By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is the PS4 the most balanced console of all time?

I wish they were more powerfull, but each time a console was made with great power and high price it was a disaster.

Neo Geo (700 USS if its lauch date was 2014)
sold 390K vs the SNES 49,1 Millons

and specially 3DO Interactive Multiplayer (1143 USS if its lauch date was 2014)
sold 2 Millons vs PS 102 Millons

Also very few "most powerfull hardware" consoles won their generation. Glad that at least the PS4 is winning,

Around the Network

The games liberary needs to be balanced. Thats more important.
And that sure isnt the case.

''Hadouken!''

The PS3 is my favorite of all time, but yeah I think the PS4 is the most balanced "Console" of all time.

ArchangelMadzz said:
Puppyroach said:
Wasn´t the PS3 and 360 way more balanced for their time and actually really good consoles compared to computers then?

I don't know about the 360 but the PS3 was not balanced at all in terms of CPU power. The PS3's CPU in benchmark's is actually only 20% worse than the PS4 CPU. It's just because it was made by IBM and was a labarynth to code for and was basically not build for gaming at all. Sony saw high numbers and was like "Ooo lets go with that". 

Pretty much.  The PS3 is without a doubt the strongest console I have ever seen (For its time).  However it really wasn't optimized well at all.  It had bottlenecks galore.  However when used correctly games like Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2 made absolutely everything on 360 look like garbage in comparison.

No offense but frankly that's just how I see it, and my friends that have also been around both couldn't agree more.

Balanced is balanced , not more strong or more computer like. It just mean that if you move something in the specification it becomes a bottleneck. I think the PS4 is very well balanced. The only part behind is the CPU, but still, you have the GPU to compute too.
PS3 was terrible unbalanced for the time. It has a very strong CPU, in some ways theorethically faster than an old I7 in tflops, but it was so hard to program to take advantage of all the hardware that the teorethical power went to waste. Also the GPU of the PS3 was very weak compared to the CPU. The XBOX had a less powerfull processor and a little better GPU, with AA, thats why many multiplat games were better on XBOX. Only a few companies like Naugty dog took advantage of the PS3 Architecture, and thats why Uncharted games or TLOUs look so great for an old console.
Still, textures are blured and washed in almost every game, its kind of insane to put all the textures of a modern game on less than 0,5 GB of RAM. I think this is the first generation (8th) where you can see something more close to "real" in consoles. There is still some way to go.