By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why Is Microsoft Panicking?

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Thats the truth across the board for both MS and Sony, but I am talking about the primary selling EXCLUSIVES is what we're talking about. MS lost two exclusives because of bad sales. Sony remains with the same number of exclusives as promised.

Microsofts first party has never been on par with Sony. This is why they had to moneyhat Tomb Raider, Dead Rising and Ryse which will all be on other platforms. Microsoft is not known for internal IP creation, while Sony and Nintendo both are.

I don't believe MS lost exclusives, to the contrary allowing games on PC helps them get "console" exclusives. That's appealing to developers knowing they can have their game available to Xbox and PC users. Right?

Remember, MS was getting great indie support on 360 because they allowed developers to put those games on other platforms. Sony had to change their stance to get more support.

MS's 1st party isn't on par with Sony's, its better. MS doesn't have an answer to Uncharted and Sony doesn't have an answer to Halo or Gears. Does Sony have a fighter at par with Killer Instinct? Nope. Does Sony have an answer to Forza Horizon 2? Nope. You see how this works?

I genuinely hope 2015 is better for Sony's 1st party. I want reasons to get a PS4 eventually.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:

As I said before Tomb Raider 2 moneyhatting showed Microsofts greatest weakness which is their first party and because they admitted that becuase they couldn't publish a game on par with Uncharted they moneyhatted to keep the game away from Sony so Sony wouldn't look stacked and they would have a competitor for that moment.

But that was a smart move. Tomb Raider is the only 3rd person adventure game at par with Uncharted so they got it as an exclusive.

Perhaps Sony should have money hatted a racing game. Because Driveclub isn't cutting the mustard.

Ultimately, neither Sony or MS has the best games in all genres.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

TheSting said:
theprof00 said:
TheSting said:
theprof00 said:
todd2r said:
So you're against discounts and sales? Makes sense. Carry on PlayStation prophet.

xbox fans should be a little worried about this, not pointing the finger. 75% discount on AAA games released within a month, not to mention their free to play weekend for this game. Console is 35% cheaper than launch a year ago.

Meanwhile ps4 is outselling ww and at the same price as launch.

MS now talking about an xb1 slim with a better processor?

This is an incontrovertible mess.

What game is 75%? What free to play weekend game?  The console took a huge piece out of the original packing? Not the same imo. Why should MS fans be worried?

FIne, don't. Not my problem.

Problem? This dude. What game is 75% so i can buy if i don't have? I don't know which one you're talking about. Seriously 

Sorry it's meant to say 75% of the price. I got up to finish the laundry and the thought broke. But I don't know why you're getting caught up one part. MS is literally giving away MCC and ANY game of choice during black friday...no, no, I'm not going to continue this, I'm sorry, I don't mean to berate anyone for the console they want. Xb1 is a great console with some amazing value and a solid holiday library. I'm truly serious, don't take it the wrong way. It's a great value, so enjoy it. Happy holidays.

Mr Puggsly said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Thats the truth across the board for both MS and Sony, but I am talking about the primary selling EXCLUSIVES is what we're talking about. MS lost two exclusives because of bad sales. Sony remains with the same number of exclusives as promised.

Microsofts first party has never been on par with Sony. This is why they had to moneyhat Tomb Raider, Dead Rising and Ryse which will all be on other platforms. Microsoft is not known for internal IP creation, while Sony and Nintendo both are.

I don't believe MS lost exclusives, to the contrary allowing games on PC helps them get "console" exclusives. That's appealing to developers knowing they can have their game available to Xbox and PC users. Right?

Remember, MS was getting great indie support on 360 because they allowed developers to put those games on other platforms. Sony had to change their stance to get more support.

MS's 1st party isn't on par with Sony's, its better. MS doesn't have an answer to Uncharted and Sony doesn't have an answer to Halo or Gears. Does Sony have a fighter at par with Killer Instinct? Nope. Does Sony have an answer to Forza Horizon 2? Nope. You see how this works?

I genuinely hope 2015 is better for Sony's 1st party. I want reasons to get a PS4 eventually.

Microsoft HAS great IP's but they did not internally develop them from scratch. Their abiltiy as a developer has proven absolutely little for brand that has been around for three generations. Other peoples legacies have carried them.Bungie, Rare & Epic games to be exact.Where they have gained respect is primarily as a publisher.

Sony has great IPs from Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Jak and Daxter, God of War, InFamous, Uncharted, Last of Us, Little Big Planet, Warhawk, Wipeout, the list goes on and on.

