By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Who needs games: PS4's first year [EUROGAMER]

NightDragon83 said:
Burek said:
NightDragon83 said:
I think the PS4's biggest selling points in its first year on the market were that A) It was $100 cheaper than the X1, and B), M$ was deemed the Lord of All Evil after E3 2013, and therefore buying a PS4 was the best way to give them the finger.

Had nothing to do with the software really... 8 out of the top 10 best selling PS4 games are multi-platform, multi-generational titles. Its top-selling exclusives 1 year out are launch title KZ: Shadow Fall, inFAMOUS: Second Son, a remastered version of TLOU, and launch title Knack which was also packed in with the system in other regions. It actually has a lower software attach ratio at the moment (3.65) compared to the X1 (3.91), despite leading 2:1 in hardware sales.

Basically, there currently aren't many must-have games for PS4 (same as X1), but more people are picking up the PS4 anyway simply because it's been a hot commodity and its what their friends are playing.

I just want to point out that this underlined sentence makes no sense whatsoever.

Other than that, I believe PS4's best selling point is that it is the best home console.

And why exactly doesn't it make sense?  The PS4 is outselling the X1 2:1, yet it has a lower software attach ratio, which means many of the people who bought a PS4 aren't exactly running out there to buy games for it.

PS4 software as sold over 47 million units, while XB1 software has sold 27 million units, so PS4 has still sold much more software overall.

Around the Network
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
curl-6 said:

Pretty much why I see no reason for me to buy one.

That!

He didn't see any reason to get a PS3, so of course he wouldn't care about PS4.

GTAexpert said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
curl-6 said:

Pretty much why I see no reason for me to buy one.

That!

He didn't see any reason to get a PS3, so of course he wouldn't care about PS4.

Hmm, well, I will get a ps4 when more console exclusives come out that I want just like how I got my ps3

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I dont see what the suprise is. I learned this lesson back with the PS2.

The PS2 had a terrible first year aswell and it sold like hot cakes. The Dreamcast had a bunch of exclusives both great looking and innovative and the general gamer pooped on it.

This doesnt surprise me in the least. I already know this happens with Playstation systems. SEGA and Nintendo made an almost irreversable blunder with the 32 bit era. PSOne was the savior and ever since then the consumer throws its faith behind its savior.

The PS3 was a blunder, but by sticking to it until the next generation, Sony managed to keep that goodwill.

NightDragon83 said:
Burek said:
NightDragon83 said:
I think the PS4's biggest selling points in its first year on the market were that A) It was $100 cheaper than the X1, and B), M$ was deemed the Lord of All Evil after E3 2013, and therefore buying a PS4 was the best way to give them the finger.

Had nothing to do with the software really... 8 out of the top 10 best selling PS4 games are multi-platform, multi-generational titles. Its top-selling exclusives 1 year out are launch title KZ: Shadow Fall, inFAMOUS: Second Son, a remastered version of TLOU, and launch title Knack which was also packed in with the system in other regions. It actually has a lower software attach ratio at the moment (3.65) compared to the X1 (3.91), despite leading 2:1 in hardware sales.

Basically, there currently aren't many must-have games for PS4 (same as X1), but more people are picking up the PS4 anyway simply because it's been a hot commodity and its what their friends are playing.

I just want to point out that this underlined sentence makes no sense whatsoever.

Other than that, I believe PS4's best selling point is that it is the best home console.

And why exactly doesn't it make sense?  The PS4 is outselling the X1 2:1, yet it has a lower software attach ratio, which means many of the people who bought a PS4 aren't exactly running out there to buy games for it.

I'm really disappointed you have to ask why? I guess you don't understand what an attach ratio is. It's OK, if you apply yourself more, I'm sure you'll one day realize where you are mistaken. Until then, you really shouldn't use statistics you don't understand.

Around the Network

Same can be said for XB1. Neither has its killer app yet.

GribbleGrunger said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Yeah and Sony even said there will be less AAA from them. Less AAA from Sony is still more AAA than Microsoft (unless they pay outsider companies).

It's just amazing how the press are trying to perpectuate this 'fewer games' mantra in the face of facts. If the PS4 has few games then why aren't we seeing articles written about the other console which has even less? I think it clearly shows there's still huge biased in this industry ... No, strike that, it don't THINK, I KNOW.

They know why Sony has less games at the end of the year. The Order was pushed back. Its not really bias, but rather forgetting history of how a company's development history works and also a numbers game when viewing competition. Sony tends to have a better internal release window than their competition for the early portion of the year historically as well. MS knows that most people buy games at 4th quarter so they gun for that position if they cannot fill the rest. We've already seen where Microsofts exclusives go. They publish but they dont own the IP's.

As a PS3 / Wii U owner, i agree.

I saw no reason to buy PS4 so soon. I think i will wait a price drop/good bundle/slim.

From my PoV consoles are not investment, since they lose value over time (along with their games), so i see no reason to run unless a killer app reveals itself.

Vasto said:
DonFerrari said:
Vasto said:
I agree with the OP.

We all know you do... next week they will put an article for X1 first year, let's see what they put and your reaction then.

I dont need to wait on an article to tell me anything about PS4 and Xbox One when I own both systems.

yeah im not racist because i have black friends.

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

vkaraujo said:
As a PS3 / Wii U owner, i agree.

I saw no reason to buy PS4 so soon. I think i will wait a price drop/good bundle/slim.

From my PoV consoles are not investment, since they lose value over time (along with their games), so i see no reason to run unless a killer app reveals itself.

ps4 and xbone first year is better than any console in the history.

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)