By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Replaying Halo: CE makes me realize how little AI has evolved

Tagged games:

forest-spirit said:
You can't take fancy screenshots and have resolution fights over AI so developers are not going to focus on it.

Thus gameplay will almost always play second fiddle to graphics.

Around the Network

The AI in The Last of Us wasn't very impressive compared to the AI in Halo 4.

Part of the problem I've had is that level design prevents AI from really taking off. I know when I was playing Tomb Raider that the AI caught me off guard several times by flanking me, but I usually didn't have to worry about that because the levels were so closed.

TurboElder said:
Play The Last of Us a game with the best AI ever.

i have played the ps4 version , an d they arefar from the best. they are not bad but very inconsistent. the game was very easy because the AI werent that smart.halo , fear are the still the best for fps Ai for last gen and this gen i have to say, that goes to alien isolation.

CGI-Quality said:
Areal-Llort said:
The AI in The Last of Us wasn't very impressive compared to the AI in Halo 4.

I'd say they were fairly even. The enemy AI in TLOU was solid, as were many of the enemies in Halo 4. Both had their share of duds, though, which is why I wouldn't quite put them up there with the bg boys.

In TLOU pps4 version, i use to run in front of them on survival difficulty to hit them with a weapon and most of them didn't react to me being in front of them. i also  use to make noise and kill one and then make sure the next ai hears it and kill them on teh same spot the pervious AI died. They don't check the area and sometimes do  not take cover lol. The clicker is only powerful because of its one hit kill. even that enemy wasn't that smart.

Around the Network

That's a really good point but there are actually some games with smart enemies.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

@cgi quality -- Fair enough sir. i was quite disappointed with teh AI. it was teh awesome story telling that kept me playing the game til the end.

MohammadBadir said:
You can't market AI like you can with Graphics!

Shadow of Morder just did with the nemesis system.

CGI-Quality said:
Fusioncode said:
The Last of Us has some pretty great AI. I remember RE4 blowing my mind when enemies started dodging my bullets. Ashley wasn't very good but at least you could make her hide in a box every fight. There was a lot of hype over the AI in RAGE.

Damn, how could I forget TLOU?! The human enemy AI was superb!

Really? I found the AI in Last of Us so predictable at times, both humans and Infected. I especially remember the human AI in the hotel. Just watching them, and they followed the exact same path. So easy to sneak up and kill them when they're doing that. I remember them being better during actual combat, but during stealth, they were very predictable.

dane007 said:
TurboElder said:
Play The Last of Us a game with the best AI ever.

i have played the ps4 version , an d they arefar from the best. they are not bad but very inconsistent. the game was very easy because the AI werent that smart.halo , fear are the still the best for fps Ai for last gen and this gen i have to say, that goes to alien isolation.

Does the AI get better in Alien Isolation? I just finished the hospital ward (chapter 5 I think). So far the humans weren't smart (running into a bottleneck one by one to get smacked in the head), nor the working joes, and the alien randomly roams the area near you or runs around in the ceiling. He can't find me under a table but gets me when I'm in a designated hiding spot. (Btw totally breaks immersion when Ripley slams the door shut getting in a hiding spot)
The game is very good at building tension, and I get why the alien hovers near you to keep the danger level up. But it's only challenging because it's one hit death and reload from last save point. I would compare the AI level of the alien with the ghost behaviour of pacman.
I'm still loving it, sneaking around with that nerve wracking motion tracker out. Setting off alarms and disabling doors to trap or delay the alien didn't work at all though. So far TLoU's AI was much better.