Take away the IP's MS purchased when they either purchased companies or the IP themselves and you're not left with much in terms of heavy hitters or even b list material on par with Sony. 

Again...MS is not known for IP creation. They are known for their publishing prowess and purchasig power with third party.

This article in Forbes put it best... Its pretty much known by the media that in terms of lifetime IP creation internally it goes like this...Nintendo> Sony> MS.

I've said it for quite a while now that Microsoft struggles to have an identity out of the big three. Why might you ask? Because they rely so much on third party and its so much about just spending money and little about actual nurturing of creativity unless its an outside company. Its all about who you can buy games from and not enough about what you want to seem like to people, so you create it to make yourself stand out. Sure, they've got shooters, but they bought that. Microsoft deserves it though for the investment in Halo, but you get the picture...the internal ability to create is the problem...not using another companies vision. The only major games I can actually give MS credit on bringing to life are Fable, Forza, Project Gotham and Crackdown. Two of those we already knew would be good because MS has had history in simulations before they entered the console race.

"For all the complaints about the Xbox One, be they Kinect or resolution or what have you, I think their biggest struggle is a lack of compelling exclusive franchises. Rather than list theirs and that of their competitors, I always try to envision it like this: If you had to make an “all stars” fighting game for Xbox, who would you have as playable characters?

Nintendo has Smash Bros, full of so many classic and exclusive franchise characters they can’t even all fit in an already bloated roster. Sony has PlayStation All-Stars, which may have had less of a selection, but still pulled from many of its famed series which allowed characters like Kratos, Nathan Drake, Infamous’s Cole, Killzone villains, Twisted Metal’s Sweet Tooth, Sackboy, and Sly Cooper. And if it were updated, perhaps it would include Joel and Ellie from The Last of Us, as well.

But who would be there in a Microsoft MSFT -1.51% game? Master Chief and Marcus Fenix, obviously. Maybe a Dead Rising protagonist. A Crackdown cop? A Fable NPC? And I’m already reaching for more."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/06/24/xbox-ones-next-hurdle-developing-true-exclusives/

theprof00 said:
TheSting said:
theprof00 said:
TheSting said:
theprof00 said:
todd2r said:
So you're against discounts and sales? Makes sense. Carry on PlayStation prophet.

xbox fans should be a little worried about this, not pointing the finger. 75% discount on AAA games released within a month, not to mention their free to play weekend for this game. Console is 35% cheaper than launch a year ago.

Meanwhile ps4 is outselling ww and at the same price as launch.

MS now talking about an xb1 slim with a better processor?

This is an incontrovertible mess.

What game is 75%? What free to play weekend game?  The console took a huge piece out of the original packing? Not the same imo. Why should MS fans be worried?

FIne, don't. Not my problem.

Problem? This dude. What game is 75% so i can buy if i don't have? I don't know which one you're talking about. Seriously 

Sorry it's meant to say 75% of the price. I got up to finish the laundry and the thought broke. But I don't know why you're getting caught up one part. MS is literally giving away MCC and ANY game of choice during black friday...no, no, I'm not going to continue this, I'm sorry, I don't mean to berate anyone for the console they want. Xb1 is a great console with some amazing value and a solid holiday library. I'm truly serious, don't take it the wrong way. It's a great value, so enjoy it. Happy holidays.

Gotcha. Cool beans man

Around the Network

Hi! What's this thread?

(checks topic)

Hmmmm....

(checks OP)

(composes reply...)

Yeah man. It's the end times fo shoow.

(contemplates whether MS' marketing pricing strategy is working better than expected - considering the existence, and OP - of this thread).

In fact - I think I could safely copy pasta repost this in nearly every Xbox related thread started by some of the "usual suspects" from now until February. With extra helpings BF week.

OP will fond this interesting.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=125163689&postcount=7090

Games aren't meeting sales projections and they're trying to give it a boost.

Some of the people here are really talking out of fanboyism and not addressing the issue OP brought. If you keep decreasing the price of your new products soon after release, early adopters will not going to buy your products new, or less people will buy them next time as they would wait for a discount just few weeks after.

Also, it decreases the value of SO bundle. If you can buy the game for $15 instead of $60, you won't be interested in that bundle but in other bundles.

They're panicking because the Xbox One has been an outright flop in Europe so far. Not as bad as the Wii U, but it's still been a flop.