By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - favorite obscure/commercially unsuccessful game

Tagged games:

Insane Dreamcast game with bizarre mechanics and even more confusing story. I think the closest recent entry in gaming that reminds me of it in odd design choices and characters may be Deadly Premonition.

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I have a few:

Zack and Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure (Wii) -- this innovative and challenging console adventure game failed commercially, despite a campaign from IGN's Matt Casamassina

Psychonauts (Xbox) -- the best 3D platformer not made by Rare or Nintendo, Psychonauts deserved a lot better than the paltry numbers it received

Folklore (PS3) -- boasting a unique battle system and style to spare, Folklore nonetheless failed to make much traction among early PS3 adopters

Aliens: Infestation (DS) -- with its excellent "permadeath" mechanic and thrilling boss battles, Aliens: Infestation is one of the best (and most overlooked) Alien games in years

World Driver Championship (N64) -- "Wrong place, wrong time"is the best way to describe this simulation racer, which arrived on N64 in 1999, shortly after the phenomenon that was Gran Turismo

Zack and Wiki was a great game my wife and I enjoyed. 

I also LOVED World Driver Championship. It looked fantastic compared to GT. Engine sounds sucked, but it played great. In a similar manner, Beetle Adventure Racing was the best Need for Speed we got on N64. Great game.

Gitaroo Man! Music game for the PS2. The graphics are awful, and the style is so bizarre and horrible that barely anyone wanted to touch the thing. But I swear, every last person I put in front of that game ended up loving it and needing to hunt down a copy of their own. They tried releasing it on the PSP, but it had the same problem--looking completely awful.

They need to take the core gameplay and the awesome music and put it into a new package, because they obviously have a great concept on their hands. That single game is basically the only reason I can't get rid of my PS2. They should at least stick it on PSN.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

Herzog Zwei for Sega Genesis

Wildcard36qs said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I have a few:

Zack and Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure (Wii) -- this innovative and challenging console adventure game failed commercially, despite a campaign from IGN's Matt Casamassina

Psychonauts (Xbox) -- the best 3D platformer not made by Rare or Nintendo, Psychonauts deserved a lot better than the paltry numbers it received

Folklore (PS3) -- boasting a unique battle system and style to spare, Folklore nonetheless failed to make much traction among early PS3 adopters

Aliens: Infestation (DS) -- with its excellent "permadeath" mechanic and thrilling boss battles, Aliens: Infestation is one of the best (and most overlooked) Alien games in years

World Driver Championship (N64) -- "Wrong place, wrong time"is the best way to describe this simulation racer, which arrived on N64 in 1999, shortly after the phenomenon that was Gran Turismo

Zack and Wiki was a great game my wife and I enjoyed. 

I also LOVED World Driver Championship. It looked fantastic compared to GT. Engine sounds sucked, but it played great. In a similar manner, Beetle Adventure Racing was the best Need for Speed we got on N64. Great game.

I just bought Beetle Adventure Racing last weekend! I'm really looking forward to playing it.

Around the Network

Do Re Mi Fantasy: Milon's Adventure on SNES. This is my second most favorite platformer behind SMW on the SNES. Please play it if you are a platformer fan.

Earthbound, not really obsecure nowadays with the gaming community, but I know it sold very badly in the US when it came out

Ctrl-f takeshi

no results
Shame on you vgchartz

Wow. People need to re-evaluate. Lost Odyssey, Xenoblade, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Enslaved, Valkryia Chronicles, Silent Hill, Jet Set Radio, Blinx, etc. are hardly obscure. Some of those titles cleared over 500k!

My picks for favorite obscure game would be Nier, but that has turned into a bit of a cult hit.

I'll go with Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier. This was my favorite DS game. Honorable mentions to Virtual-On, Fragile, Folklore, and Knights Contract.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Skies of Arcadia - Dreamcast and Gamecube

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem - Gamecube