By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Watch Dogs shifts almost no copies on its Wii U launch in UK

padib said:

AND?????

Seriously? It's extremely self-explanatory. You claim ZombiU is a strong seller based on its sales, while claiming Pikmin 3 is not a strong seller because it is a sequel in a niche series. But Pikmin 3 outsold ZombiU, proving itself to be a stronger seller.

Around the Network
torok said:
EricFabian said:
torok said:
Expected. And after Bayo 2 fiasco we should only wait for Devil's Third to really conclude that there isn't a market for mature games on Nintendo consoles.

just like Microsoft did with original Xbox... oh wait

Why is it any similar? Halo, Ninja Gaiden, GTA and a lot of mature games sold well on the OG XB. The truth is that anybody that wanted these mature titles jumped ship to XBox or PS years ago.

Yeah the truth is the competetion between Sony and MS alone for that audience is so heated, that they took whatever scraps Nintendo had with that audience-base a long time ago. The last time Nintendo really had an exclusive that resonated hugely with that type of audience was GoldenEye, I remember even my Playstation-loving friends who didn't give a crap about Mario would reluctantly admit GoldenEye was "pretty awesome" and some of them even bought an N64 just for GoldenEye. 

Nintendo can't win with this crowd. Seriously try going to a store and convincing people who are buying a PS4 or X1 to buy a Wii U instead. You will get laughed out of the store. 

They want what they want, and what they want sure as heck isn't what Nintendo is bringing to the table these days. 

Even kids I find especially younger boys look at a Wii U like you're asking them to eat broccoli. They don't want that. They don't want the "mom approved console", they want the XBox or Playstation like their older brother is playing, they want "Calladooty" more than even that comic book collecting 30-year-old who lives in mom's basement. 

Soundwave said:

Yeah the truth is the competetion between Sony and MS alone for that audience is so heated, that they took whatever scraps Nintendo had with that audience-base a long time ago. The last time Nintendo really had an exclusive that resonated hugely with that type of audience was GoldenEye, I remember even my Playstation-loving friends who didn't give a crap about Mario would reluctantly admit GoldenEye was "pretty awesome" and some of them even bought an N64 just for GoldenEye. 

Nintendo can't win with this crowd. Seriously try going to a store and convincing people who are buying a PS4 or X1 to buy a Wii U instead. You will get laughed out of the store. 

They want what they want, and what they want sure as heck isn't what Nintendo is bringing to the table these days. 

Nintendo isnt going after them anyway...

padib said:

For a Nintendo IP, Pikmin 3 is a weak seller. For a 3rd party game, ZombiU is a strong seller. Relativity is key here.

The DS didn't sell on Nintendo-level selling 3rd party games. It sold on a few key strong selling 3rd party games and the obvious strong-selling Nintendo games.

Now relativity matters. But not relativity to budget or expectations. Only arbitrary relativity based on the publisher.

padib said:

DKC is just more of the same. I know I bought DKC but I didn't buy the sequel.

I bought and played Pikmin for the cube, do I need to play another Pikmin? No.

I don't want to play Bayonetta, a violent game about cliche demons versus demons versus angels.

In the meantime, a ton of people bought Mario Kart 8, I know I did. I skipped Mario Kart Wii, but I had to get this one.

I find it far too suspicious that you conveniently consider the games you bought to be big sellers while the games you weren't interested in are weak sellers even when they outsold the former. ZombiU was a financial failure and it has been outsold by at least ten other Wii U games, and is probably overtracked to boot. It is not remotely a good example of a strong seller.

padib said:
the_dengle said:
padib said:

AND?????

Seriously? It's extremely self-explanatory. You claim ZombiU is a strong seller based on its sales, while claiming Pikmin 3 is not a strong seller because it is a sequel in a niche series. But Pikmin 3 outsold ZombiU, proving itself to be a stronger seller.

For a Nintendo IP, Pikmin 3 is a weak seller. For a 3rd party game, ZombiU is a strong seller. Relativity is key here.

The DS didn't sell on Nintendo-level selling 3rd party games. It sold on a few key strong selling 3rd party games and the obvious strong-selling Nintendo games.

I don't think Zombi U really is a big seller, it just benefitted from being the big exclusive launch title that retailers ordered a lot of in anticipation of sales that never materialized. 

My Best Buy is still trying to clear out a fat stack of Zombi U inventory that's been rotting on their storeshelves since 2012, even at $14.99 people aren't biting on it. 

Which is a bit of a shame because it actually is a fairly decent game that probably uses the Wii U controller better than any game Nintendo has put out to date.

Wii U audience is just an enigma. They won't buy Zombi U. They won't buy Donkey Kong Country. Hell, even things like Just Dance and Wii Fit, which you figure then must sell OK on the system don't sell great either. 

Nintendo must be exasperated, it must feel like trying to feed a kid who doesn't like chicken, beef, vegeatables, bread, lettuce, tomatoes, pasta, etc. 

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
padib said:

(...)

Then there's obviously pokemon in 1994 I believe (or was it 1992) that just blew everything out of the water. We know that Nintendo is capable of these kinds of revolutions. The Wii Sports games sure lacked quality but they attracted buyers. Nintendo is able to do these kinds of things and it's not lightning in a bottle, it's a business philosophy. They just kind of lost the touch lately.

