By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Disney Nintendo Acquisition?

IkePoR said:
C0LINx said:
IkePoR said:
What can Disney possibly stand to gain? The audience Nintendo has? Disney already has them.

More intellectual properties? Yea Disney has a lot, but Nintendo has some of the most recognizable and something Disney would surely want.

The thing about Disney and Nintendo is both of their products appeal to both everyone. Surely Disney haven't proven themselves in the video game space, why wouldn't they want the company who many people consider the Disney of gaming?

First point: who are they going to sell to?  Many - probably 40% - of the same people who buy Mario Kart 8 buy Frozen stuff.  The audiencne is mostly made up of the same people: parents and preteens(who still behave like children and aren't obsessed with violence).

I think you're on to something with your second point but in respose you kinda mentioned it yourself.  Nintendo is the Disney of games and Disney is the Disney.  The money Mario makes comes from the same purse as Toy Story's money.

More IP's to build off of is never a bad thing and to be clear, Nintendo has so many IP's that can appeal to many different varieties of people so just because the target demo is the same is kinda irrelevant since games like Legend of Zelda and Metroid are primarily enjoyed by teenagers to adults and Pokemon is an everyone kind of franchise. We can't assume that Mario is the only thing Disney could capitalize off of if they bought Nintendo. 

As for the second point, I think you kinda missed what I was trying to say. Yes, they can appeal to the same demographic, but having Nintendo's ip's puts Disney into the gaming industry which they really have failed to do successfully. I really wouldn't call Disney Infinity the blockbuster Disney had hoped.

Around the Network

I can understand that prospect.  However, I'm not sure if it's really worth it for Disney, even after you capitalize on Nintendo's IP's.  Is the money made in gaming really anything next to what a Disney/Pixar film makes?  Is it really worth the investment, especially in the short term with all the goings on with Marvel and LucasArts?  

Disney and Nintendo are in the fortuate situation that they don't have to take a lot of risks.  They can chose to(more so Disney than Nintendo), but both have been kinda doing the same things over and over(Pirates of the Carribean/MarioMarioMario) and it prints money.  Yeah Infinity wasn't a huge hit but Kingdom Hearts probably makes back anything they lost in the process.

I don't know if the profit of Nintendo would outweigh the cost.  Yeah they'd make money - but not Disney money.  Disney isn't fucking Disney because they make some money on investments, they make more money than they can count.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

daredevil.shark said:
They refused $25 billion offer from Microsoft (back in 90s). Lol. This wont be happening.

Wonder if MS is offering up again? Seems they are in buying mode.

Nintendo will refuse 100 Billion.

Won't happen. The company is Proud and Standing.

C0LINx said:
IkePoR said:
What can Disney possibly stand to gain? The audience Nintendo has? Disney already has them.

More intellectual properties? Yea Disney has a lot, but Nintendo has some of the most recognizable and something Disney would surely want.

The thing about Disney and Nintendo is both of their products appeal to both everyone. Surely Disney haven't proven themselves in the video game space, why wouldn't they want the company who many people consider the Disney of gaming?

Outside of the videogame community, Nintendo only has Mario and Pokemon.

I remember when I gave my GC and Zelda to my nephew and my mom kept referring to Link as "Peter Pan". Sometimes, us gamers live in a bubble. Make no mistake about it, most people have no idea who Link or Samus is.

Around the Network
DJEVOLVE said:
daredevil.shark said:
They refused $25 billion offer from Microsoft (back in 90s). Lol. This wont be happening.

I thought that story was debunked.

NewGuy said:
DJEVOLVE said:
daredevil.shark said:

I thought that story was debunked.

Not sure I'm just going off what he said and microsofts spending habits lately.

tsogud said:

I really don't like the idea of Disney acquiring Nintendo. If anything, I'd much rather prefer a partnership between the two.

A partnership would be better, Nintendo needs to be itself sometimes.  Plus it's not like the 2 haven't been partners before:

Hiroshi Yamauchi, standing alongside Roy O. Disney, securing the infamous Disney/Nintendo playing card deal.

Phew. I was worried that the games didn't have nonsense characters already.

Could the thread title be changed to "Polygon Clickbait Bullshit"?

Cheers.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3