By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Nuclear Option : A Microsoft Move for X1 that would be truly staggering (and will never happen)

Arkaign said:

A truly wild way Microsoft could get around the SFV exclusivity, which is likely to be a lifetime PS4 Console exclusive if it's true that Sony is a co-developer/funding source for the game, would be for Microsoft to allow Windows 10 to be installed on X1 for dual-boot.

You know, the deal isn't stopping a X1 version for technical issues. They have a clause like "and this will never release on X1", you can't avoid it. It's on contract, it's legal. It can't appear on X1 in any form.

You can't avoid it changing the OS, because that's a technical solution. It's a legal problem, just that. Even if MS did that, the game couldn't be made available on the console or Capcom would be sued.

And X1 already runs Windows, it's just a simplified version of it. The way you posted is not like the console works, it already runs Windows.

Around the Network
Arkaign said:
Marford said:
Not only is this impossible. This is a stupid idea.. Windows 8 core is on the Xbox One, not Windows 8. Windows 10 core will likely be what the Xbox kernel is updated to

You obviously didn't read.

First, there is absolutely no technical reason the X1 couldn't run a full version of Windows as an OS upgrade, to provide an alternate bootup option. Drivers would have to be written, and a few considerations taken with font scaling defaults/etc so that it looks good on a TV, but it is easily possible given the specs and architectures we're looking at. This is NOT enabling full windows on the current X1 OS, this is more akin to a dual-boot idea.

Second, this is a hypothetical 'what would it mean' to be able to run all regular windows programs and games on the X1.

No need to insult me... Then what is the point of it being a game console? Just buy a 400 dollar PC if you want something to use office and play a few indie games. 

It is not easily possible at all is what you don't understand. The cost for Microsoft, not any of the vendors who helped to make the consoles would be much greater. Plus the fact that MS would actually have to start charging more for the console to cover these additional cost. It's still my opinion that it's a stupid idea, even in hypothetical. The cost of writing all the specialized code and rebuilding Windows to actually run on the console is huge (The Windows 8 core on the Xbox One now only exist on the kernal level). Just because the processor is x86 doesn't make it automatically capable of running Windows. I can have a x86 processor run Mac OS or one of many builds of Linux, doesn't mean I can run them on consoles (well Linux you can run on consoles, cause that's a swiss army knife of a OS type)

Ka-pi96 said:
Arkaign said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Not really worth it. Street Fighter isn't anywhere near that important...

Street Fighter isn't the only PC game ;)

Yeah, but to do it as a reaction to Street Fighter would be really quite silly.

I agree :D

Anyone expecting this is setting themselves up for disappointment.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Fusioncode said:

I don't think anyone is expecting it, I thought that was clear in the OP. Hell it's even in the title "and will never happen" :D

Around the Network
Arkaign said:
Fusioncode said:

I don't think anyone is expecting it, I thought that was clear in the OP. Hell it's even in the title "and will never happen" :D

Judging by the responses some are actually expecting this. I mean maybe in 10-15 years when we're on the Xbox 5 or whatever it's called this could be a possibility. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Mr Khan said:
techhunter80 said:

Or they could just wait for the next verison of Street Fighter V to come to their system.  

That's true. Street Fighter V can stay exclusive, but Street Fighter V Ultra...

Supers and Arcades and Ultras are not entirely new games, reusing a lot of the same code and assets. With Sony's funding and co-development (if true), they could have it clinched for the entire SF V series unless Capcom makes some kind of deal.

What Microsoft should do is partner with the NFL and EA to obtain Madden as an exclusive. That will guarantee them a win in USA. USA is where Microsoft should focus on and try their best to make Sony or Nintendo consoles irrelevant in USA.

Arkaign said:

So first off, this is so extremely off the charts in terms of being unlikely (for monetary reasons) that it's borderline impossible.

BUT, it IS possible, and would be absolutely stunning to see. So without further ado :

A truly wild way Microsoft could get around the SFV exclusivity, which is likely to be a lifetime PS4 Console exclusive if it's true that Sony is a co-developer/funding source for the game, would be for Microsoft to allow Windows 10 to be installed on X1 for dual-boot.

With full Windows 10 running on the X1, you could run any PC game, including ... dun dun dun : Street Fighter V.

Now it's true that the console CPUs are garbage. 8-core Garbage, but garbage none the less. HOWEVER, they are good enough when the right APIs are in place to produce console-like results. DirectX 12 will turn weak CPUs into passable CPUs on PC.

People here who know me fairly well know that (A)- I'm fair, and (B)- I'm not exactly a big fan of the X1, mostly due to how Microsoft approached it and what their vision of 8th gen gaming was. A locked-down, gaming-is-secondary kind of philosophy that included more advertising than ever funneled in, and where you couldn't even play single-player games without a reliable internet connection. No sense dwelling on that now, but their reversals don't make me trust them, and the BOM budget blown on Kinect resulted in a much slower console than they could have achieved otherwise.

Anyway, the full Windows ability will never happen, because they are instead going to try to push 'App' mobility between their platforms, and leave traditional Windows desktop applications behind. Essentially they are chasing the world of Apple and Google getting cha-ching cuts of every app sold on those devices, whereas anyone can write a Windows desktop program and not give Microsoft a dime. Spoiler : it won't work. Microsoft makes their bank from Windows desktop, Windows Server, and Microsoft Office. Everything else is comparitively a failure economically to those massive profit centers.

So think of this as more of a wild thought experiment, and what a funny world it would be. IF they went that route (or some genius level modders achieved it), it would be extraordinary. The library of games available would be absolutely ridiculous as that point, to say nothing of being able to run true desktop apps.

1. If it's happen the console will turn into mini HTPC that less 3 times powerfull then their consoles mode, and that you only can play PC games from older generations.

2.The Windows'8 problem is that will make the system not save from virus, worms, and other attack   from internet, even if you put antivirus it will be bothersome and make the system running even worse.

3. To many patents that should be made if they want to make this happen and risk on throwing money for no return.

Agree with your points HG.