By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Nuclear Option : A Microsoft Move for X1 that would be truly staggering (and will never happen)

Marford said:
Not only is this impossible. This is a stupid idea.. Windows 8 core is on the Xbox One, not Windows 8. Windows 10 core will likely be what the Xbox kernel is updated to

You obviously didn't read.

First, there is absolutely no technical reason the X1 couldn't run a full version of Windows as an OS upgrade, to provide an alternate bootup option. Drivers would have to be written, and a few considerations taken with font scaling defaults/etc so that it looks good on a TV, but it is easily possible given the specs and architectures we're looking at. This is NOT enabling full windows on the current X1 OS, this is more akin to a dual-boot idea.

Second, this is a hypothetical 'what would it mean' to be able to run all regular windows programs and games on the X1.

Around the Network

I feel like that will be a great way to start piracy in the x1 cause allowing windows means that you are allowing a whole lot of other things too so I dont think they will do it for those reasons

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

With the amount of jailbreaking, emulating, and hack-porting that goes on now, why not? There's clearly plenty of interest in expanding libraries on consoles to those of other systems. You clearly and accurately explained why it will most likely never happen, but it's not stupid to think about (not even remotely).

techhunter80 said:

Or they could just wait for the next verison of Street Fighter V to come to their system.  

That's true. Street Fighter V can stay exclusive, but Street Fighter V Ultra...

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

They buy Square Enix and drop the Xbox One to $250 at the same time. At that point I think they might win.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Around the Network

didn't MS announce a form of Windows 10 for X1 and some apps running on all W10 systems?

I doubt that includes games though, as AAA/graphical intense PC games would need to be played in fairly low settings on X1 and people might pick up indies on steam/gog/through humble bundles for cheap instead of buying them through XBL, meaning MS doesn't get money from those purchases and makes their platform (even) less interesting for indie devs

Good idea in theory, but then there's reality...

So basically they'd be turning the X1 into just another "Steambox". Yeah, I don't see them doing that.

I'm sure at some point the X1's dashboard / OS will be updated, but certainly nothing on the level that would allow you to use the console as a de facto PC.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Puppyroach said:
What I do see MS doing though, is to completely open up X1 for the apps that are available in W8.1, soon to be W10. Developers will then be able to release their apps on X1 just as they do on PC

Isn't this already possible?

Since Microsoft's future depends so much on customers accepting/using platform-independent Windows "apps", I would have expected the ability to run Windows "apps" to be an obvious feature for the X1.

If it's not possible already, then it can only be a matter of time until it happens.

Native x86-compatible Windows software on the other hand? No way, because that is exactly what Microsoft must steer away from in order to survive in the future.

do you realize that retail pc games are cheaper than consoles and MS gets no royalties from selling them.