(...)

This right here is the key and Miyamoto has already explained the cause: In the eighth generation Nintendo was not interested in doing what is good business because that's boring.

Wii Sports is pretty much the definition of "lightning in a bottle" for this business. 

It's not repeatable. 

I'd like to know what Ubisoft were actually expecting to happen.

This is without a doubt, the single biggest case of "sending out to die" on WiiU yet. Even bigger than say Mass Effect 3 was (which pains me to say, because I like Ubisoft a whole lot more than EA).

This is likely the stupidest business decision they've ever made, when they should've either cancelled the game or hired three extra guys to get it out in time. Who's supposed to still buy this for full price with less content half a year late? Sure even if it was out at the same time as the other version it still wouldn't have sold much, but surely better than now and canceling would have saved them money. Then what do they do? They make a bad situation even worse by alienating whatever fanbase and goodwill they had left after being untrustworthy in the past by making stupid statements that serve absolutely no purpose whatsoever.

Also, I'm baffled how there's actually people here trying to pin this on Nintendo and it's installed base.

Against all odds, I'm still interested in this game. I've retired my PS3 since some time ago, I won't be getting any games for that system anymore, so if I get this game it will be on WiiU. There's of course absolutely no reason to get it now, so it'll have to wait until it's €10 before I'd consider the purchase.

Ubisoft was once my 'favorite' 3rd party publisher (if there is such a thing, they've all been dubious since the beginning of time) across all platforms, but they haven't done themselves much good this year. Maybe they should stop wasting their time on 'Anno Online' and give me a new DRM free Anno game, to win me back some confidence.

DonFerrari said:
Nintendo fans say DLC is a shit pratice them complain about lack of DLC, check.

TLOUR is a year late port of a game on the same platform holder and sold 2M, check.

GTA V is a more than 12m old port that anyone in last gen and for a doubledip isn't much different than last gen and computer will get a better version, check. Same for tomb raider. All of them full priced, check.

Bayoneta 2 is considered a sucess on WiiU by selling less than 500k, check.

AC and Destiny sells on the 5-10M window. WD as well, check.

If game launched along other versions it would still be inferior and people would still buy in other systems if they had them. 6m later don't change that only exclusive WiiU owners would buy it on WiiU, so what is the Point of all this Ubisoft is at fault when we know it would sell the same anyway?

About the 3rd parties should cater to Nintendo fans to sell well (350k it seems) on WiiU and lose 5M on other platforms, does it even makes sense?

Agreed. TLoU R, TR DE and GTA V are full priced game. Yet they sold very well.

padib said:
RolStoppable said:
padib said:

(...)

Then there's obviously pokemon in 1994 I believe (or was it 1992) that just blew everything out of the water. We know that Nintendo is capable of these kinds of revolutions. The Wii Sports games sure lacked quality but they attracted buyers. Nintendo is able to do these kinds of things and it's not lightning in a bottle, it's a business philosophy. They just kind of lost the touch lately.

(...)

This right here is the key and Miyamoto has already explained the cause: In the eighth generation Nintendo was not interested in doing what is good business because that's boring.

It is the key. You actually helped me figure it out. But once I did, which was about two years ago, it became clear to me how the usual dychotomy of games and gamers on these boards is broken.

It's as if all that matters are PS-XB exclusives or Western 3rd party multiplats, or the current more of the same Nintendo offering (take this with a grain of salt) that we saw on the U. And that's why so many people are wrong here.

Let me ask you ... and lets not even limit the discussion to Nintendo. 

Nintendo had success with Wii Sports. 

Rovio made Angry Birds. 

The company that made Candy Crush. 

Have any of these companies in the long term been able to consistently make "blockbuster" hits for the casual audience on a regular basis? 

The answer is: NO. The casual market operates by very different rules, I think this board has a lot of trouble understanding it because they keep applying "regular console" logic to the casual market thinking casuals look at their gaming habits in the same way. 

To a core player "Destiny, From the Makers of Halo" is a big deal. But the casual gamer doesn't care that you made Wii Sports or Angry Birds X years ago. They move on to something new/different, almost always from a completely different company the next time. 

Nintendo's mistake was thinking the casual market was the type of girl who wants to settle down and get married, when she's the girl who wants to party at a nightclub every night and has no intention of settling down. It's a fundamental misread on their part of that market ... and Apple easily has taken it away from them with a more attractive ecosystem of thousands of casual-ware given away for free or for a $1 a pop in a much more attractive hardware to the casual. 

Nintendo never stood a chance. 

padib said:
KLXVER said:

Nintendo isnt going after them anyway...

They are sadly (Bayo, early multiplats, U controller design). But they will correct themselves soon because money talks loudly.

They want them because its more money, but they arent doing much to attract them. Bayonetta wont do anything for most Sony and MS fans. The U controller design has nothing to do with getting non Nintendo gamers to their platform. The early multiplats were third party developers hoping to cash in on the launch. If Nintendo really did go after the those gamers, then they would have fought harder to keep the big third party games and not make games like Captain Toad, Pikmin 3, Yoshis Wooly World and Splatoon.