By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Replaying Halo: CE makes me realize how little AI has evolved

Tagged games:

I blame the multiplayer obsession. Devs embraced multiplayer because it meant they don't have to bother with writing a good AI anymore. And that's why we don't have proper single player modes in a lot of pvp centric games anymore.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Aerys said:
You didnt play alien isolation it seems.

I don't know. AI in Alien are not really smart and I would say AI from Halo are better in many ways.
In Alien, the androids/humans are just dumb... And then the Alien itself is just either fleeing (fire) or moving toward a sound but it does nothing exceptionnal. I mean if he gets to you, you are dead that 's it.

I'm not downplaying Alien by the way. I completed it and LOVED it. But the awesomess of the game is not coming from the AI I would say :)

For the most part, AI hasn't evolved since the 90s. Then there's some examples where AI has shown significant advancement, but those cases are relatively rare. Why? Because most devs don't care about AI. AI development can be difficult, and graphics sell more than AI.

Friends always told me dead space 2 had some clever AI

EVERY GAMERS WORST NIGHTMARE...THE TANGLING CABLES MONSTER!

Coffee is for closers!

CGI-Quality said:
vivster said:
I blame the multiplayer obsession. Devs embraced multiplayer because it meant they don't have to bother with writing a good AI anymore. And that's why we don't have proper single player modes in a lot of pvp centric games anymore.

This is spot on! I noticed the trend just as the last gen started and it continued for most of it. The fact that we have games that stand out is a testament to this! AI has taken a serious back seat in modern gaming.

I have to agree with that. MP played a role into that.
It is a shame. Actually the only "good" and challenging time in games with AI are when they are cheating (knows where you are etc...) and then it becomes so freaking annoying some time. I would love to see games (not only FPS but games like Dragon Age Inquisition or MGS 5 for instance) coming out with real AI (no cheating) and be really challenging in SP.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Hey guys! Let's name some games with really good Artificial Intelligence! Not super tough but just smart enough to make things challenging.

I think MGS5 will be pretty high up there. The Ground Zeroes demo was decent in that regard.

Uncharted 1. Never had a more annoying AI to deal with. I mean the head fake. Impossible to kill.

EVERY GAMERS WORST NIGHTMARE...THE TANGLING CABLES MONSTER!

Coffee is for closers!

The AI in half life is as good or better and that's older.  Fear also had great AI.  AI is complex and prob the hardest thing to do well coding wise. 

CGI-Quality said:
d21lewis said:
Hey guys! Let's name some games with really good Artificial Intelligence! Not super tough but just smart enough to make things challenging.

I think MGS5 will be pretty high up there. The Ground Zeroes demo was decent in that regard.

As I mentioned above, Halo C.E., Killzone 2, F.E.A.R., the entire S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series are the best bets. TLOU had great enemy AI, too, just not on that level.

* takes a chance * I though ODST had decent AI too! * hides in a corner *

I thought the same of ODST as the experience stood out from all Halos. However I realized that is because you are not playing as a spartan hence you have to approach the game completely differently. You need to approach enemies with more strategy than usual, hence paying attention to the AI is key.

I completely agree.

curl-6 said:

Seriously, this game is 13 years old, and while its friendly AI are admittedly thicker than a frozen milkshake, the enemy AI wouldn't be out of place in a modern game. They flee when outgunned, push forward when they have their advantage, evade, hell, a lot of enemy AI in current games don't have as much self-preservation. 

Yeah, there's been refinements over the years, but outside of scripted moments, baddies today still run through simple, predictable routines in most games.

It would be seriously cool if a game was made today with that as its major focus rather than graphics; bad guys that seem genuinely intelligent. 

One of the reasons why I hold Halo:CE so dear to my heart!