By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The Xbox 1 is purposely oversized

Mr Puggsly said:
theprof00 said:

spike not boost. sales went back to normal.

It's holiday season in the us. Obviously sales are going to pick up.

the arcade was 199$

However, when the slim was released it replaced some model and all those models were dropped some percentage for 2 weeks prior to clear stock.

No, sales were still better $399 than $499. Also, its safe to presume sales would have been worse without that change.

Yeah, its the holidays but the sales increase is massive. The $50 reduction played a role in that sales boost, not a newly designed console.

True, there was a price cut on old Xbox 360 models for the S model launch. But we have no idea how many of those were still available.

There you have the price drop on the 9th of june and sales going back to normal by August 1.

I could also print off for you the same deal that was offered when the ps3 slim came out and nobody bought until the slim arrived.

The sales increase is massive alright, but have you seen the competitor without the price reduction?

Look I'm not saying that price cuts don't affect sales at all. I'm saying they have their part, and slim releases are also a big deal too.
I'm just countering your assertion that slim doesn't affect sales.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

No, sales were still better $399 than $499. Also, its safe to presume sales would have been worse without that change.

Yeah, its the holidays but the sales increase is massive. The $50 reduction played a role in that sales boost, not a newly designed console.

True, there was a price cut on old Xbox 360 models for the S model launch. But we have no idea how many of those were still available.

There you have the price drop on the 9th of june and sales going back to normal by August 1.

I could also print off for you the same deal that was offered when the ps3 slim came out and nobody bought until the slim arrived.

The sales increase is massive alright, but have you seen the competitor without the price reduction?

Look I'm not saying that price cuts don't affect sales at all. I'm saying they have their part, and slim releases are also a big deal too.

March was the launch of Titanfall, so that made a spike. And again, sales would have been worse without the Kinect being removed.

I'm not saying a new redesign doesn't cause some spike in sales. But its not the game changer in sales like a price cut.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Burning Typhoon said:
Xbox One does allow more air-flow to it's fan. It allows the console to run quietly and not have any over heating issues, that were too common for 360. Microsoft knew they could not have that same issue again.

About console revisions.... I don't see too many people replacing their larger Xbox One consoles for smaller ones? I've never replaced a console unless it didn't work. They're all going to do the same thing anyway. Play games. Unless you need an extra inch of room, or whatever a slim would give you, or you just don't like the design of the original, why would you care about when a slim model comes out?

If I personally, were interested in an Xbox One, I know the last thing on my mind would be how big the console is. It would go in the same spot my large PS3 is in and my PS3 would go somewhere else.

Speaking from a design standpoint, both systems are fine... Wish PS4 Had more vents, but as long as it works without breaking it's fine. Same goes for Xbox one.

What I don't like about either console is that they both are simply not very good looking. PS4 looks like a discarded piece that fell off Metal Gear Rex, and the Xbox does look like a VCR, or something.

I don't think Metal Gear Rex is a bad design, but you get what I mean. Neither console is perfect, but size is the last thing on my mind. Hell, there are times my PS3 gets stupid-loud so anything different at this point would be fine. It's bothersome, yeah, but it isn't like it's impacting my experience a whole lot.

I can assure you that this is a common thing, most notabl seen in cell phone development and sales. There is something purposely left out that is satiated by the revision.

But you don't even  have to look any further than the gaming market.
This is a market that:
Releases games with LOCKED on-disc content
Plans DLC schedules while still in development for the game
Has Season passes to access content
Re-releases games with all the DLC included as new editions
Re-releases games on new gen consoles with slight upgrades to resolution and frame speed with DLC other than the previous edition
Charges the same amount for digital copies

And you're asking me why someone would buy a slimline? Ask yourself what prompted many users here to own 4+ x360s or 4+ ps3's.
Because half the people here are collectors, and they want every version. Others switch out and buy the new one and sell the old one. Just go in any thread about new systems and you'll likely find someone talking about selling their current to fund an upgrade, even within the same gen and console make.

Why are these things in the industry? Why does it make sense? Because people will buy it, even if they have no need. That is the fact about this market.

Mr Puggsly said:
theprof00 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

March was the launch of Titanfall, so that made a spike. And again, sales would have been worse without the Kinect being removed.

I'm not saying a new redesign doesn't cause some spike in sales. But its not the game changer in sales like a price cut.

Who said anything about a game-changer? You're spinning this discussion and I'm done with it and you.

*still love you puggsly. Just not going to entertain anymore of this*
(and yes, games do impact sales as well)

theprof00 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Who said anything about a game-changer? You're spinning this discussion and I'm done with it and you.

Well you said the 360 sales didn't increase until the slim model, but there are other factors that for the boost. Like the time of year and the Kinect.

Anyhow, a redesign can cause a minor spike. But my point was that's relatively nothing compared to what a price cut to a sweet spot can do.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
theprof00 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Well you said the 360 sales didn't increase until the slim model, but there are other factors that for the boost. Like the time of year and the Kinect.

Anyhow, a redesign can cause a minor spike. But my point was that's relatively nothing compared to what a price cut to a sweet spot can do.

There's literally nothing that can match a price cut to the sweet spot.

Again, that was never my point in the first place. However, a slim can induce sales of several hundred thousand. Even at a mere 100k increase, it makes sense, because a slimline of this will not cost anything. It's a free 100k. Do you get my point?

theprof00 said:
Burning Typhoon said:
Xbox One does allow more air-flow to it's fan. It allows the console to run quietly and not have any over heating issues, that were too common for 360. Microsoft knew they could not have that same issue again.

