By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony ending partnership with FIFA

Munkeh111 said:
So Samsung replaces Sony and Qatar Airways replaces Emirates

Nothing is going to change

That's interesting. Both Sony and Emirates' deals were coming to an end anyways, so Samsung and Qatar Airways were probably gonna out bid for the sponsorship rights anyways. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network
MoHasanie said:
Munkeh111 said:

That's interesting. Both Sony and Emirates' deals were coming to an end anyways, so Samsung and Qatar Airways were probably gonna out bid for the sponsorship rights anyways. 

Both companies are just attempting to gain moral goodwill

FIFA's name is far more positive than toxic in most places around the world

Munkeh111 said:
MoHasanie said:
Munkeh111 said:

True, even Qatar Airways has been accused of treating its staff horribly. And more importantly, Qatar Airways wouldn't want their biggest compeitor (Emirates) to be advertising all over their country's world cup.

MoHasanie said:
Munkeh111 said:

True, even Qatar Airways has been accused of treating its staff horribly. And more importantly, Qatar Airways wouldn't want their biggest compeitor (Emirates) to be advertising all over their country's world cup.

Emirates has too...

But the Qatar world cup is going to be built by near-slave labour. Doha is already being built like that. I spent a month doing an internship there and out of my hotel window I could see the 20 busses waiting to take all the labourers back to their camps at night

I don't normally take moral stances, but this really does appaul me

RenCutypoison said:
Bail said:
Always thought the Playstation - UEFA was a much better deal.

Definitely. Way cheaper with a more targeted marketing.

UEFA Champions League sponsorship is about 75 million per year.
This deal was 280 million for 8 years, so 35 million per year.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network

Good move, Fifa is nothing but a joke now. Sony can use that money for other things.

Munkeh111 said:
MoHasanie said:
Munkeh111 said:

Emirates has too...

But the Qatar world cup is going to be built by near-slave labour. Doha is already being built like that. I spent a month doing an internship there and out of my hotel window I could see the 20 busses waiting to take all the labourers back to their camps at night

I don't normally take moral stances, but this really does appaul me

Yes, unfortunately labourers being treated like slaves is a problem all over the Gulf states. Its the same in the UAE, although labourers have more rights in the UAE and there are more laws to protect them. Nevertheless, government owned contruction companies don't follow the rules so in cities like Dubai, you still have massive labour camps filled with hundreads of thousands of workers living in the most horrible conditions. 

Now is Microsoft's chance to gain control of Europe and rule with an iron fist.

Wow, Fifa really that corrupt? I don't follow soccer at all so I wouldn't know.

kupomogli said:
Now is Microsoft's chance to gain control of Europe and rule with an iron fist.

What would an MS FIFA sponsorship bring to European sales prospects?

EA would still have the license to the actual video game. As others have said, UEFA Champions League is the main event in football right now.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.