By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Looking To Include Microsoft’s DRM ‘PlayReady’ In PS4

GribbleGrunger said:

What the heck are you on about? The only reason MS mentioned their family plan is because it DIDN'T EXIST until after they removed the ability for it to happen. If you've got something that might persuade people to accept DRM do you:

a/ announce it before you remove DRM

b/ announce it after you remove DRM

It was a complete fabrication to try and make those that were against DRM look bad, and for a while it actually worked because you got complete idiots who wanted DRM back. MS play their fans like old fiddles. It was BS just like when MS announce Twitch for the XB1 just because they saw Sony announce Streaming using the share button. That's why Twitch didn't launch on the system. They were waiting for Twitch to supply an app and THEN it was included. MS play this game all the time and the fans eat it up.

Actually, you don't announce something before you're ready to discuss the details of it. 

What Microsoft did was announce what it was committed to doing, which was Family Share.  However, it didn't have the details of the Family Share worked out.  When the press received conflicting information about Family Share, and misinformation about the plan was being circulated on the Internet, they went into panic mode and started talking out details.

I personally believe the rumor that Sony jumped the gun on their console announcement, which caught Microsoft off-guard, leaving them behind the eight-ball.  How this impacts the Family Share plan, is, I think the technical capabilities were there, however I don't think Microsoft intended to initially offer the Family Share plan as ultimately suggested.  When the negative reaction became overwhelming, Microsoft scrambled to announce what they ultimately had planned for the feature, not what they were necessarily going to offer initially.

Family Share, if implemented right, will offer some great features. 

Around the Network
Dgc1808 said:
Does anyone have any experience with PlayReady? How intrusive is PlayReady? I've never heard of it.

PlayReady is the DRM technology that Microsoft utilized for Games for Windows, and is the sucessor to previous Microsoft DRM technologies.  It's used on all DRM-restricted content offered by Microsoft.   

Well, that's how Microsoft makes the money. Software sales.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

MohammadBadir said:

Ugh, DRM.

i understand the sentiment but the lack of drm is one of the reasons why the dreamcast died, i was part of that problem i would rent a game then copy it to disc and just play it on my dreamcast, i at one time owned ever game my blockbuster had for the system but only 1 was official.

mornelithe said:
vivster said:
SWORDF1SH said:
vivster said:
Because the PS4 was completely free of DRM before.

Exactly. People seem to think that the PS4 doesn't employ any DRM at because Sony were against the DRM that MS wanted to use. There are different types of DRM that varies in restriction strictness. Not all DRM is bad.

All DRM is bad for pirates.

Not even remotely true, the problem withDRM is that there are allot of people out there who want to crack it just to be able to say they did it, as a sort of feather in the cap.  The pirates come in well after the crack has been done.  Think George Hotz for example.  So really, the only people impacted by DRM are the average consumer.  Pirates just wait until the work's been done for them.  

Then we have a different definition of pirate.

For me the pirates are the ones cracking the copies. The lame mainstream consumer downloading the copies are just some sheep. I mean you download a pirated copy, which means it was already pirated. So the ones downloading it aren't the pirates.

but anyway, I think we're on the same page. No point in arguing over semantics.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:
mornelithe said:
vivster said:
SWORDF1SH said:
vivster said:
Because the PS4 was completely free of DRM before.

Exactly. People seem to think that the PS4 doesn't employ any DRM at because Sony were against the DRM that MS wanted to use. There are different types of DRM that varies in restriction strictness. Not all DRM is bad.

All DRM is bad for pirates.

Not even remotely true, the problem withDRM is that there are allot of people out there who want to crack it just to be able to say they did it, as a sort of feather in the cap.  The pirates come in well after the crack has been done.  Think George Hotz for example.  So really, the only people impacted by DRM are the average consumer.  Pirates just wait until the work's been done for them.  

Then we have a different definition of pirate.

For me the pirates are the ones cracking the copies. The lame mainstream consumer downloading the copies are just some sheep. I mean you download a pirated copy, which means it was already pirated. So the ones downloading it aren't the pirates.

but anyway, I think we're on the same page. No point in arguing over semantics.

Yeah we're basically on the same page, although I'd say folks like Geohotz welcome harder and harder DRM, just for the challenge.  But yeah we're basically thinking the same thing.

Sorry about the quote trees omw back from Blizzcon on tablet, not sure how to easily edit this stuff down.

PS4 gamers are already paying Microsoft money with Minecraft.

We're still talking about DRM on movies and music? Shouldn't we be concentrating on 'gaming'?

The PS5 Exists. 

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Gawd, MS has their hands on everything now a days huh? They get money from Android, they get money from Apple and if Sony does this, they will probably get money from Sony. Its almost like, why bother winning when you can make money from the winners? Loll

That's not only "nowadays", though. MS has bought and made other companies dependent with license stuff from the very early days on. That's how they went big and still go.

I wouldn't go as far as the OP saying MS is the best at software, though. They know how to run business but not how to code properly. And before the shitstorm starts, yes, I have used every desktop OS, iOS, android and Win8 on pretty much every device so I know the others work way better for my needs while MS software tends to break without any apparent reason and I'd rather spend my time working or with entertainment than with fixing drivers, hardware detection issues and regular formating.

TheWPCTraveler said:

tiffac said:

Isn't that something to do with the Android OS? I thought Google is paying for that one and not the phone manufacturers?

Nope, juat a classic case of Google being an asshole because "it's open-source," so the OEMs suffer the cost.

So Google has the manufacturers pay extra to use android and then Google pays MS? Did I got that right? (Because I feel liked I missed it by a mile here)