By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Edit: Anita Sarkeesian is not helping with the development of Mirrors Edge; Rejoice!

CladInShadows said:

She may or may not be in support of what happened.  We will never know.  But she wants to change the world, not force people to conform to her view of the world. Hoping her views influence developers is not quite the same.  I can kind of see your point about her comments and ratings of her youtube videos being disabled, but then, aren't a lot of youtubers doing this?  Because youtube comment sections are not exactly a hotbed of intelectual discussion at the best of times.  And with the supposed threats and whatnot, I can kind of see that side of things.

Anyways, I'm not here to really defend her. I don't necessarily agree with everything she says. I just have a real problem with gamers these days starting petitions on every little thing.  Getting stuff shut down, or getting endings changed, or cover art changed, or other stupid little crusades.  And the problem is that developers and publishers are so starved for our money that they're giving in.  I miss the days of when a game was finished when it was released, and there was no transparency during the development process.  Buy the games you want to play.  Don't buy the ones you don't want to play. The End.

"She may or may not be in support of what happened"

well yes i can't know for certain but looking at her arguments...

"But she wants to change the world, not force people to conform to her view of the world. "

it cannot be both... either she wants to change the world and thereby force others to conform to her vision ( i believe this is the case as it is the purpose of feminism )

or she does not

"Because youtube comment sections are not exactly a hotbed of intelectual discussion at the best of times. "

yes i agree that not all feedback is constructive but that happens in any case where you accept feedback

setting things up so that you receive no feedback is stupid for various reasons

it implies that you believe there are no flaws in your argument and thus you are perfect... criticism shows us our flaws so that we can acknowledge them and grow as a result... therefore in my opinion she shows that she has no intention of adapting her viewpoint

there is no perfect being in our plain of existance and i'm not going to support the arguments of an imposter

" I just have a real problem with gamers these days starting petitions on every little thing."

i agree... its largely pointless anyway unless you are the member of a certain type of political movement

"Buy the games you want to play.  Don't buy the ones you don't want to play. The End."

exactly... gta online is my favourite game not because of prostitues or oppressed women or whatever nonsense... i like gta online because i can create a character, buy loads of cars that i can customise how i want and play missions with other people who i assume are there for mostly the same thing

i find it insulting to have people imply that the purpose of gta is to oppress women or that i get sexual satisfaction from playing gta

Around the Network
o_O.Q said:

"She may or may not be in support of what happened"

well yes i can't know for certain but looking at her arguments...

"But she wants to change the world, not force people to conform to her view of the world. "

it cannot be both... either she wants to change the world and thereby force others to conform to her vision ( i believe this is the case as it is the purpose of feminism )

or she does not

"Because youtube comment sections are not exactly a hotbed of intelectual discussion at the best of times. "

yes i agree that not all feedback is constructive but that happens in any case where you accept feedback

setting things up so that you receive no feedback is stupid for various reasons

it implies that you believe there are no flaws in your argument and thus you are perfect... criticism shows us our flaws so that we can acknowledge them and grow as a result... therefore in my opinion she shows that she has no intention of adapting her viewpoint

there is no perfect being in our plain of existance and i'm not going to support the arguments of an imposter

" I just have a real problem with gamers these days starting petitions on every little thing."

i agree... its largely pointless anyway unless you are the member of a certain type of political movement

"Buy the games you want to play.  Don't buy the ones you don't want to play. The End."

exactly... gta online is my favourite game not because of prostitues or oppressed women or whatever nonsense... i like gta online because i can create a character, buy loads of cars that i can customise how i want and play missions with other people who i assume are there for mostly the same thing

i find it insulting to have people imply that the purpose of gta is to oppress women or that i get sexual satisfaction from playing gta

1. There's a difference between forcing someone to do something or enlightening them and hoping they see things your way.  She's taking the latter approach.

2.  I don't really have much else to say on her youtube comments.  I don't really agree with her removing that option.  But I also don't know what's involved in being the gaming community's current pariah, either. People are still free to criticize her. But there is no direct feedback anymore. And the quality of that feedback and criticism was suspect, given anything meaningful was drowning in a sea of hate train jumping gamers. So many factors in that one.

