but 2 days of moderate use

Even better: a Z3 compact

http://cdn.gsmarena.com/vv/reviewsimg/sony-xperia-z3-compact/battest.jpg

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z3_compact-review-1135p3.php

True. I only said the Z2 because it's the phone I have. If I was buying one now, it would be the Z3 probably. I don't think I can lose an inch of screen!

i'd echo that on the xperia z2... it's the first smartphone that really made me think 'ok... this is it'

the battery is really really good. the phone is really fast at browsing the web, the feel is amazing, waterproof, love the screen... and recently got the attachment for the dualshock 4, I have to say, I love my vita, but damn... 

popped in some emulators for DS, ps1, snes, sega genesis, etc. can go through 3 to 4 hour sessions playing and still my battery is around 50%.

I can't wait to see what the Z6 or whatever they will call it will be when I buy a new phone

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:

Of course, I have a personal vendetta against smartphones because I'm sick of how they make people act. I'm tired of someone stopping what they're doing in mid-conversation to check their Facebook or Twitter or text someone else. Smartphones are turning people into rude, increasingly asocial (with those they're in physical proximity with), narcissistic zombies glued to a portable screen, oblivious to the world around them. I understand how important the ability to communicate away from home is, and cell phones are great in case of emergencies and offer more freedom than pay phones did. But turning them into portable PCs with internet functionality was IMO a bad idea. Most of that extraneous non-phone shit can wait until you get home.

He heh, I'm beginning to really like your posts. :)

I especially liked this post of yours in the "colorful games on consoles aren't selling anymore" thread:

Shadow1980 said:

You see it in architecture, too. Many stores are bland in color, and those that used to have more ornate logos have gone for things more minimalist in nature. Examples include:

Old Walmart

New Walmart

The old one was more typical of stores opened in the 80s & 90s. My first job was at a Walmart opened in the late 80s and it looked just like the one in the top picture. The bottom picture is of the new Supercenter that opened last month at the other end of town. It's just a big, brown, flat, geometric monolith near Exit 5. Also, Walmart's logo went from a cheery smiley face to a hollowed-out asterisk.

Our local mall (yes, we have a mall that's both open and thriving, apparently a rarity these days) was opened in 1978. It had an ornate butterfly motif as its logo, seen here on the left side of the facade:

The mall was renovated and expanded in 2006-07, and now it has... this thing.

It's a flower, I guess. The mall itself lost a lot of its old character during the remodel as well. The new tiling, lighting, etc., looks so nondescript.

It seems like the 80s & early 90s had a stronger emphasis on stylized designs and bold, contrasting primary colors, and malls and arcades often had colorful neon lighting. Today, everything seems more dull, muted, and minimalist, a world of glass, steel, flat earth tones, and simple geometries. It's like we're becoming just one big transnational Apple Store.

I think phones are a thing of the past and we should start calling them communication devices. Also the next step these would take would be to be able to wear it and still get a screen somewhere...

Shadow1980 said:

As much as I do like my Nexus 4. I have to agree with you so much that I really dislike how smartphones have made people act. I never understood why unless it's something urgent why people have to interrupt to text or social network and not just wait a little bit longer for a better time.

LemonSlice said:
Shadow1980 said:

He heh, I'm beginning to really like your posts. :)

I especially liked this post of yours in the "colorful games on consoles aren't selling anymore" thread:

Shadow1980 said:

You see it in architecture, too. Many stores are bland in color, and those that used to have more ornate logos have gone for things more minimalist in nature. Examples include:

Old Walmart

New Walmart

The old one was more typical of stores opened in the 80s & 90s. My first job was at a Walmart opened in the late 80s and it looked just like the one in the top picture. The bottom picture is of the new Supercenter that opened last month at the other end of town. It's just a big, brown, flat, geometric monolith near Exit 5. Also, Walmart's logo went from a cheery smiley face to a hollowed-out asterisk.

Our local mall (yes, we have a mall that's both open and thriving, apparently a rarity these days) was opened in 1978. It had an ornate butterfly motif as its logo, seen here on the left side of the facade:

The mall was renovated and expanded in 2006-07, and now it has... this thing.

It's a flower, I guess. The mall itself lost a lot of its old character during the remodel as well. The new tiling, lighting, etc., looks so nondescript.

It seems like the 80s & early 90s had a stronger emphasis on stylized designs and bold, contrasting primary colors, and malls and arcades often had colorful neon lighting. Today, everything seems more dull, muted, and minimalist, a world of glass, steel, flat earth tones, and simple geometries. It's like we're becoming just one big transnational Apple Store.

Seriously.  It's like this guy is me. I like the way he thinks, and echoes many of the thoughts I often have about how the world is changing.

Lighter phones with better batteries is all that's needed.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54