By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does this site track games sold digitally?

Just curious about the approach VGChartz has when it comes to digital distribution and games sold over Xbox live and PSN.

Is it just an estimation formila? As in:

Retails sold X ~25% = Digital

Retail + Digital = Total sold?

Reson I ask is that I literally don't have anyone on my friends list that bought Halo MCC at retail. As this trend continues, it is going to get harder and harder to estimate game sales for this site. 

Around the Network

You would think someone who joined in 2008 would know this by now....

iTechHeads said:
You would think someone who joined in 2008 would know this by now....

You would...but it happens.

You would also think that people aren't jerks by default. 

disolitude said:

You would...but it happens.

You would also think that people aren't jerks by default. 

But being a jerk is fun...!

Nope, they don't track digital sales at all.

Around the Network

I think there is one instance where digital sales are tracked if a digital copy is included in a bundle. If I remember correctly Knack had a digital copy included with every PS4 at the Japanese launch and those sales were tracked.

Thanks for the replies everyone. So no digital eh?

Isn't it a little silly to celebrate specific game sales when we don't see the full picture? This applies to preorders as well. With game "preloading" and installing available on next gen consoles, I see many people pre ordering their games digitally.

They don't even track digital consoles let alone games.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

poklane said:
I think there is one instance where digital sales are tracked if a digital copy is included in a bundle. If I remember correctly Knack had a digital copy included with every PS4 at the Japanese launch and those sales were tracked.

I don't think digital bundles are counted either.

That's why games like Sunset Overdrive sold relatively few numbers. Because Xbox bundles only include a digital code. (Most PlayStation bundles include a physical copy, such as TLOU:R, Destiny, and Knack in Japan)

"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

-Samuel Clemens

Nope! Digital sales should be tracked, but they aren't sadly.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---