Anita's crusade can only serve to make games less interesting and less diverse. There should be no limits on creativity. If the creators of a game want to include a brutally violent slow motion first person rape scene then they should be praised for their audacity and judged upon the artistic impact of their efforts.

Shouldn't the anger instead be directed towards whoever hired this supposedly evil creature? It's not like she just waltzed in, demanded a job and got it; someone made the desicion to let her be a part of the team. So if you honestly care about the game and aren't just looking for a reason to whine about Anita then perhaps a petition to get rid of the producer (or whoever is in charge here) would be a much better idea.

CladInShadows said:

1. There's a difference between forcing someone to do something or enlightening them and hoping they see things your way.  She's taking the latter approach.

2.  I don't really have much else to say on her youtube comments.  I don't really agree with her removing that option.  But I also don't know what's involved in being the gaming community's current pariah, either. People are still free to criticize her. But there is no direct feedback anymore. And the quality of that feedback and criticism was suspect, given anything meaningful was drowning in a sea of hate train jumping gamers. So many factors in that one.

well i'm not going to get into a debate on this but feminism has been influencing many laws... the problem with "enlightenment" is that once people still have a choice they may revert back to earlier patterns and i say "enlightenment" with quotes because i don't think that feminism in this era is very enlightening at all but that's my opinion

well i can't say for certain but from what i know a lot of the hate for her came about because of her censorship... not that it is justified ( 2 wrongs do not make a right ) but i think that's the reason for a substantial amount of it

people tend to get aggressive when you criticise them unfairly and give them no way to respond to that criticism

Around the Network
o_O.Q said:
CladInShadows said:

well i'm not going to get into a debate on this but feminism has been influencing many laws... the problem with "enlightenment" is that once people still have a choice they may revert back to earlier patterns and i say "enlightenment" with quotes because i don't think that feminism in this era is very enlightening at all but that's my opinion

well i can't say for certain but from what i know a lot of the hate for her came about because of her censorship... not that it is justified ( 2 wrongs do not make a right ) but i think that's the reason for a substantial amount of it

people tend to get aggressive when you criticise them unfairly and give them no way to respond to that criticism

I just used enlightened based on its definition of the term. Not implying anything intellectual behind it.

I'm curious which laws have been influenced.  I'm wondering if any of them make perfect sense, or if there are some that make absolutely no sense and have people scratching their heads. Because I can tell you that my freedoms have not been compromised due to any feminist law I can think of (I'm in Canada, if that makes a difference).

I'm a little hazy on the Sarkeesian timeline, to be honest. So if most of the hate came from her disabling comments, then colour me corrected.

Oh god nooooo! She's going to destroy gaming with her feminist voodoo. Whatever will we do?!!!!

Sad thing is that it doesn't matter if she does a terrible job those corrupt biased game journalist will praise her and give good reviews.

I don't think EA will fire her, just vote with your wallets people hell EA probably hire her to get good reviews and keep those SJW out of their back

CladInShadows said:

I'm a little hazy on the Sarkeesian timeline, to be honest. So if most of the hate came from her disabling comments, then colour me corrected.

No, most of the hate for Sarkeesian comes from her somewhat extremist feminist views and her ideas about having games cater to what she views as appropriate.  
I have faith that most developers know better than to take everything Sarkeesian says to heart. She's not exactly the voice for all feminism anyway. A lot of what she says is shortsighted, but at the same time there is some semblance of a valid argument hidden inside.

CladInShadows said:

I'm curious which laws have been influenced.  I'm wondering if any of them make perfect sense, or if there are some that make absolutely no sense and have people scratching their heads. Because I can tell you that my freedoms have not been compromised due to any feminist law I can think of (I'm in Canada, if that makes a difference).

Mate, are you serious? I wouldn't know even where to begin, so I won't even bother. Just google and educate yourself, if you're really sincerely interested.