By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Edit: Anita Sarkeesian is not helping with the development of Mirrors Edge; Rejoice!

Why not hire a homeless guy to help make the game? He'd be just as qualified, and unlike her, actually needs a paycheck.

Around the Network
o_O.Q said:

i like how trying to stop feminists from censoring video games is now being called censorship lol

feminists recently got gta banned from being sold in Australia at target and kmart citing violence against women as a reason; completely ignoring of course that you primarily kill men in the game because men do not matter and are not equal after all

i was watching some mortal kombat yesterday and i basically watched scorpian rip casey cage in half with a fatality

and as i was watching that it occurred to me that if they shut down gta for those reasons what about games like mortal kombat?

this is what a lot of you do not understand nd this obviously does not only apply to games... it is a cancer slowly eating away at the freedom of expression, freedom of speech etc etc etc

I must have missed the part where Anita created a petition and got GTA banned in Australian Target. Silly me.

For the record, I have just as much against THAT petition as I do THIS petition.  Both are seeking to stifle how a company runs their business. Both are a form of censorship.  I'm not for or against feminism.  I am absolutely against censorship.  Anita has not once censored anything.  She presents her views and opinions and that's pretty much it.  And she's gathered a following of fans, as well as gained a shitload of haters.  Her being part of (however big or small) the creative process on a video game is not censorship. 

What YOU do not understand is that once we let these stupid petitions gain ground, that's when freedom of expression and speech and creativity is compromised.

*edit* And I was around during the moral uproar of the first Mortal Kombat.  Petitions and protests and boycotts aplenty back then too. Didn't like it then.  Don't like it now.

Ugh...

CladInShadows said:
o_O.Q said:

i like how trying to stop feminists from censoring video games is now being called censorship lol

feminists recently got gta banned from being sold in Australia at target and kmart citing violence against women as a reason; completely ignoring of course that you primarily kill men in the game because men do not matter and are not equal after all

i was watching some mortal kombat yesterday and i basically watched scorpian rip casey cage in half with a fatality

and as i was watching that it occurred to me that if they shut down gta for those reasons what about games like mortal kombat?

this is what a lot of you do not understand nd this obviously does not only apply to games... it is a cancer slowly eating away at the freedom of expression, freedom of speech etc etc etc

I must have missed the part where Anita created a petition and got GTA banned in Australian Target. Silly me.

For the record, I have just as much against THAT petition as I do THIS petition.  Both are seeking to stifle how a company runs their business. Both are a form of censorship.  I'm not for or against feminism.  I am absolutely against censorship.  Anita has not once censored anything.  She presents her views and opinions and that's pretty much it.  And she's gathered a following of fans, as well as gained a shitload of haters.  Her being part of (however big or small) the creative process on a video game is not censorship. 

What YOU do not understand is that once we let these stupid petitions gain ground, that's when freedom of expression and speech and creativity is compromised.

"I must have missed the part where Anita created a petition and got GTA banned in Australian Target. "

lol she didn't but i don't think you could be so naive to believe that she is not in support of what happened there

her whole deal has been to point out supposed misogyny in video games with the intent to influence game creators to change the content that they produce

the kind of content that gta was banned for in case you did not know

http://femfreq.tumblr.com/post/61508291558/gta-v-has-little-room-for-women-except-to-portray

lol and i'm not sure how many times i have to reiterate this but i did not sign the petition and i do not think that it is the right way to deal with this

i agree with you that censorship is cowardly for several reasons but especially because it is routinely used to shut down valid criticism like anita has done by disabling comments and ratings on all of her videos

something else that i find weird about this whole situation is that there are men that do not seem offended by anita implying that we are all sex crazed bafoons... instead they agree with her and feel guilt for having sexual thoughts about women lol... it really is fascinating imo

Wait
hold up
How can you simplify Mirror's Edge controls..?

Around the Network
o_O.Q said:
CladInShadows said:
o_O.Q said:

"I must have missed the part where Anita created a petition and got GTA banned in Australian Target. "

lol she didn't but i don't think you could be so naive to believe that she is not in support of what happened there

her whole deal has been to point out supposed misogyny in video games with the intent to influence game creators to change the content that they produce

the kind of content that gta was banned for in case you did not know

http://femfreq.tumblr.com/post/61508291558/gta-v-has-little-room-for-women-except-to-portray

lol and i'm not sure how many times i have to reiterate this but i did not sign the petition and i do not think that it is the right way to deal with this

i agree with you that censorship is cowardly for several reasons but especially because it is routinely used to shut down valid criticism like anita has done by disabling comments and ratings on all of her videos

She may or may not be in support of what happened.  We will never know.  But she wants to change the world, not force people to conform to her view of the world. Hoping her views influence developers is not quite the same.  I can kind of see your point about her comments and ratings of her youtube videos being disabled, but then, aren't a lot of youtubers doing this?  Because youtube comment sections are not exactly a hotbed of intelectual discussion at the best of times.  And with the supposed threats and whatnot, I can kind of see that side of things.

Anyways, I'm not here to really defend her. I don't necessarily agree with everything she says. I just have a real problem with gamers these days starting petitions on every little thing.  Getting stuff shut down, or getting endings changed, or cover art changed, or other stupid little crusades.  And the problem is that developers and publishers are so starved for our money that they're giving in.  I miss the days of when a game was finished when it was released, and there was no transparency during the development process.  Buy the games you want to play.  Don't buy the ones you don't want to play. The End.

Yes, this thread should be a "boycott mirror's edge" thread rather than a silly petition.

o_O.Q said:

something else that i find weird about this whole situation is that there are men that do not seem offended by anita implying that we are all sex crazed bafoons... instead they agree with her and feel guilt for having sexual thoughts about women lol... it really is fascinating imo

I'm definitely not offended by her.  She presenting her views to the world.  Nothing more. The fact that she's being harassed by a giant section of the male gaming population does in some way validate some of the stuff she says.

And just taking a look at some of the stuff said online in places like this forum and others does lend weight to her arguments.  I know we're not all like she makes us out to be.  But boy there are a lot out there who are.

TheGoldenBoy said:
Why is she on the development team? I'm honestly curious.

Free marketing

God this woman is the worst, lol. Problem is, we all give her a platform, we give her relevance, we make her rich. Please, just let this brainless, no-talent hack fade into obscurity.