By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So, Wii Sports and Mario Kart wii keep selling.

Tagged games:

NintendoPie said:

It still baffles me that Nintendo could go from such a humungous player in the gaming industry last generation to such a minuscule one now. Sure, there are a lot of factors for their fall, but damn... they really hit the ball out of the park back then.

Are you serius..?

Nintendo is still the biggest player in the industry.. 

Not only do they own most of the biggest brands and make an insane number high rated games every year.. They also totally dominate handheld consoles

WiiU sales are lower than Nintendo expected.. sure.. But there are still life in it.. (just break its own record in december) and 2015 could where well be the year, where Nintendo gets the more casual gamers on board (big part of the +240 mill console owners from last gen, who had not yet entered this gen)

Buttom line: you can say WiiU failed (and that is not set in stone yet) but not "go from such a humungous player in the gaming industry last generation to such a minuscule one now" becourse that make no sense.

Around the Network

Don't be smart guy when did minecraft came and when did mario kart wii did ;) 

Mario kart 8 is way better than mario kart wii that you didnt like it its something else ;)

marsoRa said:

Mario kart 8 is way better than mario kart wii that you didnt like it its something else ;)

MK8 is better balanced. No doubts about it. 

But having the ability to have two items in MK Wii gave a bit more "strategic" depth and lead to a more aggresive style. Whereas Mario Kart 8 gameplay is more defensive...

Love them both. Hopefully MK8 won't get broken by cheaters like MK Wii was... .

And hopefully we get some tracks als DLC too. I really miss Rainbow Road, Maple Treeway, Moonview highway, DK Summit...

Bofferbrauer said:
The_Sony_Girl1 said:
Are there any games older than them that are still selling?

Just go to GOG.com. while digital, some of the games are from the 80' and most are from the 90'

As for the reason why they keep selling, it's probably in large parts from Wii U owners who didn't have a Wii before for various reason, as they outsell the Wii by far these days. Probably one of the reasons why Nintendo is bringing Wii games digitally to the Wii U now, too

But MK8 is out and so is Wii-Sports Club... both of which are simply 'improved versions'.

Around the Network
LemonSlice said:
JWeinCom said:
AZWification said:

Both of them probably keep selling thanks to bundles!

Wii in 2014 sold just about 500k. 

Mario Kart sold 766K.

Wii Sports sold 567K.

So, even if every Wii sold came bundled with one of those two games, they still sold about 800K between the two of them.  About 400K a piece for two games that are nearly a decade is old is pretty impressive.

Come on, everyone know each Wii bundle comes with two copies of Mario Kart.

Mario Kart Wii actually sold 0 copies.  Massively overtracked.

You can still find some PS2 games in stores.... And somehow the Persona/Shin Megami Tensei are still cheap brand new from many online sellers... And they're ATLUS titles. Weird.

MK Wii will keep selling for a couple of months/years... As long as it's in stores!

You can't really find a Wii without Wii Sports or Mario Kart bundled anymore, so if the Wii is moving even just a tiny number of units per month, they are all bundled with MK or Wii Sports, that's all there is to it.

In developing countries/lower end markets too there is still room for dirt cheap systems too.

Teeqoz said:
The_Sony_Girl1 said:

GTA San Andreas for the PS2 is selling enough in Italy for it to be tracked by GFK.

I loved running people over in that game.

Bet with Xander XT: 

I can beat more games on his 3DS than he can on my PSVita in a month. Loser has to buy the winner a game on his/her handheld Guess who won? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=193531

Me!

Bofferbrauer said:
The_Sony_Girl1 said:

Just go to GOG.com. while digital, some of the games are from the 80' and most are from the 90'

As for the reason why they keep selling, it's probably in large parts from Wii U owners who didn't have a Wii before for various reason, as they outsell the Wii by far these days. Probably one of the reasons why Nintendo is bringing Wii games digitally to the Wii U now, too

Huh. Thanks for the answer!

Bet with Xander XT: 

I can beat more games on his 3DS than he can on my PSVita in a month. Loser has to buy the winner a game on his/her handheld Guess who won? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=193531

Me!