By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The Xbox 1 is purposely oversized

Haha lol sevengen you almost had me. Well done sir.

Around the Network

@theprof00 smaller size is nto always a good thing. The size of the xbox one is perfectly fine. I rather have a big console that doens't heat up as quickly as teh ps4 does due to its small size. I definetly won't buy their new iteration , when i have perfect workign consoles. I know , there are people who do buy them but i find that incredibly stupid , especiallly the one you have works fine. And you have proof that they are doing this deliberately, jsut to make you buy another one? I think its most to avoid RROD that they had. They got too cautious hence the buig size as they didn't want to take the risk at launch. Theres no harm in that.

I honestly believe that MS did the smart thing by making the xbox1 a little bigger for better heat dissipation, it really is meant to do more than just play videogames. One of the biggest problems all electronics will have to deal with is lead free solder. That was the weak point on the xbox360, and to a lesser extent wii, and ps3. those systems would sometimes run real hot causing the solder around the GPU to soften, and when they cooled down, cause cracks in the connection. This is why the fix for the 360 was to reflow or reball the gpu.

It was clear that MS built a console/media hybrid system to be left on, long after you finished playing games. With that kind of thinking in place, they had to go the way of Nintendo, and create a system that only has visible, and not audible cues that it is on. I read up on the xbox1, the logo dims in low light conditions, so it does not distract you while watching movies. The Kinect is able to tell if you leave the room, or set down the controller, and sends it into battery saving mode. It can even tell if you picked up a different controller while playing a game.

I also get people that hate MS for having removable batteries, but it's not a dealbreaker to me. I prefer phones, and other electronics that have replaceable batteries. Since batteries degrade over every charge. it is nice to have them easily replaceable, even with rechargeables. My beef with my PS4 is that the controllers life is pretty bad, I suspect that frickin flashlight, and speaker (to a lesser extent) is the cause. Most state that it is no big deal since they can charge it while playing. With that in mind you don't even need batteries for the Xbox1 controller at all if you want to run a long micro usb instead.

It's clear MS decided to make a system that was meant to be put in the living room, or wherever family and, friends congregate. I personally like both systems alot. and both look right at home next to each other under my TV.

Also the metal inside the PS4 is aluminum. All consoles systems have them. they absorb heat really well by pulling the heat away from components, but this is just passive cooling, these systems are so GPU dependent need active cooling. I wonder who the manufactures of the fans were for both systems, Im guess ing with all the extra space in the Xbox1 if you wanted to you could run sound dampening material in there to make it even quieter. but the only thing that makes any kind of noise is the blu ray drive when it spins up.

theprof00 said:
ICStats said:
theprof00 said:
ICStats said:

Right.  They have a gigantic fan.  But it's not the only reason.

- The XB1 has a lot more vent space than PS4 so there is more air getting to the fan.  PS4 runs at higher air pressure / speed needed through the vents.
- No heat from the power supply in the box.

I asked you to prove to me that open spaces (within a shell) means quieter.
PS4 is louder because it uses a smaller, higher-powered fan. More rpms means more 'whine'. This is all case-building 101.
a larger fan runs at much fewer rpms to provide the same cooling. Number of vents or air pressure makes no difference because the important part of that equation is that none of those vents are facing you.
Sound travels in the air, so if air was vented toward the player, then yes, higher air pressure would result in the internal sound getting to the player more consistently. But ps4 vents out the back at a downwards angle, and xb1 vents from all sides.
Regardless, I'd be more inclined to think that more space in a shell provides more acoustic resonance = amplified sound.

You didn't ask me to prove anything if I racall .

Again, I agree larger fans are quieter because they displace more air at a lower RPM.  But this is only part of the equation.

1) If you cover up most of your PC's vents then internal temperature will rise, temperature differential between heat sync and air drops, and the fan will need to operate at RPM to get the same cooling.  This should be obvious heat dissipation physics.
2) Smaller vents require higher pressure (so higher RPM) to achieve the same air flow.  This is also obvious physics.  In layman's terms it's the difference between breathing through your mouth and breathing through a straw.  It takes much higher pressure to breathe at the same speed.  PC form factors usually have plenty of ventilation so this is a small issue.  Xbox one has ventilation on the top surface and sides, while PS4 mostly on the back.  It has a bigger mouth, so to speak.
3) XB1's vents all over the top and sides give it more space to dissipate heat around it, so it fares better in an enclosure.  Again what I was mentioning is my XB1 is happy in my cabinet all the time, but PS4 is not at all.  PS4 runs much more quietly outside with clear space around it's rear vents.

"I'd have to see some proof of that." xD
1) yeah but I don't know what you're even referring to. You make an metaphor of something that doesn't even apply?
2) ACtually, higher rpm isn't needed to produce the same airflow, physics dictate that the same amount of force through a smaller opening would create more air pressure. You're near to your point, but you're off in saying it takes "more air pressure to breathe at the same speed". That's not true. Air pressure is air pressure. There doesn't need to be another force at all. Just, like, a balloon. But yeah, it has a bigger mouth. However, again, that doesn't relate at all to the open space within the console, that's just about the vents. I completely agree that more vents helps airflow and air pressure, but you said that more space meant quieter.
3) That is because ps4 is meant to have a vented area behind it, and below, for example, against the wall on a shelf where it pushes the air down and behind, which follows exactly with the cords. If you have a ps4 in a media center, then that air is going to push around the base and back and run hotter because the airflow hits the same spot repeatedly, which increases cumulative heat.