About console revisions.... I don't see too many people replacing their larger Xbox One consoles for smaller ones? I've never replaced a console unless it didn't work. They're all going to do the same thing anyway. Play games. Unless you need an extra inch of room, or whatever a slim would give you, or you just don't like the design of the original, why would you care about when a slim model comes out?

If I personally, were interested in an Xbox One, I know the last thing on my mind would be how big the console is. It would go in the same spot my large PS3 is in and my PS3 would go somewhere else.

Speaking from a design standpoint, both systems are fine... Wish PS4 Had more vents, but as long as it works without breaking it's fine. Same goes for Xbox one.

What I don't like about either console is that they both are simply not very good looking. PS4 looks like a discarded piece that fell off Metal Gear Rex, and the Xbox does look like a VCR, or something.

I don't think Metal Gear Rex is a bad design, but you get what I mean. Neither console is perfect, but size is the last thing on my mind. Hell, there are times my PS3 gets stupid-loud so anything different at this point would be fine. It's bothersome, yeah, but it isn't like it's impacting my experience a whole lot.

I can assure you that this is a common thing, most notabl seen in cell phone development and sales. There is something purposely left out that is satiated by the revision.

But you don't even  have to look any further than the gaming market.
This is a market that:
Releases games with LOCKED on-disc content
Plans DLC schedules while still in development for the game
Has Season passes to access content
Re-releases games with all the DLC included as new editions
Re-releases games on new gen consoles with slight upgrades to resolution and frame speed with DLC other than the previous edition
Charges the same amount for digital copies

And you're asking me why someone would buy a slimline? Ask yourself what prompted many users here to own 4+ x360s or 4+ ps3's.
Because half the people here are collectors, and they want every version. Others switch out and buy the new one and sell the old one. Just go in any thread about new systems and you'll likely find someone talking about selling their current to fund an upgrade, even within the same gen and console make.

Why are these things in the industry? Why does it make sense? Because people will buy it, even if they have no need. That is the fact about this market.

Who cares if content is locked on the disc.  It's still a digital portion of the game that was intended for an additional purpose.  You mean to tell me that you'd be okay with the exact same content as long as it isn't on the disc?  Shouldn't you be championing the idea that a company should hold off development of DLC for a game until after it has been released? (Not you specifically.  Yes, I read your post)

Rather that DLC is locked on disc or not, it doesn't matter.  You wouldn't have access to it either way because you weren't intended to.

I collect too.  It's up to the individual.  If you read my initial post, you'd see I did not leave out collectors.  I said most people would not buy it for those reasons, not that no one would.  I don't even care if it's the same model of one I already own, sometimes.  I have 2 of the same model dreamcastS which don't have the disc play-back restrictions, and I have 2 genesis model 2's, and a model 1.

As long as they do what I want them to do, it's fine.

Anyway, I agree.  But all that stuff you said about DLC can be summed to one thing.  Using development time for development of DLC and taking away resources from actual game development.  I don't care if it's a totally separate team doing the DLC, it's still wrong.  Being it on disc or not doesn't matter.  You're going to pay the intended price to get the content regardless.

And, "Because they will buy it," is the problem with everything.  It doesn't matter how unhealthy, or dangerous it is.  If people buy it, it will be sold.  Hence why most don't know what they're eating.  They only care that it's "the best thing I ever tasted before in my life."  But, that's a different subject.

Burning Typhoon said:

Who cares if content is locked on the disc.  It's still a digital portion of the game that was intended for an additional purpose.  You mean to tell me that you'd be okay with the exact same content as long as it isn't on the disc?  Shouldn't you be championing the idea that a company should hold off development of DLC for a game until after it has been released? (Not you specifically.  Yes, I read your post)

Rather that DLC is locked on disc or not, it doesn't matter.  You wouldn't have access to it either way because you weren't intended to.

I collect too.  It's up to the individual.  If you read my initial post, you'd see I did not leave out collectors.  I said most people would not buy it for those reasons, not that no one would.  I don't even care if it's the same model of one I already own, sometimes.  I have 2 of the same model dreamcastS which don't have the disc play-back restrictions, and I have 2 genesis model 2's, and a model 1.

As long as they do what I want them to do, it's fine.

Anyway, I agree.  But all that stuff you said about DLC can be summed to one thing.  Using development time for development of DLC and taking away resources from actual game development.  I don't care if it's a totally separate team doing the DLC, it's still wrong.  Being it on disc or not doesn't matter.  You're going to pay the intended price to get the content regardless.

And, "Because they will buy it," is the problem with everything.  It doesn't matter how unhealthy, or dangerous it is.  If people buy it, it will be sold.  Hence why most don't know what they're eating.  They only care that it's "the best thing I ever tasted before in my life."  But, that's a different subject.

Well, I'm glad we agree then because I'm not saying that on disc dlc is a bad thing or not. I'm saying that business wise, it is a logical thing to do because it works. Simple as that. I'm comparing releasing an "unfinished game with locked extras" to an "unfinished console with locked extras". That's it. Perhaps you inferred a slander but there was none there, I promise.

I didn't read the OP, but according to the durability test that Wright posted, X1 is stronger and lasts longer.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

MoHasanie said:
I didn't read the OP, but according to the durability test that Wright posted, X1 is stronger and lasts longer.

Because being dropped has a direct correlation of how much use you'd get from the consoles, right?