By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sakurai on why Mewtwo isn’t paid DLC in Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS

Whatever, I am willing to pay $5-$10 for Mewtwo and some extras. And I doubt I am alone with that instead of buying two versions of a game.

Around the Network

It costs around 105 dollars, come on, man.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Dunban67 said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Mewtwo is their way of testing DLC distribution for the title. Should anything go wrong, most buyers won't feel like they have wasted any money for a faulty product.

Tell that to the person who pays &40 or $60 to get a copy of Smash they were not planning on getting I order to get Mewtwo 

If that fool is willing to pay $40-60 just to get a character for free, he deserves to get screwed over.

the_dengle said:
That's not an explanation

what does that even mean

Honestly how I have been feeling about comments from Sakurai lately. Something has to be lost in translation because I can't even try to understand this.

Darwinianevolution said:
HylianSwordsman said:
Darwinianevolution said:
The question is: will I be able to get mewtwo even if I just have one version of Smash?

Probably not. They might even release more characters like this to sell both versions. I personally wouldn't mind, so long as they let you play against people online as Mewtwo who don't have the Mewtwo DLC.

But that would be unacceptable! You'd have to pay for a 3DS, a SSB3DS, a WiiU and a SSBWiiU just to get one character. That's a ton of money, even if they add 10 new characters. Releasing the fighters as individual DLC and allowing owners of both versions to get it all for freemakes more sense financially.

Yeah,  when you break it down, this is dumb.  I didn't know you needed both versions.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Around the Network
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
Dunban67 said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Mewtwo is their way of testing DLC distribution for the title. Should anything go wrong, most buyers won't feel like they have wasted any money for a faulty product.

Tell that to the person who pays &40 or $60 to get a copy of Smash they were not planning on getting I order to get Mewtwo 

If that fool is willing to pay $40-60 just to get a character for free, he deserves to get screwed over.

Why do you think Nintendo is giving it only to people who have both games?   I would not understand someone doing it but there seem to be people really want the character -  again Nintendo is counting on people doing this otherwise why make owning both a requirement for a character that is very popular?

Darwinianevolution said:
HylianSwordsman said:
Darwinianevolution said:
The question is: will I be able to get mewtwo even if I just have one version of Smash?

Probably not. They might even release more characters like this to sell both versions. I personally wouldn't mind, so long as they let you play against people online as Mewtwo who don't have the Mewtwo DLC.

But that would be unacceptable! You'd have to pay for a 3DS, a SSB3DS, a WiiU and a SSBWiiU just to get one character. That's a ton of money, even if they add 10 new characters. Releasing the fighters as individual DLC and allowing owners of both versions to get it all for freemakes more sense financially.

They released a full game. You really don't have much to complain about. If you're seriously looking at the purchase of a 3DS or Wii U as being the price of the character, then wow, you're looking at it wrong. You're getting a fucking game system and access to a library of games. This isn't to sell systems, it's to sell copies of the game to people who already have the systems. If Smash isn't going to sell a Wii U to a person, then a single additional character in Smash isn't going to either. Same with the 3DS. Regardless, they've said no paid DLC, so Mewtwo is either a temporary exclusive or they're expecting you to have both systems. Seriously though, who is going to buy a Wii U and only ever play Smash on it? And if they have $300+ dollars to be spending on a single game, then if they don't want to spend a bit more to get the extra character, that's their problem. I seriously cannot imagine someone having such narrow gaming tastes that there would be nothing on Wii U besides Smash that they'd enjoy, and it's even more ridiculous to say that about 3DS. Maybe Smash is what made them buy the system, but really, if a person is honest with themselves, there's at least a few games on Wii U and 3DS that they'd play if they were on other systems. You're acting like a person who owns neither a 3DS or Wii U has to pay around $500 dollars for one character, but that character is not all they're getting, and I refuse to believe that a single person exists who wouldn't get something else out of owning both systems besides access to Mewtwo.

Mewteo is $40 paid dlc, dont lie Sakurai.
No seriously though I may buy the 3DS version, register the code and then return it if I have too. EB never do anything about it.

HylianSwordsman said:
Darwinianevolution said:
HylianSwordsman said:
Darwinianevolution said:

They released a full game. You really don't have much to complain about. If you're seriously looking at the purchase of a 3DS or Wii U as being the price of the character, then wow, you're looking at it wrong. You're getting a fucking game system and access to a library of games. This isn't to sell systems, it's to sell copies of the game to people who already have the systems. If Smash isn't going to sell a Wii U to a person, then a single additional character in Smash isn't going to either. Same with the 3DS. Regardless, they've said no paid DLC, so Mewtwo is either a temporary exclusive or they're expecting you to have both systems. Seriously though, who is going to buy a Wii U and only ever play Smash on it? And if they have $300+ dollars to be spending on a single game, then if they don't want to spend a bit more to get the extra character, that's their problem. I seriously cannot imagine someone having such narrow gaming tastes that there would be nothing on Wii U besides Smash that they'd enjoy, and it's even more ridiculous to say that about 3DS. Maybe Smash is what made them buy the system, but really, if a person is honest with themselves, there's at least a few games on Wii U and 3DS that they'd play if they were on other systems. You're acting like a person who owns neither a 3DS or Wii U has to pay around $500 dollars for one character, but that character is not all they're getting, and I refuse to believe that a single person exists who wouldn't get something else out of owning both systems besides access to Mewtwo.

I would like to have a WiiU, but I can only afford one system per gen (plus PC discounts). One of the benefits of portable gaming is that's cheaper than home console gaming. I bought a system and a game, so I would like to get the most from it.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:

Apparently you will be able to but you have to pay for it.

http://nintendoeverything.com/smash-bros-mewtwo-dlc-may-be-available-for-purchase-in-the-future/