Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Captain Toad reviews are here! 80% Metascore

Samus Aran said:
Areym said:
toot1231 said:
FATALITY said:
toot1231 said:
Not bad at all. Higher scores than Destiny lol

diferent games dude. 

and point is? Either way still a higher score.

Destiny has tons of more room for error. It tried to achieve many things and sadly, failed on some. This toad game is just a mario-spin off puzzler, Nintendo played it safe.

And Destiny had a €500 million budget... Captain Toad isn't even close to 5% of that budget.

If you're going to spout numbers at least know what you're talking about...$500 million was the franchise, not just a single game.

Around the Network

Gamekult 6/10

jetforcejiminy said:
Areym said:

Destiny has tons of more room for error. It tried to achieve many things and sadly, failed on some. This toad game is just a mario-spin off puzzler, Nintendo played it safe.

destiny set out to achieve nothing, it basically was a grindy shooter/mmo hybrid with awful matchmaking and a 10hr campaign. (talk about playing it safe!) and lo and behold, after setting out to achieve nothing, it somehow managed to achieve less than nothing. tbh it would have been the biggest marketing con of the year if this year had not been so filled to the brim with watch dogs and unity and the like. but at least destiny worked.

nevertheless, i'm comfortable with saying captain toad is a better, more imaginative and innovative game than destiny. because, well, it is. the reviews attest to that.

Allow me to disagree then. Destiny is much more open to larger audiences, as kids (granted they probably should not be playing it) teens and adults alike 
can get into. Captain Toad is also really accessible but much less desirable from the current trends in the industry( action, online multiplayer and shooters)

Neither game is very innovative, but Captain Toad is fresher experience since we have so many shooters now adays. As for reviews,  Captain Toad has 0 expectations while Destiny had so much hyper going into it and it failed to meet that hype for a good amount of its consumers. Captain Toad being good/great or even just average is fine, Destiny not being perfect is a much bigger issue.

It is easier to make a high quality game when it is small in vision and that's all I am trying to say. For what it is worth, Captain Toad is a reviwed game.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

jetforcejiminy said:
Areym said:

I don't see how that has relevance in this but ok. Destiny is on a much, much grander scale than Captain Toad. Granted, bigger isn't always better, you are right if that's what you implied.. Still, Captain Toad was a safe game for Nintendo, piggy backing on the Mario universe. If it had been a completely new character and universe, I don't think it would garner much buzz. Destiny is the start of a new mega-franchise (wheter it will stick has yet to be seen) and really prone to failure, Captain Toad is just another game for the Wii U.

a faceless massively multiplayer shooter blatantly ripping off halo's gunplay and character design (not that those are especially good) is not a risk. it is as safe as you can get. almost as safe as a gta clone with hacking (watch dogs). almost, but destiny takes the cake.

So bungie is ripping their own franchise off (Halo to Destiny) Yeah, ok.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

ijustlikegames:) said:
Samus Aran said:
Areym said:
toot1231 said:
FATALITY said:
toot1231 said:

diferent games dude. 

And Destiny had a €500 million budget... Captain Toad isn't even close to 5% of that budget.

If you're going to spout numbers at least know what you're talking about...$500 million was the franchise, not just a single game.

It only has one game. ;)

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
ijustlikegames:) said:
Samus Aran said:
Areym said:
toot1231 said:
FATALITY said:
toot1231 said:

diferent games dude. 

It only has one game. ;)

If you're going to continue showing you have no idea what you're really talking about there's really no need to continue this discussion.

Areym said:
jetforcejiminy said:
Areym said:

I don't see how that has relevance in this but ok. Destiny is on a much, much grander scale than Captain Toad. Granted, bigger isn't always better, you are right if that's what you implied.. Still, Captain Toad was a safe game for Nintendo, piggy backing on the Mario universe. If it had been a completely new character and universe, I don't think it would garner much buzz. Destiny is the start of a new mega-franchise (wheter it will stick has yet to be seen) and really prone to failure, Captain Toad is just another game for the Wii U.

a faceless massively multiplayer shooter blatantly ripping off halo's gunplay and character design (not that those are especially good) is not a risk. it is as safe as you can get. almost as safe as a gta clone with hacking (watch dogs). almost, but destiny takes the cake.

Bungie doesn't own Halo.

If Nintendo ever made a Banjo-Kazooie clone people would also be calling it a knock-off.

Areym said:
toot1231 said:
FATALITY said:
toot1231 said:

diferent games dude. 

Even when Nintendo plays it safe it trumps a 500m doller budget game with no problem.

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~
Samus Aran said:
Areym said:
jetforcejiminy said:
Areym said:

Bungie doesn't own Halo.

If Nintendo ever made a Banjo-Kazooie clone people would also be calling it a knock-off.

Not me, I'd call it a Mario 64 clone.

And the butthurt ensues.