By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN gives Brawl 9.5/10! Woot!

tokilamockingbrd said:
It seemed like they were nit picking there way though this review... Good score, none of the issues they brought up have ANY bearing with me however.

Honestly, the review had to focus on the nitpicks, as it was an attempt to justify giving it a 9.5 and not a perfect 10. It was trying to explain why it wasn't perfect, rather than focusing on what we already knew was great.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
Riot Of The Blood said:

Seems a bit over the top to me, but this gen in full of over the top scores.

9.5 is the type of score you give to games like Super Mario 64 or Resident Evil 4, not stuff like Bioshock or Smash Brothers. Now, it seems like just about anything can get a high score.

I'm going to ignore this score, because I doubt the score itself gives an accurate summary of how good the game actually is. Instead, I'm going to be the judge myself. When I play this game come Sunday, I'll see how good this game really is. Untill then, however, I will remain skeptical.

Your just mad cause I flamed KoF, admit it.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:

Your just mad cause I flamed KoF, admit it.

lol

No, I'm not. You don't have to like the games I like. Most of them are niche anyways. 

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

Riot Of The Blood said:
@fkusumot

I'm not trolling. However, I do have a problem with the high scores games are getting. Don't you think it's about time standards are raised? Right now, just about any online shooting game can pull 9's and 10's. I disagree with that, I'm afraid. If you think it's trolling, I guess you will have to report me or something. I don't really care.

Uhm, SSBB isn't a online shooting game. I see you're trying to defend your assertion about FPS's. So what is your beef with SSBB getting a 9.5... have you even played it yet? 

jake_the_fake1 said:
no leader boards FTL!!!
as for the graphics, just as I expected.

I'll probably pick this game up when when it hits platinum prices, being cheap FTW!!!

Jake -- this is a Nintendo first-party title, so that would be next to never.

The Big N is very slow to drop the price on most first-party titles and almost never drops it on its biggest titles.

For example, SSMM (Melee) still sells for $30 new -- if you can find it -- for a console that is two years out of production.

And Brawl will be hyper large.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network

As for the review, it appears to be balanced and well-thought-out.

There are expectations that people have reviewers have for games -- even if people don't really care (i.e., voice chat). But those are triffling points -- and often things people love to slap companies about (complaining about Nintendo's on-line philosophy and friend's code is like shooting fish in a barrel).

What is interesting is that the "tacked on" single-player mode appears to be at least as long as Heavenly Sword for the PS3.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

fkusumot said:

Uhm, SSBB isn't a online shooting game. I see you're trying to defend your assertion about FPS's. So what is your beef with SSBB getting a 9.5... have you even played it yet?

Of course I have not played it; the game isn't even out yet.

As for my "beef" with the games score: 9.5 is a score you give to a monster game—a game that's so great it defines an entire generation. I'm talking about games like Super Mario 64, Zelda: OOT, or Resident Evil 4. Based on my prior experience with the Smash Brothers franchise, I simply can not put the game in that category. A 9.5 is, for me, probably what you would consider a 9.8-10 to be. I have my dooubts that this game is that good. That's all. I need to play it and see for my self.

I have not played a game for niether the Playstation 3, Xbox 360, or Nintendo Wii that I would give a 9.5 to. Zelda Wii would be the closest thing, but it's a bit dated.  

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

Not a bad review overall.  I still have a couple issues.  Mainly the graphics score.

An 8.5 on graphics because they look like Melee graphics?  It runs at 480p and 60 FPS and looks much better than Melee.

Yep, looks like a Gamecube game to me....

However, overall it's a well written review.  Thankfully it was written by Matt instead of Bozon (the guy who made all the ridiculous comments about the game in the podcast a few weeks back).   The score didn't matter to me as much as the content.  I just didn't want the review to be written in a way that it completely forgot the fans of the game and what they were looking for in it. 

Thankfully this wasn't a problem in the end and Matt did a good job understanding that Melee fans didn't want massive changes to the gameplay.  The score really doesn't matter to me.  I've already gotten 6 hours or so with this game and it's my favorite game of all time.  I know review scores will never reflect my opinion on this game, but I don't really care.   

Riot Of The Blood said:
fkusumot said:

Of course I have not played it; the game isn't even out yet.

As for my "beef" with the games score: 9.5 is a score you give to a monster game—a game that's so great it defines an entire generation. I'm talking about games like Super Mario 64, Zelda: OOT, or Resident Evil 4. Based on my prior experience with the Smash Brothers franchise, I simply can not put the game in that category. A 9.5 is, for me, probably what you would consider a 9.8-10 to be. I have my dooubts that this game is that good. That's all. I need to play it and see for my self.

I have not played a game for niether the Playstation 3, Xbox 360, or Nintendo Wii that I would give a 9.5 to. Zelda Wii would be the closest thing, but it's a bit dated.

Well, what you originally said was:

Riot Of The Blood said:
9.5 is the type of score you give to games like Super Mario 64 or Resident Evil 4, not stuff like Bioshock or Smash Brothers.

You categorically said that the score was not deserved. That's a stealth troll. You haven't played the game. It's not even out yet except in Japan. Hey, I gave you an example of a better way to do it.

If a 9.5 is the score a game so great it defines a generation should get then Wii Sports should have got a 9.5, but I've never seen you have a beef with the much lower score that it got.

I thought it would get a 9.5, it deserves it.