By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does this site track games sold digitally?

Ka-pi96 said:
AZWification said:

Nope! Digital sales should be tracked, but they aren't sadly.

Yeah, they should be. But how can they be? The only way to get anything that would be even close to accurate is to actually ask Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo and Steam for their weekly digital sales figures. That just won't happen, so there isn't anything that can be done about it.

In Television advertising they use something called GRPs which takes a population sample and calculates the audience reach and viewership of TV shows and then applies it to a large area based on that sample. It isn't 100% accurate obviously, but it is close enough for advertisers to use it to spend billions of dollars per year in Canada alone.

I feel something like this could be used to measure digital sales, but it will take a ton of work to put together. 

Around the Network
disolitude said:
iTechHeads said:
You would think someone who joined in 2008 would know this by now....

You would...but it happens.

You would also think that people aren't jerks by default. 

That question has been answered a million times and if you go to any country's sales like this one http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/41945/Global/ it says "The week's top-selling games at retail ranked by unit sales"

You asked the quesiton. I answered it. Sorry if it hurt your feelings but it only takes 1 second to find this out It didn't deserve a thread and especially not from a long-time member.

How would one track digital sales? o.o

iTechHeads said:
disolitude said:
iTechHeads said:

That question has been answered a million times and if you go to any country's sales like this one http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/41945/Global/ it says "The week's top-selling games at retail ranked by unit sales"

You asked the quesiton. I answered it. Sorry if it hurt your feelings but it only takes 1 second to find this out It didn't deserve a thread and especially not from a long-time member.

Didn't hurt my feelings at all, but you did look like a major wiseass.

If you don't like a thread, just move along. There are lots of threads trending right now where they are discussing pixel counting or bickering about made up sales figures where you can go and waste your time.

disolitude said:

If you don't like a thread, just move along. There are lots of threads trending right now where they are discussing pixel counting or bickering about made up sales figures where you can go and waste your time.

Now you're claiming VGC figures are made up?

Well now you've just stepped out of line, sir!

Around the Network

This site doesn't really "track" anything per se.

NintendoPie said:
disolitude said:

Now you're claiming VGC figures are made up?

Well now you've just stepped out of line, sir!

haha...reported? incoming ban hammer?

Mystro-Sama said:

One option could be using the power of mathematics and surveying.

On the PC, users could install a program that tracks what game you're playing, similar to how companies track who-watches-what on TV, people opt into having their viewing habbits recorded.

It's not impossible, but is it worth it?

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

disolitude said:
iTechHeads said:
disolitude said:
iTechHeads said:

I'm replying to a comment since you replied to me. That's it man. Hopefully next time you take a second to think about the topic before making a thread. As for there being other threads, I'm off to one of those right now. Goodnight.

Pemalite said:
Mystro-Sama said:

One option could be using the power of mathematics and surveying.

On the PC, users could install a program that tracks what game you're playing, similar to how companies track who-watches-what on TV, people opt into having their viewing habbits recorded.

It's not impossible, but is it worth it?

No, since none of that is really reliable.