By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - October 2014 NPD Thread!

lol just realized that NPD was out few days later :P

as always XB1 is overtracked by 50k, WiiU overtracked by 20k and PS4 is undertacked by 4k (pretty close)

why VGC always overtracking XB1 anyway?

Around the Network
drdante said:
lol just realized that NPD was out few days later :P

as always XB1 is overtracked by 50k, WiiU overtracked by 20k and PS4 is undertacked by 4k (pretty close)

why VGC always overtracking XB1 anyway?

because their algorithm is based on previous numbers, and X360 had a better performance and it inflates X1 numbers a little.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Ninsect said:
NBA Live 15 sold "well below 25k" while 2k15 did 1.1m lol

so 2K has pretty much killed off EA for basketball 

Hiku said:
binary solo said:

I want to be able to openly discuss the numbers. If I can't do that then I'm not interested in secret squirrel stuff where some people know the numbers but can't talk about them and others don't.

Would you count making these topics invisible to anyone with less than for example 50 posts as open?
Because in that case most people would know the numbers. I think that's easy to achieve for most people, and most/all our active members are already beyond that post count. But people "checking up on VGC" would probably not think of making 50 posts to find potential hidden topics.

Also, it probably wouldn't have to stay that way forever, since if another leaker emerged they may not care if VGC shows the numbers openly.

I detest the idea that post count should determine access to any thread. Someone might be a member for a long time but not post very often. I am fine with NPD threads being closed to any lurkers and anyone currently on a ban, which then includes Gaffers hopping on here to look at the thread and going back to Gaf to bitch some more about VGC. It also includes not putting sales nujmbers in the title, relative position is OK. I'm also in favour of a ban on anyone (from now on) trash talking any Gaffers in the NPD thread. While I don't agree with placing significant restrictions on VGC members being able to see the NPD numbers and talk about them, any trash talk about Gaffers, esp the leakers, is biting the hand that feeds. And even if lurkers can't access the thread it's still bad form to talk shit about people who can't defend themselves directly.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Hiku said:
DonFerrari said:
Hiku said:

I didn't say it was to stop the further distribution of the illegal material. I said the information, as in everything that surrounds it, which they can own, and can be neccesary to link something to a person. I don't remember the extent of the details, but I know some sites have done it. Either way it was just an example. The point is that even those who do these things tend to take precautions.

As for not respecting the wishes of someone who didn't obey a contract, you're acting as if you've never downloaded a song, movie, series, etc or anything ilegal in your life. You probably have, and I'm sure you knew full well that someone else owns the rights to it and doesn't want you to obtain it that way, but didn't care. I doubt many in our generation are in a position to look down on someone else for doing something illegal online at some point or other. Just because one person signs a contract and one doesn't doesnt mean it's not illegal.

Anyway, the focus isn't how or why Aqua is doing what she is doing. It's what do we want to do, for us.

Why do you assume that I said I never pirated anything?

What I said is that someone that is breaking a contract to release info they don't own and legally can't release shouldn't ask people not to spread it. If I do something illegal and someone make the world knows I did it, I can't blame or be mad at the person who did it, because I was at fault when doing the illegal activity.

And about obfuscation... we ask VGC to have auto trim/collapse quote trees so we don't need to edit on devices that make that difficult or the mods have to complain about it. And that is a everytime need and even so we don't get it. And you think we should invest energy in making a cumbersome system to protect the demand that someone that despise this site and shit over their contract?

I didn't assume that. But since you keep basing your argument on something that's not relevant to what I'm talking about, (the bolded parts) the only thing left was the illegal act itself. And on that regard, not many of us can look down on others.

Mentioning what Aqua thinks of this site or the morality of his actions is irrelevant to what I'm asking here. So if you want to discuss that, you can do it with one of the people who are talking about that. I'm asking what we can do for us and for the benefit of this site. Just because that may coincide with doing what Aqua wants doesn't mean that it's for the benifit of Aqua, or that one should ignore discussing potential benifits for this forum and its members because of what someone else may think of this site.
Or are you saying that you'd rather let something negative happen to this site without even trying to find a solution, because of what another person on the internet may think of VGC? Because those are the replies I keep getting from you. And I doubt that's what you really think.

When put in this terms then I agree we could look at it. The problem is that we probably won't see any site changes. Any proposition made must be something the mods are able to do with current tools.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
Hiku said:
binary solo said:
Hiku said:

Would you count making these topics invisible to anyone with less than for example 50 posts as open?
Because in that case most people would know the numbers. I think that's easy to achieve for most people, and most/all our active members are already beyond that post count. But people "checking up on VGC" would probably not think of making 50 posts to find potential hidden topics.

Also, it probably wouldn't have to stay that way forever, since if another leaker emerged they may not care if VGC shows the numbers openly.

I detest the idea that post count should determine access to any thread. Someone might be a member for a long time but not post very often. I am fine with NPD threads being closed to any lurkers and anyone currently on a ban, which then includes Gaffers hopping on here to look at the thread and going back to Gaf to bitch some more about VGC. It also includes not putting sales nujmbers in the title, relative position is OK. I'm also in favour of a ban on anyone (from now on) trash talking any Gaffers in the NPD thread. While I don't agree with placing significant restrictions on VGC members being able to see the NPD numbers and talk about them, any trash talk about Gaffers, esp the leakers, is biting the hand that feeds. And even if lurkers can't access the thread it's still bad form to talk shit about people who can't defend themselves directly.

I see. How would you propose to keep lurkers out of the NPD threads in that case, is not by post count?
As for the trash talk going on in these topics, I also feel that they're counter productive. It can only make things worse, and not better.

Lurkers, by defintion, are non-members, therefore post count is a non-issue. Basically a thread title in the forum list will only show up if you are logged in to your account. It will be hidden from view for anyone on the site who is not logged in. Or it will display to people not logged in to show the thread exists but it will be greyed out and unclickable.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

One simple option to prevent google search and that we don't need any special tools is instead of putting the numbers in the title give a range of fixed interval (like +-2500k) and in the thread whoever post the numbers must do it by embeeding a pic not writting.

KyleeStrutt said:

So.

3DS+Mortem+PSP+DS= ~172k

3DS lower than last month (is it okay this way mods?)

Honestly this is a far bigger concern for Nintendo than the Wii U. 

Lets say that's 150k 3DS with Smash Brothers ... that's a disaster. 

Soundwave said:Honestly this is a far bigger concern for Nintendo than the Wii U. 

Lets say that's 150k 3DS with Smash Brothers ... that's a disaster. 

Its at least 10k lower than that actually.

Stolen from a gaf user:

Code:

3DS 2014 PSP 2008 NDS 2008 January 97 230 251 February 153 243 587 March 159 297 698 April 106 193 415 May 97 182 452 June 152 337 783 July 108 222 608 August 91 253 518 September 141 238 537 October 138 193 491 November 421 1570 December 1020 3040 Through October 1242 2388 5340 Total 3829 9950
VGC formatting sucks
Quote the post to see table format

The One and Only

VizionEck.com