Again, this doesn't relate to quieter.
I'll say again that a smaller fan has to run at a higher rpm than a larger fan. This creates "whine". This makes the ps4 fan louder. Nothing to do with vents or internal space. Furthermore, ps4 runs hotter just on basis of having higher clockspeed.

Just read your edit.
Again, yes that's true. However, it doesn't relate at all to the point I originally argued. This is called a strawman. I argued an earlier point and you've changed it into a new point and are arguing this other point that I've not disagreed with. I don't want to argue about air pressure from the vents, and I never have and never did. I agree that more vents are better.

I think you missed the points and I don't agree with you.

1) You admit you don't even know what I'm referring to.
2) You missed the point that it takes MORE force to displace the SAME amount of air through a smaller hole.  Again, try to breathe out through a straw and see if you can empty your lungs as fast as through your mouth.  You can't, because your diaphragm would have push much harder, to force the SAME amount of air through.  Similarly, the fan has to create a much higher force to displace an equal amount of air through the small vents.
3) Yes, so you agree with me that the vents make a difference.  The PS4 having them all at the back, while XB1 has them over the top and sides.
4) You argued about the airflow is going away from you where you can't hear it... so I clarified what I was saying to you.

What shouldn't really make a big difference is all the empty space in the Xbox One.  If the PS4 had vents all over the top like XB1 has, then it would be able to run quieter IMO.  It's just an aesthetic choice for PS4.

My 8th gen collection

Conina said:
V-r0cK said:
Microsoft is definitely not a designing company. I dont think I've really liked the look of any of their products except the newest 360 version, but that took 3 tries.

The Surface Pro 2 + 3 are praised for their design + build quality.

The Microsoft mice and gamepads are also very ergonomic and reliable.

True, but I don't think the X1 was designed to be held.

My Xbox One sits in a TV stand. So the size of the unit isn't much of a concern for me.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
ICStats said:

I think you missed the points and I don't agree with you.

1) You admit you don't even know what I'm referring to.
2) You missed the point that it takes MORE force to displace the SAME amount of air through a smaller hole.  Again, try to breathe out through a straw and see if you can empty your lungs as fast as through your mouth.  You can't, because your diaphragm would have push much harder, to force the SAME amount of air through.  Similarly, the fan has to create a much higher force to displace an equal amount of air through the small vents.
3) Yes, so you agree with me that the vents make a difference.  The PS4 having them all at the back, while XB1 has them over the top and sides.
4) You argued about the airflow is going away from you where you can't hear it... so I clarified what I was saying to you.

What shouldn't really make a big difference is all the empty space in the Xbox One.  If the PS4 had vents all over the top like XB1 has, then it would be able to run quieter IMO.  It's just an aesthetic choice for PS4.

Forget all that 1-4. That was not a point I was arguing in the first place. The only point there is that because ps4 has fewer vents, then the smaller fan has to work harder, which is what I was saying. Smaller fans are noisier.

What I was arguing is that the open area doesn't make a difference. You said that more open space makes it quieter. That is not true. The vents thing is true, but I never argued that. The only thing I said regarding vents was that the xb1 example being used was in an environment it was designed for, while the ps4 is designed to be on a shelf.

You're exactly right that if the ps4 had more vents it would be quieter, because the fan wouldn't need to work as hard. However, a small fan will never be as quiet as a large one while displacing the same amount of air.

That's all i argued from the beginning.

Mr Puggsly said:
Conina said:
V-r0cK said:
Microsoft is definitely not a designing company. I dont think I've really liked the look of any of their products except the newest 360 version, but that took 3 tries.

The Surface Pro 2 + 3 are praised for their design + build quality.

The Microsoft mice and gamepads are also very ergonomic and reliable.

My Xbox One sits in a TV stand. So the size of the unit isn't much of a concern for me.

I agree. But my point is that people who own the phat will be incentivized to buy the slim. Not all people, but they will.

theprof00 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I agree. But my point is that people who own the phat will be incentivized to buy the slim. Not all people, but they will.

Eh? You think people will buy the slim just because its a few inches smaller? Not sure that's the sole incentive to get a slim model.

If people want a the slim model its probably because they want another X1, old one broke, etc. I own three models of Xbox 360 because that was an awesome console and I put them in different rooms.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I'm not buying the whole elaborate scheme that you've proposed in this thread, but it was a fun read!

When I look at the inside of the Xbox One... Yeah it's really ugly looking compared to the PS4, but I know at the very least that air circulation shouldn't be a problem. The PS4's design is not so convicing of that. 

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

well most American people like anything that big (joke)