By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ocarina of Time vs Marjora's Mask

Which one??

Ocarina of Time! 85 44.74%

Majora's Mask! 88 46.32%

zelda suks and i just here 2 troll 17 8.95%

Total:190

Where did all these MM fans come from? Usually OoT is way more. popular. 

Around the Network

Ocarina is one of the best games ever made, Majora isn't even a good game.

curl-6 said:

I wouldn't say Majora isn't good at all but it has a lot of poor design choices. It still has a solid core of pure Zelda. Aonuma's comments about the remake have me hopeful that MM3D will be up there with the best of 'em.

RCTjunkie said:

Where did all these MM fans come from? Usually OoT is way more. popular. 

Not on the internet.

the_dengle said:
curl-6 said:

I wouldn't say Majora isn't good at all but it has a lot of poor design choices. It still has a solid core of pure Zelda. Aonuma's comments about the remake have me hopeful that MM3D will be up there with the best of 'em.

That's actually one of the more painful aspects for me, that it has so much potential and such a powerfully "Zelda" core, but that it's all trapped within a cage of inconvenient, unintuitive, and just plain frustrating mechanics. :(

curl-6 said:

That's actually one of the more painful aspects for me, that it has so much potential and such a powerfully "Zelda" core, but that it's all trapped within a cage of inconvenient, unintuitive, and just plain frustrating mechanics. :(

Sounds like you're not a fan of the time limit/cycle, which honestly isn't one of my problems with the game. Not inherently, anyway.

I think it might be interesting if you can choose to go back to the start of the second day or the start of the third day if you want. Sort of like how Pikmin 3 lets you return to a previous day. That way if you really mess up on the second or third day, you don't have to completely restart the cycle and redo everything.

Around the Network

Here's a more pertinent question: of the people who hail Ocarina, how many have actually played the game in recent times, and NOT back when it came out. Or how many love Ocarina and do not have the game as one of their first 3D games?

From my experience, nostalgia and the WOW factor it had in 1998 goes a long way in making Ocarina so popular. To me, it's a decent game, but not "Greatest of All Time" material.

the_dengle said:
curl-6 said:

Sounds like you're not a fan of the time limit/cycle, which honestly isn't one of my problems with the game. Not inherently, anyway.

I think it might be interesting if you can choose to go back to the start of the second day or the start of the third day if you want. Sort of like how Pikmin 3 lets you return to a previous day. That way if you really mess up on the second or third day, you don't have to completely restart the cycle and redo everything.

Yeah I found the 3 day limit an intrusive pain in the arse that made the game more trouble than it was worth.

artur-fernand said:
Here's a more pertinent question: of the people who hail Ocarina, how many have actually played the game in recent times, and NOT back when it came out. Or how many love Ocarina and do not have the game as one of their first 3D games?

From my experience, nostalgia and the WOW factor it had in 1998 goes a long way in making Ocarina so popular. To me, it's a decent game, but not "Greatest of All Time" material.

Well I feel the same way about all the Majora's Mask love, but then again I'm not in the habit of proclaiming particular games to be the greatest of all time. Since I've only played a fraction of the games frequently ranked among the best, I hardly feel qualified to make such a judgement.

I have, however, played most Zelda games multiple times, and I'm confident in my assertion that Ocarina is far superior to Majora in design. Some people enjoy MM more and that's fine, but if they want to have a real debate about which is the "better" Zelda game, I will argue in favor of Ocarina.

curl-6 said:

Yeah I found the 3 day limit an intrusive pain in the arse that made the game more trouble than it was worth.

I don't think it caused me any major problems on my playthrough. One cycle I completed the second dungeon with under a minute left on the clock. It was pretty awesome, actually. But if time had run out before I'd finished, I might have felt somewhat annoyed.

artur-fernand said:

I've beaten it 8 or so times, the most recent time being when the remake came out, and I still love it. It's not my favourite Zelda, but it's in my top 3. It was one of my first 3D games though, but that doesn't really have an effect on my judgement, especially seeing as how I like newer 3D Zeldas more.

I just resumed my playthrough of Majora's Mask (almost at the Stone Tower temple) and it's cementing it's place as my least favourite 3D Zelda. My main love for the series comes from the dungeons, and MM's are pretty average. I know the Stone Tower Temple is supposed to be pretty inventive, so I'll reserve my judement on that until I play it, but even if I do reall like it, it doesn't make up for the first 3. They're not memorable in the slightest, and they don't really do anything exciting. Great Bay Temple is close, but I am not a fan of controlling Zora Link in the water. It doesn't help that there's only 4 dungeons either. I get that the game has a wonderfully unique environment and it has pretty much the best sidequests in the series, but those are not nearly as important to me as what I'm doing in the main story path. I couldn't care less about the sidequests. Atmosphere has more of an effect though, I'll give it that. I'm also not a fan of having to switch masks. It's always something I don't really like in games, where you have to constantly switch personas for different abilities. Just breaks up the game.

Ocarina of Time, on the other hand, remains one of my favourite games ever, as it has very few of these problems, and has some amazing dungeons. When I can replay a game that many times and not get tired of it, I know the game is something special.