By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which system made a better come back after being an initial disappointment?

Which system surprised you the most after initially being a dud in your eyes?

Wii U 50 17.61%

PS3 129 45.42%

X1 35 12.32%

Vita 2 0.70%

3DS 44 15.49%

Other, post below 4 1.41%

None 4 1.41%

See results 15 5.28%

Total:283
DigitalDevilSummoner said:

The Wii was introduced as a new console but technically, it was not really a new hardware, it was only an improved Gamecube. Same CPU & GPU only clocked higher. It was not a true successor. More like the "new Gamecube" (get it ?!)

Of note, "Broadway, the Wii's CPU, is a derivative of the PowerPC 750 CL clocked at 729Mhz," and that the "Hollywood" GPU has "no notable increases in programmability" over the Gamecube's "Flipper" GPU. The end result? "The Wii has the processing power of one-and-a-half GameCubes with no noteworthy increases in functionality." http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2007/09/gamecube-1-5-the-numbers-behind-the-wiis-technology/

Casual gamer is the person who buys games irregularly and doesn't have a serious intention towards them (playing drunk with friends). Several Wii games were well advertised. With all due respect that was a weak attempt at a hipster comment !

Still a sucessor. Gens are defined by timeframes and not power. And even then, the Broadway CPU still is the base for the Wii U's CPU, that's basically a 3-core version of the Wii's CPU. Of course, the U's GPU is a different beast.

Around the Network

Wii-U and Vita made a comeback? I must have missed something then, both are still performing very poorly.

And no a small expected bump with MK8 is not a comeback.

AnthonyW86 said:
Wii-U and Vita made a comeback? I must have missed something then, both are still performing very poorly.

And no a small expected bump with MK8 is not a comeback.

Yeah pretty much. Making a comeback would imply changing how people view the product. Which is not at all what Wii-U and Vita have done.

PS3 by far. It was released almost a year later than the competition, it was priced far out of reach of most comsumers and well above the competition, its launch titles were average whilst its first year titles were not much better, it had inferior(albeit free) online gaming, the list goes on. In around 2009-2010 things starting really improving when the price dropped, bluray won the next-generation media war, great exclusives started pouring in, Uncharted(this series really did wonders for the console). It was never going to beat the Wii as that console had an extremely popular gimmick inherent to it which does not occur every console cycle but for the PS3 to beat the 360(although by a small margin) with all it had going against it(a year less in the market, much higher price, no dude/bro tie-ins with the likes of COD and Gears) and to sell well over 80 million units... That is something. I recall Gabe Newell publicly stating Sony should just discontinue the PS3 and start over... That is how bleak the situation was for Sony and yet they prevailed. The Wii U/Vita will never see a come back like that.

Don't get 3DS arguments. It was always going to get those Nintendo franchises like every Nintendo console and it was a market leader from the start. Sure it started out slow but Vita wasn't out yet and they were going to have a price advantage

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network

naruball said:
the_dengle said:

It's like you don't realize the PS2 sold over 150 million on the backs of the very "casual" crowd the Wii stole from it. The Wii was absolutely competing with the PS3, for the PS2 audience.

And Sony definitely wanted that PS2 audience, that's why the PS3 was a Blu Ray player.

And you know this how exactly? Who says there wasn't a Blu Ray player to push the Blu Ray format? 

Same way the PS2 pushed the DVD format. Both were to sell more players to make Sony more money. The same request applies to you, though. Don't quote me again.

There is no need for this terrible attitude of yours. If you didn't want me to quote you, you should't have replied to me.  But clearly you did. 

But don't worry, I will no longer waste my time with you. 

DigitalDevilSummoner said:
XanderXT said:

A console geneartion starts when a company releases the successor to a console. It can also be a new console. And casual in my opiniom is someone who only buys the same thing every year, or anything that is very advertised.

The Wii was introduced as a new console but technically, it was not really a new hardware, it was only an improved Gamecube. Same CPU & GPU only clocked higher. It was not a true successor. More like the "new Gamecube" (get it ?!)

Of note, "Broadway, the Wii's CPU, is a derivative of the PowerPC 750 CL clocked at 729Mhz," and that the "Hollywood" GPU has "no notable increases in programmability" over the Gamecube's "Flipper" GPU. The end result? "The Wii has the processing power of one-and-a-half GameCubes with no noteworthy increases in functionality." http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2007/09/gamecube-1-5-the-numbers-behind-the-wiis-technology/

Casual gamer is the person who buys games irregularly and doesn't have a serious intention towards them (playing drunk with friends). Several Wii games were well advertised. With all due respect that was a weak attempt at a hipster comment !

Console generations are by timeframe, not power. If it was by power, then the Xbox &Gamecube would have been in the seventh generation, being more powerful than the PS2.

PS3 came from genuine doom levels to take the X360 in lifetime and the Wii for every year after I think year 4.

The Wii U has gone from Doom Doom levels to possibly Doom levels. It can have a good xmas but will drop hard in the new year. It's total sales are a tiny fraction of the X1 and PS4 combined. It's pretty irrelevant sales wise.

jlmurph2 said:
spurgeonryan said:

PS3- Distant third place to commanding second place last gen. Nuff said.

I voted PS3, but this is wrong. PS3 and 360 are way too close to say which one is in a commanding second place. Only thing you can say is that they're statistically tied.

I agree with this.  Hardly a commanding lead.  I almost laughed when I read that...

It is near the end of the end....

I dont think anything will ever beat the ps3 in that regard. 3DS did have a pretty great comeback, though.