By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - WOAH. Smash Wii U looks GORGEOUS!!

TheLegendaryWolf said:
platformmaster918 said:
It's very pretty, but Nintendo art style is pretty basic.

So, Nintendo should have gone photorealistic with the character designs?

I didn't say it was bad.  There just aren't a great amount of crevices and such.  They keep things kind flat in order to keep resoultion and framerate up and pop some colors.  It's very pretty like I said.  Look I bought the game at midnight so obviously I like it.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
curl-6 said:
I'm still not convinced 1080p was the best decision for a 60fps game on Wii U, it does seem to have taken a noticeable toll on the textures, shaders, and modelling.
(Then again, I haven't played the game, I'm only going off online pics/vids)

It was the best decision. I never saw anything wrong with any textures, and the shading, while nothing special, really doesn't leave anything to be desired. The modelling is lackluster, but really you only notice it sometimes in result screens and stuff like that. During actual gameplay, the graphics are perfect, and I think going for 1080p in a game like Smash is important since in big stages with loads of people playing (and now we can go up to 8) the characters can get quite small on-screen. Full HD is good to help keep everything defined and crisp clear so people still have an idea what the hell is going on.

Since I have not played it myself, I only have the opinions of others and screens/vids as references, so maybe it does look better in person and my scepticism is misplaced.

It's just that after the beauty of Mario Kart 8, I was underwhelmed by trailers and screens of Smash U.

curl-6 said:
mZuzek said:
curl-6 said:
I'm still not convinced 1080p was the best decision for a 60fps game on Wii U, it does seem to have taken a noticeable toll on the textures, shaders, and modelling.

It was the best decision. I never saw anything wrong with any textures, and the shading, while nothing special, really doesn't leave anything to be desired. The modelling is lackluster, but really you only notice it sometimes in result screens and stuff like that. During actual gameplay, the graphics are perfect, and I think going for 1080p in a game like Smash is important since in big stages with loads of people playing (and now we can go up to 8) the characters can get quite small on-screen. Full HD is good to help keep everything defined and crisp clear so people still have an idea what the hell is going on.

Since I have not played it myself, I only have the opinions of others and screens/vids as references, so maybe it does look better in person and my scepticism is misplaced.

It's just that after the beauty of Mario Kart 8, I was underwhelmed by trailers and screens of Smash U.

Trust me it looks gorgeous, I thought it look mediocre with all the pics/vids from youtube even at 1080p/60fps for my suprise when I booted it I was shocked how pretty it looked. The pic of day and all the videos didn't make justices.

Yup, a fantastic game. Probably in the lead for GotY, imo

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

When I saw the screenshots I wasn't overly impressed, but I'll be playing it in a few days so i'll see what I think then!

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

I'm with you in this for all other games, but since they revealed 8-player Smash and Big Arenas it made sense to do it 1080p.

NNID: MagicalLight

FC: 4124 - 5888 - 4804

curl-6 said:
RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

If it was bullshots, it would better in stills.

It's all a matter of perception. Yes, it's not Nintendo who uses bullshots, but everyone else does. Therefore screenshot comparisons suggest that Nintendo games aren't really good looking.

Kind of like how Nintendo gave real world performance figures for Gamecube while Sony/MS gave misleading theoretical benchmarks for PS2/Xbox, leading to the false assumption that Gamecube was far weaker.

How did that work out for them then :P ? Even when they had hardware advantige, they didnt know how to utilise it well

Kane1389 said:
curl-6 said:

Kind of like how Nintendo gave real world performance figures for Gamecube while Sony/MS gave misleading theoretical benchmarks for PS2/Xbox, leading to the false assumption that Gamecube was far weaker.

How did that work out for them then :P ? Even when they had hardware advantige, they didnt know how to utilise it well

As in most things commercial, honesty doesn't pay.

Neglecting to really leverage the full power of their own hardware has been one of Nintendo's Achilles Heels for a while now, (with a few exceptions, like the Metroid Prime trilogy and the Mario Galaxy games) though luckily for them they've had studios like Factor 5 and Shin'en to do it for them.