By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How many years does the 3DS have left?

When do you think the successor to the 3DS will launch? I think late 2017.After the release of the N3DS I think that was a sign that it would be later too

Around the Network

The HDS probably wont be announced until 2017, and the 3DS won't be phased out till like 2020.

"I think it will be the HDS"-Me in regards to Nintendo's next handheld.

2015 with the New 3DS...?

Hoping that the rumored Fusion platform will release in late 2017/2018, considering a unified platform could be the right direction for Nintendo. 3DS would last maybe a few more years? As for the original 3DS only, we'll probably see it slowly phase out.

I cants stand how weak the 3DS is. I hope that 2015 will be it ast year.

Around the Network

With the n3ds on the way, it should extend the life of the 3ds so 2017-2018

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

2017 is my bet.
Maybe 2018...

I'm thinkin early 2018 cause of the New 3DS, especially if that Fusion platform rumour is true cause that will be long enough for the Wii U to get a successor too

3DS successor will launch in spring/summer 2016, book it (5 years after the 3DS). 

3DS is simply not strong enough of a platform to warrant a 5+ year lifecycle, it's already fading fast, even in Japan the introduction of a New 3DS model can't boost it above its previous years sales even for more than a couple of weeks.

This thing is sinking and fast. Nintendo's yearly handheld shipments are reaching lows that haven't been seen since before the launch of the GBC and Pokemon in the late 1990s. 

That's ok though, there's nothing wrong with a 5 year life cycle. If Nintendo could do this gen over, I gauruntee you they would not give the Wii a 6 year cycle ... that was simply too long and they lost too much brand momentum because of it. DS lifecycle was also a year too long.

If they don't provide a real next-gen hanadheld update they are going to completely lose even the kids market, because the 3DS is laughably outdated compared to modern iPads/iPhones/Android tablets that have larger, higher resolution displays. Kids are not impressed with the 3DS anymore, it's yesterdays news. 

Not coincidentally though by 2016, having Wii U level or even better graphics should be fairly easy to accomplish with a mobile chip. The new iPad Air 2 is honestly probably as powerful as the PS3/360, there's just no games that show it off, but it does have the raw horsepower now. By 2016, that level of chip will be even more affordable and powerful. Perfect for Nintendo. Interestingly too, AMD is claiming they have two big mobile contracts with big vendors won for 2016 that will integrate ARM ... that sounds a lot like a Nintendo handheld contract IMO.

I'm guessing together with the new home console, so 2018 earliest.