By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Watch Dogs shifts almost no copies on its Wii U launch in UK

@DonFerrari

Agree. It's obvious Wii U was a lost cause for third parties a long time ago. Maybe next Nintendo console would have a better opportunity with third parties than Wii U is.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Materia-Blade said:

HW broke 400k, and even 500k. bayonetta 2 will soon.

My bad... HW is 500k even though it is a Zelda spin-off... but curiously you didn't answer the point in question... 2 3rd parties games breaking 500k (and with luck Bayo2) is what you call a healthy enviroment for 3rd parties to push they support????

bayo 2 wont need any luck to far exceed 500k.

more often than not, multis sold enough to profit or at least cover costs. and that was when the installed base was at it's lowest. The enviroment is healthy, thirds simply don't try.

Materia-Blade said:
DonFerrari said:
Materia-Blade said:

HW broke 400k, and even 500k. bayonetta 2 will soon.

My bad... HW is 500k even though it is a Zelda spin-off... but curiously you didn't answer the point in question... 2 3rd parties games breaking 500k (and with luck Bayo2) is what you call a healthy enviroment for 3rd parties to push they support????

more often than not, multis sold enough to profit or at least cover costs. and that was when the installed base was at it's lowest. The enviroment is healthy, thirds simply don't try.

Still don't explain that more often than not how selling 500k is more profitable to 3rd parties than 5M.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

People really need to check their definition of the verb "flop", because I keep seeing it thrown around haphazardly and without care.

"Flop-To be a complete failure"

As far as I'm concerned, a game only truly flops if it fails to meet costs and represents a lost investment. For whatever reason, gamers have come to associate a "flop" with games that fail to make their production costs back three or four fold.

ZTxGhost said:
People really need to check their definition of the verb "flop", because I keep seeing it thrown around haphazardly and without care.

As far as I'm concerned, a game only truly flops if it fails to meet costs and represents a lost investment. For whatever reason, gamers have come to associate a "flop" with games that fail to make their production costs back three or four fold.

People can use words differently than you. And if you don't have the figures of how much costed the games then you can't even fanthom if it break even or not... but certainly we can't call 350k a sucessful for any big game even if cost was kept under check.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
ZTxGhost said:

People can use words differently than you. And if you don't have the figures of how much costed the games then you can't even fanthom if it break even or not... but certainly we can't call 350k a sucessful for any big game even if cost was kept under check.

Same can be said of people accusing games of flopping without accurate production costs of the game. I also never called the games in question a success, I'm just reminding people what constitutes a flop before they throw the term around incorrectly some  more. 

ZTxGhost said:
DonFerrari said:
ZTxGhost said:

Same can be said of people accusing games of flopping without accurate production costs of the game. I also never called the games in question a success, I'm just reminding people what constitutes a flop before they throw the term around incorrectly some  more. 

Since you are new here, or an alt who knows, most use flop to determine that the game completely undeperformed compared to expectations or concorrents. People love to say WiiU is doomed or flopped, if we go for profits Nintendo is losing money on it, if we go for expectations, it is quite behind the predecessor if we go for competitors they are quite more healthy... So is WiiU flopping?

Ha! That's what you get, Ubisoft, for treating Wii U gamers like scum! I would've bought the Wii U version at launch but since it was delayed I bought it for PC.

DonFerrari said:
Materia-Blade said:

Still don't explain that more often than not how selling 500k is more profitable to 3rd parties than 5M.

Seriously, WHAAAAT? I can't believe I have to say something this simple, but: forget this 5m that 99% of games don't achieve. and how does selling on one platform nullifies the profit of the other? they can sell one copy or a billion on other platforms, if it profits on nintendo consoles, it's a healthy enviroment.

Seems like gamers have more of a problem letting this game die in peace, than Ubisoft has