By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN gives Brawl 9.5/10! Woot!

The Ghost of RubangB said:
fkusumot said:
Final-Fan said:
So you would agree, for instance, that graphics scores for DS games should be capped at 5, Wii at 8 or 8.5, and 360/PS3 at 9 or 9.5? Because that's the argument you're making.

ONLY IF THAT'S 5 PER SCREEN!!!!

BING BANG BOOM! ZAP!

Hah, nice.

Obviously graphics should be judged by other games on the system.  That used to work best for handhelds, but it would be equally ugly to see graphic scores for the Wii compared to PS3 and 360.

Around the Network

Pick one dumb response:

NOT BUYING DID NOT GET PERFECT.

or

BOYCOTT IGN BIASED FAGASSHOLES!

I wish it was April and Web sites posted joke 0/10 or 8.8/10 reviews or something ...

So, we're set then Riot?

When Resident Evil 5 comes out the gameplay should default down to a 7 because the 360 and PS3 can't use the Wii's superior motion controls from RE4?

360 and PS3 graphics will never get a score above an 8.5 again? Gameplay for RTS and FPS games caps at 7 right? Wii graphics cap at 7 too?

naznatips said:
tastyshovelware said:
naznatips said:
Riot Of The Blood said:
L.C.E.C. said:
Graphics definitely deserved a 9+ (9.5 IMO), but still, a good score I suppose.

That's way to high. 9.5 is Killzone 2 or Gran Turismo 5 graphics. 8.5 is a great score for this games graphics.

That's ridiculous. You don't compare graphics to other platforms. You compare them to the other games on the platform in question. Otherwise DS graphics would never score above a 3, and PS3 and 360 graphics would never score above an 8 after Crysis.

a lot of people are comparing melee's graphics to brawl. last time i checked, they were on different platforms. the 8.5 is fine (if maybe a tad low).

Ugh, this is childish.

People are comparing sequels across generation to show system improvement. That's not the same as comparing Wii to PS3 graphics or DS to PC graphics. Each system has its own capabilities and should be judged within its own merits, not within the merits of others. If you are going to compare previous generation games to Wii games to show improvement that's fine, but clearly there is a vast improvement in all technical aspects from Melee to Brawl.

I have no problem with that. i just think it's silly that people are posting melee pictures (2001 gamecube game) next to brawl pictures (2008 wii game) and saying "wow, what a leap. 10!" 

L.C.E.C. said:
naznatips said:
Riot Of The Blood said:
L.C.E.C. said:
Graphics definitely deserved a 9+ (9.5 IMO), but still, a good score I suppose.

That's way to high. 9.5 is Killzone 2 or Gran Turismo 5 graphics. 8.5 is a great score for this games graphics.

That's ridiculous. You don't compare graphics to other platforms. You compare them to the other games on the platform in question. Otherwise DS graphics would never score above a 3, and PS3 and 360 graphics would never score above an 8 after Crysis.

I was agreeing with what Naznatips was saying. That's exactly what I was trying to say.

The only time you compare graphics between consoles is like with the PS3 & 360 ports of the PC game F.E.A.R.

Then why should the wii get a pass when it comes to graphics? (PC are often compared on better hardware than consoles) Is the Wii this generation game system or last?

If wii is surposed to be this generation console then it's graphics should be rated according to this generation and not last. (melee,ps2) I have surely seen a wii game get a higher rating because of it's controller.

Around the Network
tastyshovelware said:

I have no problem with that. i just think it's silly that people are posting melee pictures (2001 gamecube game) next to brawl pictures (2008 wii game) and saying "wow, what a leap. 10!"

Did you even read the review?  The reason people did that is the review said that it didn't look much better than Melee.  The reason people are saying it should be scored in the 9s is that it's some of the best graphics on the Wii.

Smidlee said:

Then why should the wii get a pass when it comes to graphics? (PC are often compared on better hardware than consoles) Is the Wii this generation game system or last?

Why should the 360 and PS3 get a pass on gameplay? FPS gameplay has always been awful compared to the PC, but it hasn't stopped them from scoring in the 9s. Now they've been surpassed by the Wii for shooters too. Are we going to start defaulting scores down because of unique qualities that the other systems have but they don't? Of course not.

You score a game for how well it performs on the system it's on. In every aspect (gameplay and graphics).  The only exception to this is cross-platform games, in which one console may have an advantage over another.  

(ign on brawl's graphics) 8.5/10

"Looks like an enhanced version of Melee. Improved character models and backgrounds. Everything runs in 480p, 16:9 and at 60 frames. Even so, the graphics definitely lack detail in areas."

melee scored an 8.0/10 for graphics. 6+ years have passed, standards have changed, the game is on a new console, yet brawl still has the better graphical score. meaning they do think the graphics look markedly better.

naznatips said:
Smidlee said:

Why should the 360 and PS3 get a pass on gameplay? FPS gameplay has always been awful compared to the PC, but it hasn't stopped them from scoring in the 9s.

I didn't know it didn't.  If a console game runs worst than a pc game is often noted. It seem to me most Wii fans want to their cake and eat it too.

All you guys complaining about the graphics score can you provide a list of games that scored better for graphics.