By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can PS4 'Win Over' the Japanese Market?

Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires
Guilty Gear Xrd
Dead or Alive 5: Last Round
Resident Evil Revelations 2
Dragon Ball Xenoverse
God Eater 2: Rage Burst
Final Fantasy Type-0 HD
Bloodborne
Disgaea 5
Dragon Quest Heroes
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin
Mighty no. 9
Resident Evil: HD Remaster
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Yakuza Zero
Persona 5
Final Fantasy XV
Kingdom Hearts III
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3
Rime
Tekken 7
Deep Down
Gran Turismo 7 (confirmed by creator)
Silent Hills

New game from Level-5
New game from Guerrilla Games

Arc the Lad (trademarked by Sony last year)

The games will be there, but will it be enough?

Around the Network

I get what you mean but to what extent? Like will PS4's sales improve? Of course, look at those games, Japanese gamers would be mad to ignore it. Will it improve to PS3 levels of sales? Probably not, those Japanese gamers are already mad for ignoring awesome western games :D

Yes compared to the current console competition... But compared to say last gen (excluding 360) or say the 3ds, probably not

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

In the Past Sony won over Japan and then the world. But in the present Sony is winning over the world and then Japan.

Look at their weekly numbers for PS4. They are OK considering they have almost no Japanese games and most of the games they do have are also on the PS3.

You need to wait a year for the big Japan hitters and another year for PS3 games to become PS4 only games. Plus multiplats like GTA, AC and COD when they're PS4 only. It's a long transition but in 8 years time PS4 will have sold a very healthy number of consoles.

Its plausible but seeing this is Japan, its probably going to be a slow crawl since its become a handheld centric country.

Btw, how much does the Wii U lead the PS4 right now?

Around the Network

Win over? Like sell well? No. I seriously don't get the faith in any of those games. Just because a game is made by the Japanese doesn't mean that it will suddenly bolster hardware there. They don't care about those games anymore. Not enough to make a real difference.

spemanig said:
Win over? Like sell well? No. I seriously don't get the faith in any of those games. Just because a game is made by the Japanese doesn't mean that it will suddenly bolster hardware there. They don't care about those games anymore. Not enough to make a real difference.

You can't deny that Final Fantasy XV will be a huge deal :) Personally, I believe it will move 1 million PS4s.

spemanig said:

i just don't get this thinking. japan still buy a lot of consoles for 1 country. the days of japan selling the numbers of another entire continent like the EU or NA are gone. People need to accept that and Japan for what it is. 1 country that sells a lot of handhelds and a decent amount of consoles. 

Yes, it has a very good chance to do better than PS3 ans even Wii if Dragon Quest XI is announced.

It could be the best seller console since PS2

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

tiffac said:
Its plausible but seeing this is Japan, its probably going to be a slow crawl since its become a handheld centric country.

Btw, how much does the Wii U lead the PS4 right now?

Japan Sales:
Wii U 1.98 million

PS4     0.80 million

These are pretty accurate due to Japans tracking sites. http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/Hardware/JP/